• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hecate and the Blue Boy

graveghoul

lately I have been very intrigued by Hecate but i must admit that snakes, dark horses, and black dogs scare the hell out of me. She's shown herself to me through alot of signs over the past few days and even in my reoccurring dreams when i was younger but i am quite frightened of her. I understand that coming from a Christian faith and media is the root of why her associations scare me but i know that when she has come to me, i feel a warmth and a closeness that i can't let go of. The more i research her, the more frightened i get. How am i to get over these fears? I wanted to call on her this new moon but i am afraid she will show herself in a frightening way not only to myself but the people i live with. Has anyone here had to battle with these notions as well? What have your experiences with her been?

After researching her, i couldn't sleep. I kept telling her "please don't scare me or my roomates. If you are going to show yourself, please do it in a manner that won't frighten anyone. There are children here that are easily frightened. " This may have been a selfish request but any parent would understand. I finally fell asleep and my dream consisted of a light blue colored preteen boy. He could have been a nymph. I called for protection and he showed up in my bed under my covers holding my arm. He was warm and nurturing. He had short black hair and watched over me whenever i needed him or just needed to talk to him. I found myself caring for him like a son or a sibling. He told me his name but i forgot. I have tattoos on my arms and he told me to remove them because they hurt him. Then the dream goes onto an ex boyfriend who was dressed in drag and was stealing money from the wallet of a rich tycoon type of man. Had no relevance im assuming. Then it switches to the x playing basketball, ignoring me (as usual) and i see these water dogs that were starving in a shadow pool. These dogs had fins but looked like regular muts. I fed them. Then i begin looking for the blue boy and i woke up. Ok, anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you think the blue boy was Hecate or someone else?

Treks

Hello. Maybe something in the air but this past week I've been preoccupied with Hekate a lot, myself. To the point of thinking about honouring her at new moon, but I haven't done that in 8 years.

I totally get the feeling of warmth and closeness. I also understand the fear. However, it helps to read her early history, before it was Romanised and the focus shifted to witchcraft. Learn about her epithets like Kourotrophos (nurse of children), Apotropaia (that turns away/protects), Phosphoros (bringing or giving light).

Remember the knife she holds is to cut the cord at birth as readily as it is to cut it at death.

There is nothing to be frightened of when she rules that which you're afraid of.

Think of her guiding Persephone out of the underworld with her shining torches. Think of her standing at the crossroads of your life to help light the way.

I'm sorry, I can't really comment on your blue boy dream, interpretation is not really my strong point.

graveghoul

Hello. Maybe something in the air but this past week I've been preoccupied with Hekate a lot, myself. To the point of thinking about honouring her at new moon, but I haven't done that in 8 years.

I totally get the feeling of warmth and closeness. I also understand the fear. However, it helps to read her early history, before it was Romanised and the focus shifted to witchcraft. Learn about her epithets like Kourotrophos (nurse of children), Apotropaia (that turns away/protects), Phosphoros (bringing or giving light).

Remember the knife she holds is to cut the cord at birth as readily as it is to cut it at death.

There is nothing to be frightened of when she rules that which you're afraid of.

Think of her guiding Persephone out of the underworld with her shining torches. Think of her standing at the crossroads of your life to help light the way.

I'm sorry, I can't really comment on your blue boy dream, interpretation is not really my strong point.

Thank you for your response. Yes i fail to differentiate the biased point of views, post Christianity. How exactly do you pay a deity back for their favors to you? Giving them mere mortal offerings seems so insufficient, doesn't it? My boyfriend has a theory that they will eventually just take what they want. What are your thoughts on this?

Treks

Hmm, to be honest I never saw it as a 'pay them back for favours'. You're better off asking some Hellenic recons that question. I guess a lot of it depends on the type of relationship you have with the deity. A one-off arrangement (I need help with this specific problem so I'm asking this deity specifically) would be different to an ongoing devotional relationship. I'm speaking from a devotional point of view.

Mortal offerings are all we have to give. But further than offerings of things like food, and libations, your time and energy can also be spent engaging in something of interest to the deity, with them in mind.

Personally, my formal offerings to Her were ritualistic prayer, food and libation at dusk on new moon (not dark moon, but the first day of moonlight). Throughout the month there were casual prayers, study of Her, and the regular relationship one has with their Goddess. And on Sundays I volunteered at a dog shelter, which was my way of offering time and effectiveness.

But I'm a pragmatist that way.

This page has some very good information about Her. http://www.angelfire.com/magic/moonrae/hecate.htm Don't let the URL fool you.

Last edited:

graveghoul

Ok i figured out who the blue boy was. More than lonely a spirit guide. I researched this symbolism.
The spirals on his body symbolize
Balance
Progress
Direction
Initiation
Centering
Expansion
Awareness
Connection
Journeying
Development

...and his skin color: Blue is the color of the sky and sea. It is often associated with depth and stability. It symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven.

And it helped that he was my guardian and a symbol of love.