• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hebrew and christian timekeeping

dan b

Hi there bible studyers,

I think the bible's simple, it's made by God for people. Does he only want to reach the educated theologians? I hope he enlightens us also. Look how easy timekeeping has been up until the modern age.

7000 years after Adam................................3000 AD

6000 years after Adam................................2000AD

5000 years after Adam................................1000AD

4000 years after Adam..............JESUS CHRIST CRUCIFIED

3000 years after Adam................................1000BC

2000 years after Adam................................2000BC

1000 years after Adam................................3000BC

....Time of Adam and Eve in Mesopotamia.........4000BC

HEBREW TIMEKEEPING.....................CHRISTIAN TIMEKEEPING

The Bible tells us that for six days God laboured creating this world and then rested on the seventh. In this same pattern but over six thousand years our world has followed similarly until the present time when we have arrived at the seventh day.

The Hebrew and Israelites have always begun their calendar from the time of Adam in Mesopotamia whom is generally thought to have lived around 4000BC. This would mean that their date would now be about 6000 years or more after Adam. With the culmination of this 6000 year period of world history, the Messiah is expected to arrive soon.

Christianity meanwhile, has set up it's own time-keeping calendar based on the same principle of a day equaling a thousand years. After Christ's crucifixion on Calvary Hill more than 2000 years ago, his followers, the Christian, began using their new calendar dating from his time in order to count the years until his return. The Bible tells us that Christ will rise again on the morning of the third day.

From the time of Christ, until the year 1000AD constituted the first day while from 1000AD until 2000AD would be the second day. The beginning of the 21st century is therefore the beginning of the third 1000 year period after Jesus Christ's crucifixion and is therefore the morning of the third day. In this way it appears that the Christians and the earlier Hebrews were both expectant of the coming Messiah at this same time. dan b

dan b

Jesus said " The spirit of the Lord is upon me,..........to preach the acceptable year of the Lord." Luke 4;18,19

Just as the second Genesis Creation Story of Chapter 2 described the beginnng of Civilizational history(4000BC), so to when Jesus Christ arrived he also proclaimed and set a year. The meaning of "the acceptable year of our Lord" is made more clear when the following scriptures are taken into account. These Bible verses are the reason that the present day Christian Callendar was designed.

........,be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 2 Peter 3;8 Ps.84;10 Rev.20

Matt.17;22 ...The Son of Man shall be betrayed into the hands of Men;

Matt.17;23 And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again.

Luke 18;33 And they shall scourge him, and put him to death; and the third day he shall rise again.

To set this date Jesus knew that he had to "go away." It made the whole of Civilization change their calendar for it. It showed us God is with us. So he said to his desiples;

John 16;7....If I go not away, the comforter will not come unto you; But if I depart, I will send him...

If Jesus had not gone away, his followers, Peter and the other Christians would not have known at what date to set the calendar. This is because the calendar that they designed and which we still use today has been a count awaiting the year 2000AD which is as the beginning of the 3d day. Christians believe that just as Jesus Christ had bveen crucified and had risen on the third day it would happen again after 2000 years. dan b

Smoke

Done here.
Orthodox Christians traditionally use(d) a calendar era based on Creation, like the Jews. However, the Orthodox era differs from the Jewish. The Jewish year 5770 and the Orthodox year 7518 both began in September 2009.

In Orthodox Russia, it was commonly believed that the year 7000 (1491-1492 CE) would mark the end of the world, making a perfect "week" of thousand-year "days." When the end didn't come, church leaders just shrugged and calculated the dates of Pascha for the next thousand years. :)

dan b

In the Bible a day is taken for mankind as 1000 years.2 Pet.3;8. Following this line of reasoning the Genesis second part of the 6th day when Mankind was created would historically be the period from 1500-2000AD. This in modern history books and encyclopedias is called " the Age of Enlightenment." Protestantism brought in this age, rebelling against the Roman Catholic Church in western Eruope and against the Russian Orthodox Church at this same time in eastern Europe. Thats why the Orthodox Christians saw the end in 1500AD. It was their end because it was the Protestants beginning. In Russia the Protestants were called Doukhobors. History and Religion are mutually correspondent and alls in order. dan b

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Hi there bible studyers,

The Hebrew and Israelites have always begun their calendar from the time of Adam in Mesopotamia whom is generally thought to have lived around 4000BC. This would mean that their date would now be about 6000 years or more after Adam. With the culmination of this 6000 year period of world history, the Messiah is expected to arrive soon.
The current Hebrew year is 5770.

Smoke

Done here.
Thats why the Orthodox Christians saw the end in 1500AD. It was their end because it was the Protestants beginning. In Russia the Protestants were called Doukhobors.
Only it wasn't the end of Orthodoxy. Also, Protestantism has nothing to do with Orthodoxy, and from the Orthodox point of view Protestantism and Roman Catholicism are just two sides of the same coin. The Doukhobors began much later than 1492, have very little in common with Protestants, and never gained the power or influence in Russia that Protestants gained in the West.

dan b

The Christian religion is the result of Jesus gathering a re-generation of the 'lost tribes of Israel."Matt.15;24 - Acts 1;6 - Matt.19;28 That would be the "thy kingdom come on earth" that Christians have been praying for.Matt.6;10 But more importantly, Jesus came to save our souls.Jn.3;16
So when the Christian Churches formed they were at first either Orthodox or Catholic. This corresponds to the 12 sons of Israel having two mothers in Raches and Leah. The Protestant Reformation only occured much later in 1500AD and this was a general disorganized rebelion that occured throughout all of Christiandom. Although it wasn't as publicized or as succesfull in Russia. The Doukhobors are protestants. i should know, i am one Doukhobors were only made known about 1750AD but by then they were well established.
The above chart of Hebrew and Christian time-keeping has been carried down through the ages in the Russian Orthodox Tradition. Thanks for the interest. dan b

dan b

We Doukhobors left the Orthodox Church declareing that each person individually had a direct link to the father as Jesus Christ has told us. It was only the Appostle Paul that set up a strict church and Bishop system to keep the Christian message in line. But we Doukhobors along with the Molokans, Zwiglites, Calvanists and Quakers all feel that we must seek and meet God in ourselves not through priests! dan b

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
We Doukhobors left the Orthodox Church declareing that each person individually had a direct link to the father as Jesus Christ has told us. It was only the Appostle Paul that set up a strict church and Bishop system to keep the Christian message in line. But we Doukhobors along with the Molokans, Zwiglites, Calvanists and Quakers all feel that we must seek and meet God in ourselves not through priests! dan b
Actually, Protestantism refers to those churches that can trace their beginnings to the separation from the Roman Catholic Church in the Protestant Reformation of 1517.

As the Doukhobors are a sect that split from the Russian Orthodox Church around the 17th century, they do not qualify as being in any way related to the Protestant Reformation.

Lucian

Theologian
We had some Doukhobors here a couple of centuries ago. Are from Canada or Russia dan_b, or somewhere else?

dan b

I'm from Canada for 3 generations. But I travel to the E.U. every year. I will I lived there. Where are you from?

dan b

Douchobors were exiled to Finland about 1700 and died lying freezing on the bare ground. The Orthodox hated us like the Catholics hated protestants. The details are in Peter Maloff's book published in Canada about 1920. It's in Russian and is kept basically unavailable by the Doukhobor politicians now in power. dan b