1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Heaven is For Real, yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by DennisTate, Dec 5, 2017.

?
  1. No.....

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Yes...

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. I am not sure but I will research this further.....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DennisTate

DennisTate Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    Hebraic Roots Universalist Christian Noahide
    I personally regard Mr. Colton Burpo as an exceptionally credible witness..........
    He is a young man of relatively few words.........
    but the power and accuracy of his testimony in my opinion.... .is setting the stage for
    the fulfilment of a prediction by the Prophet Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 31:34

"And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."

2. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Kissed by Fire

Ratings:
    +11,278
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    He's no more special or credible about it than any other random kid picked off the street.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. wizanda

wizanda Hairy doesn't mean scary;beard doesn't mean weird
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,207
    Religion:
    Øneness
    Heaven is real; this boys testimony might not be...

We can see by the way he emphasizes certain points for the audience, as he has been told these things to say...They're not original concepts, and explanations.

Watch someone like Dr Eben Alexander who also had a NDE; yet went from Atheist to a none religious teacher on God...

In his account, as do other real accounts, we hear that they can not summarize in words the majesty of being in the presence of God, and being within Heaven.

People who start giving you some religious sermons on the events with a normal religious ideology, are possibly fabricating it for the audience; as that is what the religious want to hear, nothing that goes over their head in their own theology.

You seem an avid student of NDE's, so hopefully you've noticed that when someone has really been there, it is beyond words, it is a realm of pure consciousness beyond form; so when people paint some simple picture, it should become more dubious, the more they try to make it fit with what we already know.

In my opinion. :innocent:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man.

Ratings:
    +3,836
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    Well as the saying goes, "it's as real as you want to make it".

• Like Like x 1
  5. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +514
    Proof random chaos is fundemental to life through the process of natural selection selecting carefully the correct selection and then out of chaos emerges order!!!!!
    Religion and science are completely compatible here is proof!!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Carlita

Carlita Blessings from Buddha Vajrasattva of purification

Ratings:
    +5,430
    Religion:
    Viet. Zen Buddhist
    Confimation bias ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. DennisTate

DennisTate Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    I can see why you would say that but I did read the book......
    I did watch the movie......
    I have viewed a number of online interviews of him and I really just like the way that this young man
    is indeed......" a man of few words".... but what he does say...........
    just seems to be done with a high level of courage and sincerity.

8. DennisTate

DennisTate Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    Good points.........
    yes....... I can see why his dad being a pastor might tend to make you skeptical.........
    I would love to meet Colton in person and ask him what he personally thinks of the NDE account of Black Elk..............
    I am 99% certain that Colton........
    will reply to that question with a level of courage and conviction that could get him disfellowshipped from quite a few Christian churches.

My all time record is two......
    in just over one month back in 1991......

The Worldwide Church of God and then
    the Philadelphia Church of God.......

They had a rather dogmatic Soul Sleep doctrine.......
    and one of the factors that can indicate somebody's sincerity is their willingness to pay the price...... which can include really angering long time friends from church!

Native American Black Elk's Near-Death Experiences

Native American Black Elk's Near-Death Experiences

• Like Like x 2
  9. DennisTate

DennisTate Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    Colton reports meeting King David.....
    the Danite Judge Samson.....
    John the Baptist and
    Mary the Mother of Messiah Yeshua - Jesus......
    and they were all together.............

...... so although many of my online Orthodox Jewish friends might tend to be offended by the idea of King David and Samson meeting with Colton...........
    I am certainly hoping that yes.........
    ancient Jewish Prophets, Judges and Kings are willing to meet with Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus and his family in the paradise that the thief went to after his death..........

Luke 23:43

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

10. DennisTate

DennisTate Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    For the record.......
    twenty or thirty years ago I was on the phone with an exceptionally well informed Buddhist friend of mine..... and I termed myself a Christian Buddhist..... because at that time I didn't know what else to call myself considering that I am a Christian......
    who just happens to also believe in reincarnation..........

Could Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus really have said this?

11. DennisTate

DennisTate Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with that........
    even though I only partially understand it?!!!!!!!

You wouldn't happen to have had a near death experience yourself have you?

One of the phenomena that seems to accompany an NDE.... is an astonishing surge in IQ and other mental, emotional, spiritual and yes..... even physical gifts.

12. viole

viole Metaphysical Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,387
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous, than the fact, which it endeavors to establish ... (D. Hume).

In this case I can think of at least two very mundane possibilities that would render that testimony false.

Therefore, not sufficient. By far.

Ciao

- viole

• Like Like x 2
  13. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +514
    Every day!!! I walk around culture it's dead, I walk out into the forest alive!!!! It appears the intellect is a parasitic creature that keeps the host breathing although clearly the host has no idea it's breathing. Occasionally I say breathe, a momentary awareness and then back to death. It's not a total death is a kind of mental death. I found it contagious and dangerous it took a long time to recover.

14. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,152
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    I'm sure the young lad believes his story to be real and in that sense, it is, if but for him and those who believe similarly. Whether this is accurate about reality itself is questionable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,152
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    Again, this is a purely subjective perception and similar to what is encountered during out-of-body experiences. That said, just because one is able to awaken on a given "level" does not automatically make them an Einstein or a gifted communicator. If you are a slack-jawed yokel prior to the event, after the event you will still be a slack-jawed yokel but perhaps with a more persistent grin.

• Like Like x 1
  16. james bond

james bond Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +351
    Religion:
    Christian
    I would be skeptical of a story like this, but there are things Colton Burpo allegedly knew about his family that he couldn't have otherwise. What he said matches another account of visiting heaven and meeting family by an adult woman. According to Burpo, Jesus looks like the painting done by this little girl at 8-years old.

[​IMG]

Of course, he could have been coached on what to say by his father or a family member. I would think it's hard for a little boy to lie and keep his story straight, so unless there are contradictions, I would tend to believe him. Christians do not know exactly what's in store for them in heaven, so they may be curious even though skeptical. Meeting the people in the Bible and listening to their stories would be cool. I have a list of people whom I admire and want to meet and talk with.

17. DennisTate

DennisTate Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    This is an excellent point indeed.........
    yes.... .Colton is personally convinced of the reality of what he personally saw and experienced.........
    the questions that remains to those of us who are philosophically and theologically inclined could be..... what was the source of that experience?

Many of my deeply religious friends who are still in the Worldwide Church of God.... The Philadelphia Church of God.... or any of the offshoots from the teachings of Mr. Herbert W. Armstrong or his son Mr. Garner Ted Armstrong..........
    might tend to think that what he saw could perhaps have been from the dark side of the force..........
    but I strongly disagree and feel that Colton met Messiah Yeshua - Jesus in his immortal glorious form keeping several of his promises:

John 16:25

These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father."

John 5:22

For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:"

The being of light of NDE fame, G-d or Satan?

18. George-ananda

George-ananda Advaita and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,961
    Religion:
    Advaita and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    I am not going to invest an hour in this video at this time. I have heard some about this though.

I believe that heaven is real but I question the partisan Christian spin this story has taken. It seems to be serving some group's cause.

That's my take, and none of the three voting options fits.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. DennisTate

DennisTate Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    Again.... wow!!!!!!

I would like to introduce you to my online friend, (who also phoned me one day).... Bruce F. MacDonald Ph. D.:

20. DennisTate

DennisTate Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    What do you think of the idea of many heavens.......
    designed for many different people groups.... and their different cultures?

Colton's NDE implies that some heavens can significantly OVERLAP?

Could Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus really have said this?