• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heaven and Hell

Unification

This is NOT a opinion, its a question, directed to people who belive in heaven and hell, christians, and/or people who has a large knowledge about the bible.

My question is, is hell in the bible? I mean, where does the concept of hell come from? The original bibles, or is it a idea that came out in the middle ages?
Please enlighten me.

-Xander
It's in scripture. States of conscious. The doctrine of eternal hell is false. A God that is love would never torment his creation eternally. Love never fails. Every tongue will confess and every human will eventually be saved. Every man born, we are all one in Christ. We all have the same Spirit and life which is in the blood. Even an evil man does genuinely good sometimes. Anything genuine is sowed to the Spirit of a man, which is eternal upon physical death. The beast (flesh) the false prophet ( our deceived carnal minds) etc. are what are burned up. The Spirit lives on. Hell is a state of conscious as well as heaven. We reap what we sow. . To the Spirit. If incarnation is accurate, then a pure evil man may be born as a dog his next life, or born into the state he left his Spirit, what he sowed to it. Until we find the truth and the life and break the cycle. Peace to all.

GreenKepi

I am not a Christian but I believe I have enough knowledge of the Bible to form and educated opinion on your question.

Hell is mentioned in the Bible the original copies.

Psalms 9:17
The wicked shall be turned into hell, [and] all the nations that forget God.
Deut.32:22
For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.
2 Samuel 22:6
The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me;
Psalms 16:10
For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

There are many more references to hell in the Bible.
Go here and do a word search..
blueletterbible.org

I think the common modern idea of hell was formed more by Dauntes Inferno than the Bible itself though.
Oddly enough most of the fear of Hell in the Bible occurs in the NT not the OT.
There is mention of Hell in the OT but it is not used as a fearful motivator the way it is in the NT.
The concepts of Satan as an individual evil who rules over Hell is an idea that seems to have originated in the writings of the first Christians.
It was expanded on in the middle ages by the Church in order to solidify their power.

This is merely my opinion.
We have no "original" copies...there are even no copies of the originals....

we-live-now

This is NOT a opinion, its a question, directed to people who belive in heaven and hell, christians, and/or people who has a large knowledge about the bible.

My question is, is hell in the bible? I mean, where does the concept of hell come from? The original bibles, or is it a idea that came out in the middle ages?
Please enlighten me.

-Xander

The word "hell" is not in the original languages and even in some translations, but is translated from 3 or 4 words that usually mean God's (Holy) fire.

The doctrine of "hell" as Christianity teaches as "hell is forever punishment and separation from God" is completely false. All one needs to do is understand the TRUE meaning of the word "Fire" as in God's holy "fire" or "lake of fire".

God's fire is a SPIRITUAL fire and NOT a natural (destructive) fire like we are used to. His fire cleanses and purifies all that it comes into contact with. He is actually a cleaner of natural things. He calls it "destruction" and "perishing" but that is only from our side of a view under law. On his side, it is cleansing, refining and purifying... making that thing like himself. Check out the actual Strong's concordance entry for "fire" as in "they will be tossed into the lake of fire". Rev 20:14-15 The Greek word translated as "fire" is the word "pur" where we get the English words "purify" and "purity" from. It can be more likened to the "trials of life".

Strong's Concordance #4442
pur: fire
Original Word: πῦρ, πυρός, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: pur
Phonetic Spelling: (poor)
Short Definition: fire, trials
Definition: fire; the heat of the sun, lightning; fig: strife, trials; the eternal fire.
HELPS Word-studies
4442 pýrfire. In Scripture, fire is often used figuratively – like with the "fire of God" which transforms all it touches into light and likeness with itself

God's Spirit, like a holy fire, enlightens and purifies so that believers (not true, it's for all people) can share more and more in His likeness. Indeed the fire of God brings the uninterrupted privilege of being transformed which happens by experiencing faith from Him. Our lives can become true offerings to Him as we obey this imparted faith from God by His power.

Strong's Greek: 4442. πῦρ (pur) -- fire

Here is the solemn truth I see in God's Word. All of our lives whether we "believe" or not are a "fire offering" to him. In this current version of creation, we are all part of "the woman" (with Jesus the groom). See the original Hebrew word translated as "the woman" in Genesis 3:2. It is a slight variation of the word translated as "fire offering" in Numbers 28:3. We ARE God's fire (and grain) offering that will end up full purification and spiritual birth.

For everyone will be salted with fire Mark 9:49
You are to offer them before the LORD, and the priests are to sprinkle salt on them and sacrifice them as a burnt offering to the LORD Ez 43:24

Watch what happens when he appears in his Holy (refining and purifying) fire:

"But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap Malachi 3:6

Man teaches hell because:

1) he his blind to what God's Word really says (he just teaches what he THINKS it says not what it really says).
2) Fear is a strong motivator. It makes people go to church for the lie of "fire insurance". It keeps them giving their money too.

The truth is there WILL be a stronger, tougher age of darkness, law and holy fire after this one called "gloom". But, it will be for those who believe and teach God sends people to hell and keep them under law (old covenant) trying to earn something they can't. This age will burn them up and cause them to repent and will have an end to it. All will repent and all will believe.

GreenKepi

Aren't the Dead Sea scrolls the closest copies we have?
True...however, they still are not the original writings. They were most likely written by the Essenes during the period from about 200 B.C. to 68 A.D. No one is sure. The Isaiah Scroll, found relatively intact, is 1000 years older than any previously known copy of Isaiah. So-called experts... “think” they were hidden away in caves around the outbreak of the First Jewish Revolt (A.D. 66-70).