• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heart of the matter

JayToka

I believe that at the core of all religions is the same message. Peace and Love to all. Which, to me, is a very simple message and one that I try and live my life by.

Do you think that this is true or are religions different in their values towards human life ?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Using the general definition of the word, there are literally thousands of religions on the planet, from thousands of different cultures.

"Peace and love to all" is hardly universal. It's actually only core to a few religions, and not present at all in others. In polytheist religions where the Gods are not all in agreement about what constitutes good and evil (that is, most if not all of them), some Gods might love peace and love for all, while other Gods regard such sentiments as weak, and other Gods as ignorant, and all of them are right.

I, myself, hate war and seek to avoid violence, but the religion I follow, Heathenry, is hardly a "peace and love" one. The Goddess I focus most on, whom I name in English Frowafree (basically Freyja and Frigg as one Goddess) oversees war as one of Her primary domains, and among the most well known Gods from this religion, only Her brother, Ing, doesn't deal with war at all. Sure there's other Gods who don't, such as Beow (aka John Barleycorn) or Sif, but very little is known about them.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I believe that at the core of all religions is the same message. Peace and Love to all. Which, to me, is a very simple message and one that I try and live my life by.

Do you think that this is true or are religions different in their values towards human life ?
I think this is true of all religions worthy of our consideration. Unfortunately, the miscellaneous stuff often gets put in the foreground.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

It's not really "religions" that place different values on human life. People do, too. In particular, I'm not very taken with the "all life is sacred" bull****.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Some religions are simply misguided to some degree or another. A few are all-out monstrous.

It is very important to accept that and the duty to gauge their worth without relutancy.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

I doubt very many religions have that at their core at all.
The big three certainly don't.

Riverwolf

Premium Member

One of the big three, Buddhism, most definitely does, at least implicitly. I can't speak for Islam, since know very little about it, but Christianity... does, actually, at least with the love part (not the "peace" part).

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Which big three? I think you mean Christianity, Islam, and any one among Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism. No true clue on which one.

Truth be told, I don't know that I heard that expression before.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It must be Hinduism.
It always baffles why Judaism is considered one of the big 3.
According to stats, Jews consist of 0.2% of the world population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations
Judaism is, despite itself, a lot more like Christianity and Islam than most other religions. And to a large extent popular perception does not allow religions to be too different from the Christian "template".

Deathbydefault

Which big three? I think you mean Christianity, Islam, and any one among Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism. No true clue on which one.

Truth be told, I don't know that I heard that expression before.

The big three is in reference to the three main structures of abrahamic religion.
Those being Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

I guess such a saying wouldn't be known here, it's used in more unsavory forums.
It's not in reference to followers per faith, btw.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
The big three is in reference to the three main structures of abrahamic religion.
Those being Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

I guess such a saying wouldn't be known here, it's used in more unsavory forums.
It's not in reference to followers per faith, btw.

I should hope not.

Thing is, as I understand it, Judaism is an ethnic religion, and therefore quite unlike either Christianity or Islam right from the get-go.

The reason I list Buddhism as the third "major" world religion alongside Christianity and Islam also has little to do with number of followers, but degree of influence and obvious presence throughout the world. Christianity had a MASSIVE influence in Europe, parts of Africa, and the Americas. Islam had the same effect in West Asia and North Africa, and Buddhism took that role in Central and East Asia. These three religions generally dominate the various overcultures of these three broad slices of the world, hence why they're the three "major" world religions as far as I'm concerned.

As world religions, they actually need something like "peace and love to all" to be at least somewhat central in order to be appealing to newcomers. It's actually the smaller religions that you've never heard of that're more likely to not have this idea of universal love centralized, simply because it doesn't need to be.

Deathbydefault

I should hope not.

Thing is, as I understand it, Judaism is an ethnic religion, and therefore quite unlike either Christianity or Islam right from the get-go.

The reason I list Buddhism as the third "major" world religion alongside Christianity and Islam also has little to do with number of followers, but degree of influence and obvious presence throughout the world. Christianity had a MASSIVE influence in Europe, parts of Africa, and the Americas. Islam had the same effect in West Asia and North Africa, and Buddhism took that role in Central and East Asia. These three religions generally dominate the various overcultures of these three broad slices of the world, hence why they're the three "major" world religions as far as I'm concerned.

I like your logic but I didn't create the phrase.
Go to 8ch and argue the definition with it's source.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I like your logic but I didn't create the phrase.
Go to 8ch and argue the definition with it's source.

...I don't even know what that is. But you presented it, so I challenged it with you as its bearer. Even if I went to this place, which I assume is some other forum, I wouldn't know where to find this supposed "source", and frankly it doesn't matter.

BTW, check my edit; I tried to tie my response back the OP's topic.

Deathbydefault

...I don't even know what that is. But you presented it, so I challenged it with you as its bearer. Even if I went to this place, which I assume is some other forum, I wouldn't know where to find this supposed "source", and frankly it doesn't matter.

BTW, check my edit; I tried to tie my response back the OP's topic.

I used it as slang to reference three religions that tie into the purpose of my original post.
I don't subscribe to the definition necessarily, I just used the phrase.

Deathbydefault

Okay. I appreciate the clarification.
I suppose I do show my age sometimes :D

As world religions, they actually need something like "peace and love to all" to be at least somewhat central in order to be appealing to newcomers. It's actually the smaller religions that you've never heard of that're more likely to not have this idea of universal love centralized, simply because it doesn't need to be.

They would need to preach something like that, yes.
In no way does that mean it is at the core of the religion.

The core of Christianity is Jesus, or at least I should think so.
Jesus said some nice stuff too about love and whatever, he also was a fan of slavery.
Now, to me, slavery doesn't come of as happy and love filled.
I can go quite in depth on that but I'll save you the reading expense.
Basically, my point is that plenty of religions have ulterior motives to their humanistic preaching.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think it is unfair to call Judaism an ethnic religion. Maybe at first. These days they just take conversion seriously.