• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hearing Voices?...

Sundance

Premium Member
Alright, everyone, here's the issue: I have a best friend. He was my friend since forever, and he has a psychological problem. He tells me that he hears voices and musical sounds, off and on, randomly but oh so frequently; he has been for as long as he could remember. Everywhere he goes, these voices and musical sounds in his head make him laugh, cry, get angry, feel euphoric, experience arousal....they just make life very interesting, but very confusing sometimes. He tells me that the voices are his main concern. They talk to him, but he sometimes doesn't walk to talk back (especially, in public), though in a trance-like state — which for him occurs very often — he often feels his mouth moving involuntarily. He fears that if he just ‘lets loose’, he'll be considered odd or even, mad. He tells me that the music that he constantly hears in his head are the result of the excessive amounts he listens to and it seems to be his only coping mechanism without which, he is at their mercy. My friend needs help, but I don't know what to do to help him. Can you relate to his experiences? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
He needs to see a professional. Anti-psychotics would help.
Alright, everyone, here's the issue: I have a best friend. He was my friend since forever, and he has a psychological problem. He tells me that he hears voices and musical sounds, off and on, randomly but oh so frequently; he has been for as long as he could remember. Everywhere he goes, these voices and musical sounds in his head make him laugh, cry, get angry, feel euphoric, experience arousal....they just make life very interesting, but very confusing sometimes. He tells me that the voices are his main concern. They talk to him, but he sometimes doesn't walk to talk back (especially, in public), though in a trance-like state — which for him occurs very often — he often feels his mouth moving involuntarily. He fears that if he just ‘lets loose’, he'll be considered odd or even, mad. He tells me that the music that he constantly hears in his head are the result of the excessive amounts he listens to and it seems to be his only coping mechanism without which, he is at their mercy. My friend needs help, but I don't know what to do to help him. Can you relate to his experiences? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
I should mention; I used to hear voices. I had visual hallucinations too. But, now I take some anti-psychotics and I'm the happy, cheerful mother****er you see today.

On second thought, maybe I'm not the best example of a mental health success story.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Has he figured out if maybe his psychic radio is stuck on? Lol, this stuff happens to me quite a bunch...

Largely it is connected to:

1) I am a musician... I frequently hear songs going through my mind. Some stick. I hear the "whole song" the words, the singing, the drums, every note of the guitar. I can recreate the whole song by humming or tapping. I too have to listen to them to get them to leave. I'd consider this normal.

2) Meditation work and trance work. Generally, they are side-effects. If your friend is playing around with spiritual woo and can't deal with these things he needs to stop. They will get worse before they get better. If he's a "natural medium" and thus trances out without his control he needs to find someone that can help him get it. Also, a few splashes of cold water helps. Anything that increases alertness helps -- caffeine and more exercise. The rest of the people will tell you this stuff doesn't happen... What do they know? :) If they are "naturals" they really have to do nothing to be open to being into a meditative state... They just "slip in"... It's disconcerting, but not harmful if one is aware.

3) Voices -- again can be meditation side-effects if he's "trancing out". Normal side-effect.

4) He's really screwed up. Medical doctor required IF none of the other situations make sense. lol Generally, people don't just hallucinate they are delusional. Your friend doesn't sound delusional just wonky and troubled by it.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Has he figured out if maybe his psychic radio is stuck on? Lol, this stuff happens to me quite a bunch...

Largely it is connected to:

1) I am a musician... I frequently hear songs going through my mind. Some stick. I hear the "whole song" the words, the singing, the drums, every note of the guitar. I can recreate the whole song by humming or tapping. I too have to listen to them to get them to leave. I'd consider this normal.

2) Meditation work and trance work. Generally, they are side-effects. If your friend is playing around with spiritual woo and can't deal with these things he needs to stop. They will get worse before they get better. If he's a "natural medium" and thus trances out without his control he needs to find someone that can help him get it. Also, a few splashes of cold water helps. Anything that increases alertness helps -- caffeine and more exercise. The rest of the people will tell you this stuff doesn't happen... What do they know? :) If they are "naturals" they really have to do nothing to be open to being into a meditative state... They just "slip in"... It's disconcerting, but not harmful if one is aware.

3) Voices -- again can be meditation side-effects if he's "trancing out". Normal side-effect.

4) He's really screwed up. Medical doctor required IF none of the other situations make sense. lol Generally, people don't just hallucinate they are delusional. Your friend doesn't sound delusional just wonky and troubled by it.

No. Medical doctor period. Someone hearing voices is going to rationalize them away.

He needs help, not an excuse.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you and your friend.
In addition to other issues, please also consider:
"....it may also sound like blowing, roaring, buzzing, hissing, humming, whistling, or sizzling. The noises you hear can be soft or loud. You may even think you are hearing air escaping, water running, the inside of a seashell, or musical notes...."
Ref:https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003043.htm

and in general:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hom...rome..69i57.8390j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Mindmaster

Premium Member

No. Medical doctor period. Someone hearing voices is going to rationalize them away.

He needs help, not an excuse.

Unless he is doing meditative practices.. Then he's causing them.. lol.. In which case, he needs to stop because it is upsetting him.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'd have to agree with seeing a doctor. While voices and such crop up in essentally everyone, those voices shouldn't cause or prompt you to do anything involuntary. If it lies where the voices are in charge, instead of the natural disposition of maintaining a sense of self control, it might indicate a more serious issue. Not just mental but could be physical. It wouldn't hurt to get checked for tumors in the brain or a developing psycosis. If anything, just a health checkup to make sure everything's ok.

Laika

Premium Member
basically, Seek help. I've had alot of mental problems but I admittedly can't relate to this. I'd say the fact that he's talked to you about it so is actually a good sign because it means it isn't something he feels the need to cover up. it does sound like this is something which is disrupting his life a bit. They are pretty mild by the sounds of it and it could be a whole lot worse, but still- it's best to discuss it with someone so its out in the open and people know what's going on. its a bit out of the ordinary- but nothing is ringing huge alarm bells based on what you've said.

Sundance

Premium Member
I should mention; I used to hear voices. I had visual hallucinations too. But, now I take some anti-psychotics and I'm the happy, cheerful mother****er you see today.

On second thought, maybe I'm not the best example of a mental health success story.

Nietzsche, from the sound of it, you're feeling fine...I hope.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Perhaps my friend may also have schizophrenia or another form of psychosis. How do you cope, psychoslice?
I cope a lot better these days, I am on good medication that works fine for me, sometimes I get over whelmed with voices and seeing shadow figures creeping around me, when I actually look start at then they disappear. I hear voices in the back ground, like a radio in the back ground, not really understanding them, that is until I am depressed and then they get louder right down to about three separate voices cussing me and telling me to do things to myself, but this only happens now about two to four times a years, and then I usually end up in the mental ward where they serve nice pudding lol.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

From what you tell, your friend most likely needs professional help and medication. What you can do as a friend is encourage him to see a doctor and to constantly, regularly take his meds if he is precribed some. Most neuroleptics have side effects, mostly by making patients feel tired and sort of “numb”. Thus, you may help him by standing by him and not dropping him in case of an actual diagnosis, of, let’s say, schizophrenia. (Side-effects may abate with time.) Most patients also gain weight from the meds, so it might be helpful to encourage your friend to do some physical exercice which you could do together.

IMHO, coping depends on how stable your social network is. Your friend may be encouraged to take up a hobby where he can socialize with others and where he doesn't feel exhausted. Good relations to parents or spouse are also helpful. In general, trusted persons who deal with your friend should be informed about "alarm signals" such as hearing voices, paranoia or hallucinations. With the best wishes,

Sirona

Sundance

Premium Member
From what you tell, your friend most likely needs professional help and medication. What you can do as a friend is encourage him to see a doctor and to constantly, regularly take his meds if he is precribed some. Most neuroleptics have side effects, mostly by making patients feel tired and sort of “numb”. Thus, you may help him by standing by him and not dropping him in case of an actual diagnosis, of, let’s say, schizophrenia. (Side-effects may abate with time.) Most patients also gain weight from the meds, so it might be helpful to encourage your friend to do some physical exercice which you could do together.

IMHO, coping depends on how stable your social network is. Your friend may be encouraged to take up a hobby where he can socialize with others and where he doesn't feel exhausted. Good relations to parents or spouse are also helpful. In general, trusted persons who deal with your friend should be informed about "alarm signals" such as hearing voices, paranoia or hallucinations. With the best wishes,

Sirona

Thank you, immensely, Sirona! I'll be sure to pass all of this along to him.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Thank you, immensely, Sirona! I'll be sure to pass all of this along to him.

Don’t want to repeat myself but in case your friend actually gets diagnosed with schizophrenia it is crucial to prevent or minimize the breakdown of “structures” and “routines”. Your friend needs “appointments”, something where he can show up regularly every day or every week. Work is fine, school is fine. In case both is not possible, he may look out for counselling centers for the mentally afflicted where they provide programs to help structure the day or part of the day. IMHO it may be a bit like kindergarten for adults but maybe he likes it there. I joined them for swimming and bowling activities only, and I found it quite okay. The worst case would be becoming a couch potato glueing to T. V. with too much time and nothing but your own thoughts going around, because this is what may drive people to hospitals.