• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hearing Gods Voice (Comparative religion)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I go to a forum specifically for pagans; and, a subject/post came up that made me think. The poster asked, "how does one hear god?"

Not hear as in a sensation, events happening when it otherwise wouldnt, dreams, and such. The replier said that the christians where he is from usually say things like:

"The Lord told me the other day that I shouldnt be going out jogging so late at night." Then that christian cuts on the news and finds someone murdered in the same area he or she usually jogs. Then they say "see. god told me not to go out. I knew I had a feeling (based on gods words not sensation) he would pull through'"​

I hear this type of talk too. My co-worker would talk about her family and about how god told her how she should take care of her family.

Granted, Christians have the Bible to reflect their thoughts on but this goes beyond that. This is even without the Bible for reference. They are having a full conversation with god.

Another example, my co worker was reading the Bible and she was puzzled about what a couple of verses said. So she asked god (literally) and then she got some type of feeling, I suppose, that god told her the right answer. She reread the scripture and found the answer. It wasnt her finding the answer but god through her. So she thanks god literally for providing the answer.

Story she told me.

My other friend says that god speaks to her almost whispers in her ear "like a little voice" she says.

:herb:

I am not saying they are delusional nor am I saying they are crazy. I "hear" the spirits, ancestors, and recently deceased talk to me too and I talk with them.

I do see a difference, though. I know I am not talking To them because they are spirits so the type of response I get back I would not expect it to be the same as if they were alive in their bodies. Thats why we give offerings because it is a different way of communicating since we cant communicate in the manner we did when our loved ones lived.

:herb:

My questions

1. Christians who hear gods voice...can you explain (if not, please let me know) how you hear gods voice or is it a metaphor as some see communion?

2. Pagans. Do you hear the gods in the manner I mentioned above? (You dont have to compare it to christianity and christians. Just in general. When you conversate with say Thor, does he talk back to you?)

3. Muslims and Jews and other religious of Abraham. Do you have similar ways of saying god talk to you as I described above or in your personal opinion and beliefs, is it mostly christians from your perspective that seem to articulate god speaking? Is it something unique to christianity or is this across all faiths of Abraham?

4. Hindu (and like religious). Do you have the same as above? Please dont compare it to Christianity. Just in general, do you hear your god/s voice and how do you express it?

5. Non believers, have you had experiences where you used to hear gods voice? If so, maybe you can provide a medium of language to explain it in laymans terms? If not, comments are cool but dont derail the thread.

6. Everyone else.
Comments are cool. Same question. If not, comments are cool but dont derail the thread.

Try not to compare it to christianity. Just using what I know most as an example for a general question of listening to god.

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
Claiming "God talked to us" as if we are the chosen messenger of God is a conceit for us Baha'is I believe...when we have so many directly revealed prayers and meditations from the Messengers of God that can be applied to our life and society....

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To me, God's voice is the voice of intuition. There have been times when I've had an inexplicable urge to do something that had surprising results. But also, there are many "voices" in my mind from my lower nature and distinguishing true intuition from desire prompting or random thoughts is tricky and I can easily make mistakes.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Claiming "God talked to us" as if we are the chosen messenger of God is a conceit for us Baha'is I believe...when we have so many directly revealed prayers and meditations from the Messengers of God that can be applied to our life and society....

Does god have a different way of talking to Baha'is personally or is all conversation within revealed text and tradition?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If someone hears a voice in there head what criteria is used to determine whether or not the voice is real or imagined?

Well, most Christians I know use the Bible but then many of those same christians dont use the bible for every time god speaks to them. Im sure they know the difference between gods voice and someone elses? or their own thoughts?

SpeaksForTheTrees

Lol last thing ya ever want to admit to hearing is Gods voice , unless you like padded cells .
Never heard any physical sounds myself .

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
I won't discount it. I haven't had any voices speak to me, but I have been visited by what I would assume were spirits of some kind.

Two invisible spheres of intense energy (about the size of baseballs) circled around me, moving in front of my face, going back and forth from ear to ear, and around my waist.

Why? Not sure.

roger1440

I do stuff
Well, most Christians I know use the Bible but then many of those same christians dont use the bible for every time god speaks to them. Im sure they know the difference between gods voice and someone elses? or their own thoughts?
If the voice is in agreement with a person’s preconceived ideas then the person believes it is from God. If the voice is not in agreement then the person does not believe it is from God. The voice will not go against a person’s conscience. Therefore they are only hearing an echo of their own beliefs. Long story short, there ain’t no voice.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Lol last thing ya ever want to admit to hearing is Gods voice , unless you like padded cells .
Never heard any physical sounds myself .
That would be the key.

Physical sounds vs the mental voices bouncing around in one's head.

I never heard God's voice physically either.

It's amazing how many people have trouble distinguishing the difference.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If the voice is in agreement with a person’s preconceived ideas then the person believes it is from God. If the voice is not in agreement then the person does not believe it is from God. The voice will not go against a person’s conscience. Therefore they are only hearing an echo of their own beliefs. Long story short, there ain’t no voice.

Thank you foe the long story short. Sounded like a tongue twister.

But many christians do hear a voice in one description or another. Just as one has "born again" experiences that come from no one but god. How would voices be different given both can be preceived ideas that both event or soune confirmes true?

SpeaksForTheTrees

That would be the key.

Physical sounds vs the mental voices bouncing around in one's head.

I never heard God's voice physically either.

It's amazing how many people have trouble distinguishing the difference.

If God appeared physically in front me or called my name physically , it would scare the hell out of me .
Gods voice to loud for a physical world , moses in life of Brian ...Wow !
Sorry Mel brooks history of world part 1

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
My belief system dictates that we have a Higher Self and that is our GodSelf. When our Higher Self communicates to us, it is in symbolism.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
2. Pagans. Do you hear the gods in the manner I mentioned above? (You dont have to compare it to christianity and christians. Just in general. When you conversate with say Thor, does he talk back to you?)

Talk? No. I don't hear Thór's or any other god/dess's voice, it's more like sensing it, but not words, it's a feeling.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If God appeared physically in front me or called my name physically , it would scare the hell out of me .
Gods voice to loud for a physical world , moses in life of Brian ...Wow !
Sorry Mel brooks history of world part 1

Well, as my friend says "every knee will bow when they hear the lord". I honestly dont know how to take that? An insult? (Christians?)

Sleeppy

If we go through the Scriptures, even up to the New Testament- the precedents are there. Are you able to discount it altogether?

Sleeppy

Give me a verse or two.

Let's go with the more obvious:

1 Samuel 3, 1 Kings 19:11-13, Matthew 3:17, John 12:28..

But, I would argue it could be seen earlier with Cain as well, after the disappointment in God's preference with Abel.

Satyamavejayanti

"Carlita, post: 4653283, member: 55631"]

Namaste,

4. Hindu (and like religious). Do you have the same as above? Please dont compare it to Christianity. Just in general, do you hear your god/s voice and how do you express it?

Well there could be some Hindus who will say they have "talked" to Krishna or a Avatara, that is their own experience and we cannot verify it. With Hindus when we greet anyone we say Namaste, which means to "salute/welcome the divine within", the Inner voice is not considered that of any Avatar, as our nature is that of Sat-Chit-Annand the voice within is our own true self. As many Hindus consider Ishvara as part of our unrealized self, hearing a voice externally is not part of our tradition. Because our traditions did not not start by someone hearing Gods Voice, we don't tend to have this culture of talking to any God.

But people (Hindus) copy other traditions and cultures, so someone might come here and contradict me.

Dhanyavad