• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health Insurance, most have it & didn't know it

james dixon

Premium Member

The Medicare Program is the second-largest social insurance program in the U.S., with 58.4 million beneficiaries and total expenditures of $710 billion in 2017. The Boards of Trustees for Medicare (also Boards) report annually to the Congress on the financial operations and actuarial status of the program. Beginning in 2002, there is one combined report discussing both the Hospital Insurance program (Medicare Part A) and the Supplementary Medical Insurance program (Medicare Part B and Prescription Drug Coverage). The Office of the Actuary in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) prepares the report under the direction of the Boards.

You usually don't pay a monthly premium for Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) coverage if you or your spouse paid Medicare taxes for a certain amount of time while working. This is sometimes called "premium-free Part A."

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

The Medicare Program is the second-largest social insurance program in the U.S., with 58.4 million beneficiaries and total expenditures of $710 billion in 2017. The Boards of Trustees for Medicare (also Boards) report annually to the Congress on the financial operations and actuarial status of the program. Beginning in 2002, there is one combined report discussing both the Hospital Insurance program (Medicare Part A) and the Supplementary Medical Insurance program (Medicare Part B and Prescription Drug Coverage). The Office of the Actuary in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) prepares the report under the direction of the Boards.

You usually don't pay a monthly premium for Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) coverage if you or your spouse paid Medicare taxes for a certain amount of time while working. This is sometimes called "premium-free Part A."

I'm amazed how many people don't realize all the taxpayer funded assistance there is to pay the medical bills of needy citizens like the elderly with Medicare and like the impoverished commoner folks with Medicaid. ...This diminishes the need for a single payer Medicare-for-all program such as what Bernie Sanders has proposed where the government pays all the medical bills of everybody; of course, this would be a total disaster where there'd be health care shortages, widespread insurance fraud, and an non-affordable burden to taxpayers whose taxes would have to more than double to pay the price of Medicare-for-all as proposed by Bernie Sanders.

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
medicare is for retired and disabled people, most don't have it, and if they do, chances are they know about it!!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The right is trying to get rid of Medicare and Medicaid on the installment plan. I've read those proposals.

And I'm sure that there are some that don't realize they have those benefits available but when I became eligible, I was bombarded by ads for various Medicare options. Businesses made very sure I knew about some of my choices.

I'm not a fan of single-payer but I am a fan of allowing anyone who wants to sign up for Medicare and pay the true cost of providing benefits. This would give people another choice creating more competition.

Jumi

Interesting that the US medical system is more expensive and with weaker results than most of Europe. Lobbyists like to make things more expensive though, keep up the profits.

james dixon

Premium Member
Medicaid in the United States is a joint federal and state program that helps with medical costs for some people with limited income and resources. Medicaid also offers benefits not normally covered by Medicare, like nursing home care and personal care services. The Health Insurance Association of America describes Medicaid as a "government insurance program for persons of all ages whose income and resources are insufficient to pay for health care".[1] Medicaid is the largest source of funding for medical and health-related services for people with low income in the United States, providing free health insurance to 74 million low-income and disabled people (23% of Americans) as of 2017.[2][3][4] It is a means-tested program that is jointly funded by the state and federal governments and managed by the states,[5] with each state currently having broad leeway to determine who is eligible for its implementation of the program. States are not required to participate in the program, although all have since 1982. Medicaid recipients must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents, and may include low-income adults, their children, and people with certain disabilities. Poverty alone does not necessarily qualify someone for Medicaid.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act significantly expanded both eligibility for and federal funding of Medicaid. Under the law as written, all U.S. citizens and legal residents with income up to 133% of the poverty line, including adults without dependent children, would qualify for coverage in any state that participated in the Medicaid program. However, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius that states do not have to agree to this expansion in order to continue to receive previously established levels of Medicaid funding, and many states have chosen to continue with pre-ACA funding levels and eligibility standards.[6]

Jun 22, 2018 - Medicare is funded primarily from general revenues (41 percent), payroll taxes (37 percent), and beneficiary premiums (14 percent) (Figure 7). Part A is financed primarily through a 2.9 percent tax on earnings paid by employers and employees (1.45 percent each) (accounting for 87 percent of Part A revenue).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicaid

james dixon

Premium Member
The only problem with universal health insurance is that it would put current private health insurance provider out of business. We need to find a solution that combines the two. One idea is to pay these private insurers to manage the paperwork and one-on-one contacts to the public. This might keep the private insurers in business.

To do this I believe we need to combine Medicare, Medicaid and social security into one service provider.