• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health and Beauty - Don't Believe Hype

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I recently came across two podcasts that focus on health and beauty stuffs. One podcast is born from an actual company that tests and reviews products as well as measure them against their claims. They also create their own products.

It never occurred to me to research this stuff before I dished out my dollars to give something a go. Everyone knows that these ads for mascara or face creams can be exaggerated but it never occured to me they could be outright lies even though I expect it when it comes to pseudo food science and that kind of thing.

They also pointed out that there is no difference between adult acne and teen acne which I never thought about it. I did not know that acne is an inflammatory disease which can be influenced through hormones be them stress or otherwise.

Am I the only one that was completely clueless or have I been completely naive because I am not a beauty buff? I would assume that a lot of people believe the claims that they make.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
There is big dollars made through peoples vanity, regarding beauty products, its either you have it or not, why paint over something that is already beautiful ?.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
There is big dollars made through peoples vanity, regarding beauty products, its either you have it or not, why paint over something that is already beautiful ?.

I do not think it is about vanity but about personal preference and on a darker scale insecurities.

I use makeup to complement my features which makes me feel good. Skincare is also required for a lot of people to keep their skin clean and clear.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They prey upon people's insecurities, their market they market low self-esteem, and they sell vanity. Being in the place that I'm going for hair removal, just being in that building made me fill ill the way the video on loop was telling the audience to be depressed and anxious over their hair, and strongly implying your social life will suffer, but, pay them to do what they do, and then you can start to feel better and have a much better social life.
One such example is daily showering. It is unnecessary, it wastes water, and it's actually not good for the skin, but some people shower two or three times a day, and people will think you're dirty if you shower every other day, which for most people is sufficient. The hand sanitizer craze, that is a new monster that those who created it and market it should be beaten with a biology text book.
And that Lysol handless soap dispenser? If you're washing your hands, with soap, why at all does it matter if your hands touch a germy and dirty pump dispenser?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Showering two or three times a day? That is excessive. I shower once a day because it is necessary for my body hygeine (I am so not going into details).

I think they market for insecurities and high beauty standards but I do not know many people who buy into it. Most people are like me in that they just like to dress it up once in a while and do not paste it on their face everyday and spend hundreds on anti aging products.

Faybull

pfft, I may not shower at all tonight. I may just let the alcohol do the job for me.

But no, not naive, just misinformed. Vanity is what it is. Pretense. And fleeting.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
pfft, I may not shower at all tonight. I may just let the alcohol do the job for me.

But no, not naive, just misinformed. Vanity is what it is. Pretense. And fleeting.

Partly vanity and partley wanting to be normal for some I think. They claim all these things. I cannot tell you how many skin products I went through to try and not have a pumply chin. I am currently just using water and a brush until I figure something out.

Faybull

Partly vanity and partley wanting to be normal for some I think. They claim all these things. I cannot tell you how many skin products I went through to try and not have a pumply chin. I am currently just using water and a brush until I figure something out.
i dont know what you mean by saying pumply chin?

Faybull

ah, so pimply...i am not sure what you mean still, you have permanent pimples on your chin? Or you get pimples on your chin often? i get them around my nose at times, i have oily skin like an olive

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think they market for insecurities and high beauty standards but I do not know many people who buy into it. Most people are like me in that they just like to dress it up once in a while and do not paste it on their face everyday and spend hundreds on anti aging products.
If people weren't buying into it, corporations wouldn't spend the money on it. Most people think the advertising isn't really doing much, but the influence is profound.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
If people weren't buying into it, corporations wouldn't spend the money on it. Most people think the advertising isn't really doing much, but the influence is profound.

Well I know for me and my family, we do not notice the ads. When we want to buy a certain shade or a certain item we go to the makeup/skin care section...see what is there and make the best pick.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well I know for me and my family, we do not notice the ads. When we want to buy a certain shade or a certain item we go to the makeup/skin care section...see what is there and make the best pick.
It never occurred to me to research this stuff before I dished out my dollars to give something a go. Everyone knows that these ads for mascara or face creams can be exaggerated but it never occured to me they could be outright lies even though I expect it when it comes to pseudo food science and that kind of thing.
They also pointed out that there is no difference between adult acne and teen acne which I never thought about it.
Much of the damage has already been done. Even if you aren't directly exposed, the myths, distortions, and fallacies of mass-advertising have permeated our culture.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Much of the damage has already been done. Even if you aren't directly exposed, the myths, distortions, and fallacies of mass-advertising have permeated our culture.

Of course. I will be raising my kids to look to themselves for validation, not others. This is a good foundation for not believing the lies of the beauty industry.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I recently came across two podcasts that focus on health and beauty stuffs. One podcast is born from an actual company that tests and reviews products as well as measure them against their claims. They also create their own products.

They also pointed out that there is no difference between adult acne and teen acne which I never thought about it. I did not know that acne is an inflammatory disease which can be influenced through hormones be them stress or otherwise.

Am I the only one that was completely clueless or have I been completely naive because I am not a beauty buff? I would assume that a lot of people believe the claims that they make.

I'm glad that you've mentioned podcasts. Social media yields easy access to tutorials & product reviews. One wouldn't have to invest a lot of time in getting a feel for how worthwhile a product might be, contingent upon their needs & preferences.

By no means would I consider anyone naive for not knowing about the different types of acne or the ins and outs of health & beauty claims. There are a lot of misleading ads out there.

Quality often boils down to personal perception & expectation.

Skin care & cosmetics are not necessarily "one size fits all". Skin type and preexisting skin conditions can have impact how a product works from one person to the next.

There's quality to be found across the spectrum of cosmetics. It really boils down to how much money a person is willing to spend and if there's aspects of a product that would be of greater significance. Vegan & cruelty free? Problem with certain pigments? Allergic to dyes & perfumes?

I don't pay a lot of attention to ads anymore. But, I do research more expensive products before I sink in the cash.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I'm glad that you've mentioned podcasts. Social media yields easy access to tutorials & product reviews. One wouldn't have to invest a lot of time in getting a feel for how worthwhile a product might be, contingent upon their needs & preferences.

By no means would I consider anyone naive for not knowing about the different types of acne or the ins and outs of health & beauty claims. There are a lot of misleading ads out there.

Quality often boils down to personal perception & expectation.

Skin care & cosmetics are not necessarily "one size fits all". Skin type and preexisting skin conditions can have impact how a product works from one person to the next.

There's quality to be found across the spectrum of cosmetics. It really boils down to how much money a person is willing to spend and if there's aspects of a product that would be of greater significance. Vegan & cruelty free? Problem with certain pigments? Allergic to dyes & perfumes?

I don't pay a lot of attention to ads anymore. But, I do research more expensive products before I sink in the cash.

Since Ive started losing weight and feeling girly I have been buying more products. Now I research the crud out of products. I look at reviews from people as well. Beautypedia from paulas choice and a review app ive got are really helpful to identify if it is worth the $ or not.