• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heal me, O LORD

Redemptionsong

IMO, there is something to be learned from every experience. However, the process is not always pleasant. It may not be good or bad as much as necessary.

As an atheist, with no belief in a post-mortem existence, do you not do your best to extend the only life you have?

Redemptionsong

Probably, if you cannot trust your fellow man and instead put your trust in mythology then you can guarantee that someone else trusts in a different myth.
That is a recipe for war and there have been plenty of those in the name of religion throughout history.

Mythology? Do you not trust the power of love?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As an atheist, with no belief in a post-mortem existence, do you not do your best to extend the only life you have?

My health yes, my life, not really.

I feel there are too many unknowable. I read a report about someone driving along the freeway and something was tossed off of an overpass, went through the windshield and killed the driver.

Stuff happens, there's no guarantee I'll see tomorrow. I don't do stupid things to increase my chances of dying but I feel a majority of it is beyond my control. Also, I'm not afraid of death.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Mythology? Do you not trust the power of love?

What has love to do with mythology? I love my husband, i love my children, that is powerful love. I love some friends, the others I merely like.
I do not love a character from a thousands of years old fairy story.

Redemptionsong

My health yes, my life, not really.

I feel there are too many unknowable. I read a report about someone driving along the freeway and something was tossed off of an overpass, went through the windshield and killed the driver.

Stuff happens, there's no guarantee I'll see tomorrow. I don't do stupid things to increase my chances of dying but I feel a majority of it is beyond my control. Also, I'm not afraid of death.

The scriptures say that the greatest thing a man can do is lay down his life for his friends. Would you do that for your friends?

Redemptionsong

What has love to do with mythology? I love my husband, i love my children, that is powerful love. I love some friends, the others I merely like.
I do not love a character from a thousands of years old fairy story.

According to the epistle of John, God is love. If you truly know the meaning of love, you already know something about God!

ChristineM

Premium Member
According to the epistle of John, God is love. If you truly know the meaning of love, you already know something about God!

Love us an emotion, not a myth

Funny how so many people said they knew what their god was, and yet today no agreed definition of god exists.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Jeremiah 17:14. 'Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise.'

Do you have faith that the LORD will heal you?

What kind of healing, if any, can you expect from the LORD?
Personally, I've been struggling the most in life with being financially independent. I recently read in psalms that the Lord will get me through it. Meanwhile, I try to be brave, truthful, unselfish, etc...

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The truth is, I don't find God's Word confusing. I find that Jesus ascended to heaven and was given dominion, and a kingdom [Daniel 7:13,14]. This means that Jesus has Lordship at the present time.

I agree here. Jesus has received his kingship and is presently ruling over those who accept him as God’s appointed King.

I have come to believe he is my God and that I belong within his invisible kingdom, the spiritual temple of God [1 Corinthians 3:16]. IMO, this kingdom is entered through faith, and through the indwelling of the promised Holy Spirit.

Jesus is your God? Then which God did Jesus himself worship?
How does God have a God? Was this only whilst he was on earth?
If so, how can Jesus still worship his Father as his God even in heaven? The Revelation was given by Jesus after his return to heaven.

He that overcometh, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go out thence no more: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God, and mine own new name.” (Revelation 3:12)

But you didn’t answer my previous questions.......

If the words “alive” and “dead” apply spiritually, then why not “healing”?

Who is Jesus addressing in Matthew 7:21-23? And why is he utterly rejecting those who have even ‘performed powerful works in his name’? Whose power was being supplied in those instances? Certainly not God’s. The deceiver is an expert in his craft. The deceived are not aware of the deception....so why has God allowed them to be deceived? 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12 answers. We have to “love the truth”.....but not everyone does if it contradicts what they want to believe.

Can I also ask you...what exactly is God’s kingdom? And how does it “come” so that God’s will is “done on earth as it is in heaven”?

How does one become a ruler in that Kingdom and over whom does it rule and with what objective?

In accord with your username, what are the mechanics behind the ‘redemption’ of mankind?
How does Jesus’ death “redeem” us?

These are very important questions that, when I was part of the ‘church’ system, were never really discussed. I had no idea what I was really praying for in the Lord’s Prayer.....do you?

I don't mean this to sound like a boast. It's not. It's simply a statement of where trust has led me.

Please don’t get me wrong....I do not doubt your faith or your trust in what you believe.....your sincerity is obvious. What I see is a vague foundation for your trust. Can you make it concrete for me?

The position that you appear to hold is that the Holy Spirit is not in the body of Christ at this time. I say that the Holy Spirit seals and defines the body of Christ.

The Holy Spirit is doing what it has always done....accomplishing God’s will and bringing about the fulfilment of God’s original purpose for this earth and its inhabitants......”the body of Christ” is the foundation of his kingdom.....those chosen to be part of that body will be “kings and priests” and will rule with Christ for 1,000 years. (Revelation 20:6) All of these will be taken to heaven....so who are they.....who are their subjects.....and for whom do they act as priests?

We all need to answer those questions.

Additionally, where does Revelation 21:2-4 place those subjects?

“And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of the throne saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he shall dwell with them, and they shall be his peoples, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God: and he shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more; neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain, any more: the first things are passed away. (ASV)

Over to you......

Redemptionsong

Personally, I've been struggling the most in life with being financially independent. I recently read in psalms that the Lord will get me through it. Meanwhile, I try to be brave, truthful, unselfish, etc...
The way the early Church dealt with poverty was by sharing their wealth to ensure that the poor did not starve. I sense that the present crisis in society will again test our faith, love and decency.

Redemptionsong

I agree here. Jesus has received his kingship and is presently ruling over those who accept him as God’s appointed King.

Jesus is your God? Then which God did Jesus himself worship?
How does God have a God? Was this only whilst he was on earth?
If so, how can Jesus still worship his Father as his God even in heaven? The Revelation was given by Jesus after his return to heaven.

He that overcometh, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go out thence no more: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God, and mine own new name.” (Revelation 3:12)

But you didn’t answer my previous questions.......

If the words “alive” and “dead” apply spiritually, then why not “healing”?

Who is Jesus addressing in Matthew 7:21-23? And why is he utterly rejecting those who have even ‘performed powerful works in his name’? Whose power was being supplied in those instances? Certainly not God’s. The deceiver is an expert in his craft. The deceived are not aware of the deception....so why has God allowed them to be deceived? 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12 answers. We have to “love the truth”.....but not everyone does if it contradicts what they want to believe.

Can I also ask you...what exactly is God’s kingdom? And how does it “come” so that God’s will is “done on earth as it is in heaven”?

How does one become a ruler in that Kingdom and over whom does it rule and with what objective?

In accord with your username, what are the mechanics behind the ‘redemption’ of mankind?
How does Jesus’ death “redeem” us?

These are very important questions that, when I was part of the ‘church’ system, were never really discussed. I had no idea what I was really praying for in the Lord’s Prayer.....do you?

Please don’t get me wrong....I do not doubt your faith or your trust in what you believe.....your sincerity is obvious. What I see is a vague foundation for your trust. Can you make it concrete for me?

The Holy Spirit is doing what it has always done....accomplishing God’s will and bringing about the fulfilment of God’s original purpose for this earth and its inhabitants......”the body of Christ” is the foundation of his kingdom.....those chosen to be part of that body will be “kings and priests” and will rule with Christ for 1,000 years. (Revelation 20:6) All of these will be taken to heaven....so who are they.....who are their subjects.....and for whom do they act as priests?

We all need to answer those questions.

Additionally, where does Revelation 21:2-4 place those subjects?

“And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of the throne saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he shall dwell with them, and they shall be his peoples, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God: and he shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more; neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain, any more: the first things are passed away. (ASV)

Over to you......

I counted 15 question marks in your post! I think it's only reasonable that I tackle two questions at a time. Which two questions would you like me to respond to first?!

The question I have for you is this. What does Jesus require of all his followers?

Last edited:

Redemptionsong

Interesting, so medical science is wrong eh? Ok, I'll tell them

No definition i know explains love as anything other than an emotion

If love is no more than an emotion then there will be periods in time when you do not love your husband or your children. You will feel angry, frustrated, disappointed, sad etc and not loving!

I have not said that medical science is wrong. Medical science is man's valid effort to eradicate sickness and heal injury. But I would prefer the doctors and nurses treating me to be men and women of faith.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If love is no more than an emotion then there will be periods in time when you do not love your husband or your children. You will feel angry, frustrated, disappointed, sad etc and not loving!

I have not said that medical science is wrong. Medical science is man's valid effort to eradicate sickness and heal injury. But I would prefer the doctors and nurses treating me to be men and women of faith.

You doing psychology on me now?

Yes i can be angry as my loved ones,i still love them

Medical science also includes neuroscience.

I prefer medical staff to be confident in their knowledge of medicine with no faith involved.

Redemptionsong

You doing psychology on me now?

Yes i can be angry as my loved ones,i still love them

Medical science also includes neuroscience.

I prefer medical staff to be confident in their knowledge of medicine with no faith involved.

But what you describe as the 'myth' of the Bible is clearly shaping the life that you lead right now. The fact that you're married to one husband and haven't sacrificed your children on a fire tells me that your life has already been shaped by the faith of those who came before you, and who surround you.

I believe that the whole world has been radically changed over the last two thousand years, and that without biblical influences those changes would have left us a far worse place. This is not to deny that religion brings conflict and war, but to suggest that good also comes from faith.

ChristineM

Premium Member
But what you describe as the 'myth' of the Bible is clearly shaping the life that you lead right now. The fact that you're married to one husband and haven't sacrificed your children on a fire tells me that your life has already been shaped by the faith of those who came before you, and who surround you.

I believe that the whole world has been radically changed over the last two thousand years, and that without biblical influences those changes would have left us a far worse place. This is not to deny that religion brings conflict and war, but to suggest that good also comes from faith.

Shresh, are you real? I am a human being, just because i follow the evidence and not faith in god magic does not make me an evil monster.

Sure the world has been changed by enforced religion and wars for god and gullibility.

Redemptionsong

Shresh, are you real? I am a human being, just because i follow the evidence and not faith in god magic does not make me an evil monster.

Sure the world has been changed by enforced religion and wars for god and gullibility.

One of the lessons of history should be that it doesn't take long for a popular ideology, even an evil one, to reshape a person's thinking and morality. Look at what happened in Nazi Germany, or in Stalin's Russia. It doesn't take long to bend minds and create prejudice, even with pseudoscience. Unless you're sure of the source of goodness, you may not have a rock to stand on.

ChristineM

Premium Member
One of the lessons of history should be that it doesn't take long for a popular ideology, even an evil one, to reshape a person's thinking and morality. Look at what happened in Nazi Germany, or in Stalin's Russia. It doesn't take long to bend minds and create prejudice, even with pseudoscience. Unless you're sure of the source of goodness, you may not have a rock to stand on.

Yes Hitler, good christian

Stalin raised christian and said to be the only christian in the kremlin.

Christianity and other religions can create a lot of prejudices in the gullible.

My rock is as strong as rock and as big (at least) as the universe.

You are welcome to your faith though