• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headed to Chicagoland

Cooky

Veteran Member
Well, I was just thinking about my upcoming February trip to Chicago, and I'm a little nervous, because the social atmosphere in that region is so intensely negative from my memory of growing up there, that I'm worried I might degress back to a negative state of mind from visiting...

...I'm not sure what it is about that area, but I feel like most people there are just jerks, and I don't understand if that's my personal perspective or if it's reality.

Should I be concerned..?

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
An old story:

There was once a small town. Whenever a stranger came to town, asking what people were like in the town, one of the locals asked what people were like where the stranger came from. And the answer was that people in the town were rather like those where the stranger came from.

The point? People tend to be pretty much the same everywhere. But you will tend to see those that look like what you expect.

An example: people in Paris have the reputation of being aloof and rude. When I have visited, however, I have found the people to be friendly and helpful. Why? Partly because I am polite and friendly myself. I don't expect people to go out of their way to help me if I am rude and nasty.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'm really hoping the Museum of Science and Industry is open at the end of February, but I'm not counting on it.

PUTVBFVPBBF75GK7V2GG267WB4.jpg

Cooky

Veteran Member
An old story:

There was once a small town. Whenever a stranger came to town, asking what people were like in the town, one of the locals asked what people were like where the stranger came from. And the answer was that people in the town were rather like those where the stranger came from.

The point? People tend to be pretty much the same everywhere. But you will tend to see those that look like what you expect.

An example: people in Paris have the reputation of being aloof and rude. When I have visited, however, I have found the people to be friendly and helpful. Why? Partly because I am polite and friendly myself. I don't expect people to go out of their way to help me if I am rude and nasty.

That's smart. I contacted my old H.S. friend John, and told him I want to come visit, and my goal is basically to just be as nice and accepting of everyone I meet as possible. I also watched a video recently, that's kind of just basic knowledge, but something helpful to keep in mind too:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
An old story:

I've experiece much the same in Quebec, whereas before I went I was told that the French there were rude and won't help you, and yet I found just the opposite to be true, But a friend of mine who was with us didn't fare as well as he tends to be very blunt and loud-- sort of a "my way or the highway" kinda guy.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm really hoping the Museum of Science and Industry is open at the end of February, but I'm not counting on it.

If you like museums, also try to catch the Field Museum and the Art Institute. Again, they may not be open because of the pandemic, but they are well worth the visit if you can manage it.

PureX

Veteran Member
I lived in Chicago for many years. It's an amazing city, but as with any dense population center you have to be mindful that you're always surrounded by humans. And humans can be unpredictable and problematic. So you need to mind your own behavior, accordingly.

Between it being February, (very cold) and the pandemic, I would think population density would not be much of an issue. Frustration among those humans you do come in contact with, however, might be quite high. So try not to do things that might agitate others.

I hope the museums are open when you're there. They really are spectacular places to see. Sadly, some of the more wonderful places to visit for music and dining will likely not be open. And that's a shame. Chicago is one of the best cities in the world for live music and ethnic restaurants.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I lived in Chicago for many years. It's an amazing city, but as with any dense population center you have to be mindful that you're always surrounded by humans. And humans can be unpredictable and problematic. So you need to mind your own behavior, accordingly.

Between it being February, (very cold) and the pandemic, I would think population density would not be much of an issue. Frustration among those humans you do come in contact with, however, might be quite high. So try not to do things that might agitate others.

I hope the museums are open when you're there. They really are spectacular places to see. Sadly, some of the more wonderful places to visit for music and dining will likely not be open. And that's a shame. Chicago is one of the best cities in the world for live music and ethnic restaurants.

I remember the Jazz and Blues festivals - what a great time! :) I used to see the Cubs play at Wrigley field too, which was fun.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, in February, be prepared for COLD. Very cold. Below zero (Fahrenheit) cold.

And they don't call Chicago the windy city for no reason.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Yes, in February, be prepared for COLD. Very cold. Below zero (Fahrenheit) cold.

And they don't call Chicago the windy city for no reason.

Yeah, we wanted it to be cold... Living here in Southern California, we wanted to show our kids what cold really is. :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Should I be concerned..?
I turned the place down when looking for a new place to live because it's a very violent city.
You'll likely be fine, vacationing there and short trips are ok (I'm curious if the Tsavo Man Eaters are still on display at the Field Museum (I got to see them once)). But I wouldn't want to live there.

That's actually not true. For example, in rural Indiana people are conservative religious asshats who have no qualms or issues throwing their prejudices and hatred out their, and they'll tell you everything about you and your life they don't like.
Here, in California, even the "Conservative" parts are way more laid back and tolerant. It's even let me see in hindsight so much of the prejudice in Indiana I didn't realize was prejudice because it's just normal stuff there but not here.
Oh, and here no one gives a crap or damn if you don't have religion or god. Indiana you can still hear the word "atheist" used as a derogatory slur.

They probably think 50F is cold.
I still chuckle seeing people here bundling up at 60 and 70 F, saying it's cold here but they don't have they "hurried jet pack" walk people in cold climates develop for the winter months.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I still chuckle seeing people here bundling up at 60 and 70 F, saying it's cold here but they don't have they "hurried jet pack" walk people in cold climates develop for the winter months.
That's how city folk walk when it's cold. To them, nature
is what they pass thru from their building to a cab.

metis

If you like museums, also try to catch the Field Museum and the Art Institute. Again, they may not be open because of the pandemic, but they are well worth the visit if you can manage it.
I loved the field museum there, as well as the Shedd Aquarium.

metis

Here, "winter walk" and "summer walk" are pretty much the same.
I do both, thus getting out for a minimum of one hour per day six days a week no matter how cold it is here in Michigan. It's a Scandinavian tradition that I adopted decades ago, and one's body adjusts to both cold and hot after a while.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do both, thus getting out for a minimum of one hour per day six days a week no matter how cold it is here in Michigan. It's a Scandinavian tradition that I adopted decades ago, and one's body adjusts to both cold and hot after a while.
I used to have a good tolerance of the cold.
But I do believe my days of camping/sleeping (I was LARPing) in 10 degrees F are thoroughly over. And not just because I'm not exposed to that cold anymore, but also because I start to shiver some when its in the 60s now.:flushed: