• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Head of Grub Hub sends employees who voted for Trump an odd message

whirlingmerc

Appropriate? Workplace harassment? The makings of a hostile non inclusive workspace?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/10/boss-tells-pro-trump-employees-to-resign.html

The CEO of Grubhub, an online food delivery service, sent a company wide email Wednesday suggesting employees who agree with President-elect Donald Trump’s behaviors and his campaign rhetoric should resign.

“If you do not agree with this statement then please reply to this email with your resignation because you have no place here,” wrote Matt Maloney, Co-Founder of Grubhub. “We do not tolerate hateful attitudes on our team."
unquote

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If the report is accurate, it seems pretty unfair of Maloney to assume that anyone and everyone who voted for Trump has a hateful attitude. Not all do.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
As much as I hate the Trump rhetoric, is it not illegal to fire, or make/pressure to resign, someone because of their personal ideologies or opinions, political or otherwise?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As much as I hate the Trump rhetoric, is it not illegal to fire, or make/pressure to resign, someone because of their personal ideologies or opinions, political or otherwise?

Good question! I think in some instances it is -- such as if they were a government employee. But Maloney is a private businessman, and he might just have the right to do it.

Does anyone know the law on this?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I bet they are giving themselves a pat on the back for doing such an 'honourable deed'

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Good question! I think in some instances it is -- such as if they were a government employee. But Maloney is a private businessman, and he might just have the right to do it.

I don't know about other states, I live in Indiana.
We are a right to work state. You can fire an employee for any reason at all.
Any reason.

If the person fired can lawyer up enough to prove that the reason wasn't legal they might get rehired. If not, well, it's a free market system. And the employer's rights become especially important if they have "sincere religious beliefs".
I doubt that the Trump supporters would have a leg to stand on in my state. They could be gotten rid of as quickly as a trans, if the management wanted to do it.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Appropriate? Workplace harassment? The makings of a hostile non inclusive workspace?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/10/boss-tells-pro-trump-employees-to-resign.html

The CEO of Grubhub, an online food delivery service, sent a company wide email Wednesday suggesting employees who agree with President-elect Donald Trump’s behaviors and his campaign rhetoric should resign.

“If you do not agree with this statement then please reply to this email with your resignation because you have no place here,” wrote Matt Maloney, Co-Founder of Grubhub. “We do not tolerate hateful attitudes on our team."
unquote
Do you think it wrong of the owner to fire an employee for a reason that has nothing to do with job performance?
Tom

Daemon Sophic

This is why unions were invented. To defend the lives and livelihoods of the workers and their families from the mere whims of the owners.

However, as has been pointed out; Maloney can't enforce this in any way beyond Trump supporting workers, who are hateful and/or supportive of hateful rhetoric, coming forward voluntarily to be canned.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

unquote
If true, I smell a lawsuit cooking...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You're thinking of "at will" employment.
You can fire'm without giving a reason if you want, but you can't give just any reason.
That's why I didn't use the word "give" in my post.
You can fire anyone for any reason, including supporting a political candidate. You just can't be honest about a tiny handful of reasons. Which do not include queer stuff, except in a few counties. That's what RFRA was intended to address. The lack of freedom to discriminate by religious people.
Pence made that really clear. You are a few miles up the road, so NPR may not have covered it there. But you just voted for a federal government who has promised to give religious people "more freedom" to do what God tells them to do.
Tom

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Is the state where the company resides an at will state?

Note -- the words "at will" above is a link

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's why I didn't use the word "give" in my post.
You can fire anyone for any reason, including supporting a political candidate. You just can't be honest about a tiny handful of reasons. Which do not include queer stuff, except in a few counties. That's what RFRA was intended to address. The lack of freedom to discriminate by religious people.
Pence made that really clear. You are a few miles up the road, so NPR may not have covered it there. But you just voted for a federal government who has promised to give religious people "more freedom" to do what God tells them to do.
Tom
To say you can fire someone for any reason, so long as it's kept secret, still won't fly.
It's like saying that murder is legal if you don't get caught.
No way, Jose.
If a court establishes your secret but illegal reason, you'll pay thru the nose.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
To say you can fire someone for any reason, so long as it's kept secret, still won't fly.
It's like saying that murder is legal if you don't get caught.
No way, Jose.
If a court establishes your secret but illegal reason, you'll pay thru the nose.
When one is fired in Indiana, the employer is not required to give a reason for the firing.
It is on the fired employee to prove the firing was illegal.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When one is fired in Indiana, the employer is not required to give a reason for the firing.
It is on the fired employee to prove the firing was illegal.
That's more accurate.
You get a gold star!
th

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You're kidding yourself.
If I fired someone because they voted for the wrong candidate, but said it's because <insert any dumb reason> , they would have to hire enough lawyers to prove it was for an illegal reason. And that's just to get the job back.
Maybe things are different in the magical land of Revoltistan. It used to be a labor state, although that may have just changed yuuugely. Y'all wanted Trump and you got him.
Tom

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You're kidding yourself.
If I fired someone because they voted for the wrong candidate, but said it's because <insert any dumb reason> , they would have to hire enough lawyers to prove it was for an illegal reason. And that's just to get the job back.
Maybe things are different in the magical land of Revoltistan. It used to be a labor state, although that may have just changed yuuugely. Y'all wanted Trump and you got him.
Tom
Why would you even give a fake reason to a fired employee when you are not required to give a reason to the fired employee?

OASN:
Why did you reply out of context?