1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured He is Risen - The Evidence

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by nPeace, May 20, 2021.

1. nPeace

nPeace Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,829
    Religion:
    Follower of Christ
    Oh good. Done. Easy.
    No. Actually, that's like saying prove that you went to the bathroom exactly one million times during your lifetime.
    In other words, provide proof that every single account in the Bible can be verified by us.
    We call those strawman arguments.

2. nPeace

nPeace Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,829
    Religion:
    Follower of Christ
    Maybe you didn't read the post? No resurrection occured then.

3. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +27,010
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Why not? You could say the same about Islam which looks like it is going to eventually pass Christianity. I don't see anything all that special.

And Hunter S. Thompson was a fan of the KJV? Are you serious?

4. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +27,010
    Religion:
    Atheist
    No, that is not a strawman argument.

5. RestlessSoul

RestlessSoul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,647
    Religion:
    Agnostic Lapsed Catholic

Hunter S Thompson turned me onto the KJV, over 30 years ago. Can’t find my copy of Generation of Swine, but here you go...

7D6BDE92-3C86-407E-A83A-E48F248586AF.jpeg

6. firedragon

firedragon Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,868
    Religion:
    Islam
    No. Its called "prove the book is valid source of history".

Going to the bathroom a million times is irrelevant.

7. sayak83

sayak83 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,560
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    This post is supposed to be convincing?? This reads more like an exercise to convince the ingroup of their righteousness than anything else. I wonder why such an exercise at self justification is needed?
    If God does not care about those who do not believe in the resurrection, we do not care about it either. The idea of a secret resurrection in a completely different body so that only those select who really believed could sense it, and that too only for a brief few days before ascension to heavens is supposed to be convincing? If you wish to believe this personally on faith and personal experience, fine. But don't say there is any sort of convincing public evidence here , as that will be patently false.

• Like Like x 2
  8. sayak83

Ratings:
    +9,560
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    Colonial conquests?

9. RestlessSoul

Ratings:
    +1,647
    Religion:
    Agnostic Lapsed Catholic

In part, certainly.

But that doesn’t explain it’s enduring capacity to inspire and infuriate in equal measure

10. sayak83

Ratings:
    +9,560
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    I do not see it as particularly special. Islam will soon have more adherents than Christianity. Newer religions are also there that are growing quickly. The explosive growth of Christianity outside Europe happened due to the expansion of European powers in the new world, Africa, Australia and Asia. In this way the growth is EXACTLY similar to the growth of European languages like English, Spanish Portuguese throughout the world. People follow the culture, language and religion of the dominant powers at a given point in history. Nothing strange or unexpected about that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +32,993
    Religion:
    None
    Do you know the meaning of independent?

The biblical gospels confirming themselves most definitely isn't it.

Please provide links to some of these independent sources you claim, they were not in the OP and skirted around in passing in your reply here.

Yes the crucifixion of whi you see as worthy of your faith and i see as a terrorist seems to have occurred. As to "he is risen" not so much

12. pearl

pearl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Religion:
    Catholic
    The story of the woman caught in adultery is a later insertion here, missing from all early Greek manuscripts. A Western text-type insertion, attested mainly in Old Latin translations, it is found in different places in different manuscripts: here, or after Jn 7:36 or at the end of this gospel, or after Lk 21:38, or at the end of that gospel. There are many non-Johannine features in the language, and there are also many doubtful readings within the passage. The style and motifs are similar to those of Luke, and it fits better with the general situation at the end of Lk 21: but it was probably inserted here because of the allusion to Jer 17:13 (cf. note on Jn 8:6) and the statement, “I do not judge anyone,” in Jn 8:15. The Catholic Church accepts this passage as canonical scripture.

13. RestlessSoul

Ratings:
    +1,647
    Religion:
    Agnostic Lapsed Catholic

Do you believe in re-incarnation? If so, I’ll have a bet with you that, 1000 years from now, people will still read the Bible. And the Bhagavad Gita. And the Quran.

14. sayak83

Ratings:
    +9,560
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    I do not claim there is convincing public evidence that reincarnation happens.
    How about 5000 years from now? 1000 years is not a lot of time for a complete overhaul of the main players of human civilization.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RestlessSoul

Ratings:
    +1,647
    Religion:
    Agnostic Lapsed Catholic

Even 5000 years is but the blinking of an eye. Let’s make it 10000

Though it is by no means certain that humanity will still exist even 100 years from now. And if the crows build the next civilisation - crows are very smart - they will probably create their own sacred texts.

16. sayak83

Ratings:
    +9,560
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    I don't have a clue on what crows will do. If cats build the civilization, they will probably worship themselves though... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,288
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    The passage describes the saints getting up out of their tombs, going into the city and appearing before people.

Are you seriously suggesting that a hypothetical earthquake that opened some tombs matches this description?

18. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Rival's Creepy Uncle
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +69,811
    Religion:
    Atheist
    It's a darn shame to invest so much work in using a fairy
    tale & believers in the fairy tale to prove the same fairy tale.
    It is indeed reasonable to dismiss such an argument.

19. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,288
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    This speaks to a point you made in the OP: that Jesus's resurrection could have been missed by many because it was hard to recognize the resurrected Jesus as Jesus.

Even if that were true, we would still expect people to notice when an army of dead people emerge from their tombs, walk into the city, and appear before "many people."

Sure. So show me where people did wave it off as nonsense.

Show me the passage in Josephus or the Talmud or whatever that says something like "the false prophet Jesus staged a fake zombie invasion of Jerusalem. It frightened many, but was condemned as trickery"... or "many dead saints walked into the city. The followers of Jesus claimed that he had also been resurrected, but Jesus was not seen among the dead that walked through Jerusalem."

... anything like that.

Do you at least agree that if "many" dead people rise from the grave, walk into the city and are seen by "many" people, this is the sort of event that should get noticed by chroniclers?

• Like Like x 1
  20. ElishaElijah

ElishaElijah Return

Ratings:
    +275
    Religion:
    Believer
    The Court Case is coming we are only in the deposition stage. I’m one of the witnesses.

• Funny Funny x 1