• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He burned himself for a cause, the least I can do is post here

Axe Elf

Prophet
Fine. Be rude and callous.

I was actually being funny. Why are you singling me out of this cacophony of posters who are all essentially calling the guy a stupid, possibly insane, idiot--and calling ME rude and callous for suggesting that people don't really like lawyers anyway?

I give him a Darwin Award nomination because frankly it's kind of a stupid thing to say and to do.

There are probably some rather severe mental health problems that we are unaware of. I don't see someone making such a futile gesture without some other underlying issues.

Well it's not a smart thing to do regardless of disposition

He could've done far more for what he believed in by continuing to live and engage in volunteerism and activism than through a theatrical death. He had a delusion that his death would somehow wake the world up, but as with everything else, his death by fire will be forgotten by the general public very quickly.

You don't see it too often because committing suicide is kind of a ****ty way to put your point across. I can't imagine Martin Luther King Jr killing himself would have done much for U.S. civil rights.

I can never understand the practice even with Buddhist immolation. I know it's a drastic method to attract attention to an issue, but it doesn't really serve any practical value other than having to bury or finish cremating a corpse.

Hardly a brilliant form of protest.

I kind of see it as an irrational disjointed message.

"I didn't kill myself, the issue killed me".

And this guy was obviously having a little fun too, when he said...
Some of the areas homeless could at least get one hot meal out of it.

So calling me rude and callous for telling a joke in this thread is kind of like giving me a speeding ticket at the Daytona 500.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I was actually being funny. Why are you singling me out of this cacophony of posters who are all essentially calling the guy a stupid, possibly insane, idiot--and calling ME rude and callous for suggesting that people don't really like lawyers anyway?

So calling me rude and callous for telling a joke in this thread is kind of like giving me a speeding ticket at the Daytona 500.
They're not making jokes about it but debating on how effective it is as a form of protest or whether he was mentally ill. The Darwin Award thing is in poor taste, but I think the Darwin Award thing is stupid to begin with. I have Stanyon on ignore.

Axe Elf

Prophet
They're not making jokes about it but debating on how effective it is as a form of protest or whether he was mentally ill. The Darwin Award thing is in poor taste, but I think the Darwin Award thing is stupid to begin with. I have Stanyon on ignore.

Okay, but fair warning--if that's the kind of thing that gets your panties in a wad, you might want to pre-emptively ignore me as well.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Except that questioning his psychological state and the choice to end his own life isn't the same as making tasteless jokes about it.

Axe Elf

Prophet
It may end up that way. I have very little patience.

This place does that to you. I'm pretty sure I have less now than when I joined a month ago. It's one thing to know abstractly, by definition, that half of the people on this planet are of below-average intelligence, and it's another thing to have to correct their thinking errors over and over again on a daily basis--to absolutely no avail.

Now I find myself shaking the dust off of sandals that aren't even very dusty.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Makes me wonder what was going on in his head. Doesn't make much sense to kill yourself for an ecological cause by turning yourself into a flaming combusted pile of smoldering pollution.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Makes me wonder what was going on in his head. Doesn't make much sense to kill yourself for an ecological cause by turning yourself into a flaming combusted pile of smoldering pollution.
I thought that too. "Yep, immolation, that's farking brilliant."

Stanyon

WWMRD?
That depends on whether you want to be taken seriously here or dismissed as a childish 'edgelord', but for you that ship has sailed, so carry on! :)
Aww... That's cute coming from a self admitted troll but it still doesn't answer the question.
maybe I should clarify the question:
Why should anyone care about someone they do not know that kills themselves for stupid reasons?

Deidre

Aww... That's cute coming from a self admitted troll but it still doesn't answer the question.
Why should anyone care about someone they do not know that kills themselves for stupid reasons?
You don't have to care about him, not even knowing him, but his story is interesting and can teach us something.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Your personal feelings are your own. You're not obligated to be emotionally invested in anything. As for making jokes or trolling, take into consideration how it might be perceived by others if impressions are important to you. Otherwise shrug your shoulders and say what you will.

And yes, I know I'm a bad example.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
You don't have to care about him, not even knowing him, but his story is interesting and can teach us something.

You may be right, some good takeaway's that seem just common sense might be:
- don't think your death is going to change the world
- don't set yourself on fire