• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He burned himself for a cause, the least I can do is post here

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You don't see it too often because committing suicide is kind of a ****ty way to put your point across. I can't imagine Martin Luther King Jr killing himself would have done much for U.S. civil rights.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You don't see it too often because committing suicide is kind of a ****ty way to get your point across. I can't imagine Martin Luther King Jr killing himself would have done much for U.S. civil rights.

And usually aimed at more immediate injustices. I don't think this one will be taken too seriously even though he is correct in many ways.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
He says he did it for his cause, but I'm certain there were more underlying things going on emotionally/mentality that to lead to such an extreme course of action.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
He says he did it for his cause, but I'm certain there were more underlying things going on emotionally/mentality that to lead to such an extreme course of action.
It would have to be. You would think a lawyer would have a little bit more capability by representing gay and lesbian people in the courtroom.

I give him a Darwin Award nomination because frankly it's kind of a stupid thing to say and to do.

The man clearly had other issues that hit home and I suspect they are more personal in nature.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It would have to be. You would think a lawyer would have a little bit more capability by representing gay and lesbian people in the courtroom.

I give him a Darwin Award nomination because frankly it's kind of a stupid thing to say and to do.

The man clearly had other issues that hit home and I suspect they are more personal in nature.
I agree that there was probably other reasons that led to his death than just a passionate suport to a cause, but I don't want to characterize suicidal behavior due to mental illness (if that's what it was) as being a matter of stupidity.

Twilight Hue

I agree that there was probably other reasons that led to his death than just a passionate suport to a cause, but I don't want to characterize suicidal behavior due to mental illness (if that's what it was) as being a matter of stupidity.
Well it's not a smart thing to do regardless of disposition

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

He could've done far more for what he believed in by continuing to live and engage in volunteerism and activism than through a theatrical death. He had a delusion that his death would somehow wake the world up, but as with everything else, his death by fire will be forgotten by the general public very quickly.

Twilight Hue

He could've done far more for what he believed in by continuing to live and engage in volunteerism and activism than through a theatrical death. He had a delusion that his death would somehow wake the world up, but as with everything else, his death by fire will be forgotten by the general public very quickly.
No Doubt. I kind of see it as an irrational disjointed message.

"I didn't kill myself, the issue killed me".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There are probably some rather severe mental health problems that we are unaware of. I don't see someone making such a futile gesture without some other underlying issues.

Twilight Hue

There are probably some rather severe mental health problems that we are unaware of. I don't see someone making such a futile gesture without some other underlying issues.
I suppose we should thank our lucky stars he didn't decide to take other people out with him.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You don't see it too often because committing suicide is kind of a ****ty way to put your point across. I can't imagine Martin Luther King Jr killing himself would have done much for U.S. civil rights.
And what an unimaginably painful way to go.