• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawk Falcon Deities?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I know of Ra and Horus having Falcon heads. Isis has Falcon wings. I thought maybe Hathor had links to the Hawk/Falcon? I guess @Rival would know of any others having hawk/falcon links?
a3b890033b7f1e3c9b52305d36b83c17--egyptian-mythology-egyptian-art.jpg
isis-goddess-life-and-magic-in-egyptian-vector-32033247.jpg
S-l400 (2).jpg
Hathor.jpg

I guess Freyja the Norse Goddess had falcon wings.

download (5).jpeg

Does anyone here have any devotion to a Falcon Deity , or have you in the past, or do you have knowledge off the top of you head of one?

I associated the Hawk as being the Spirit animal of Denise Naslund, the Capitol Hill Queen Kami Spirit who lead me into Shinto, and enshrining and praying to and for the dead.

That was prior to knowing she and Genghis Khan (are the only people I can think of off the top of my head ) had a corpseless casket buried in their honor, due to the loss of their remains.

Genghis Khan used to train Hawks and there's a famous story of him killing one of those Hawks as the hawk was trying to save his life from water he did not know was poisoned.

I was making my first shrine outdoors to Denise Naslund and George Hawkins (Hawkins means multiple things, but one is "Hawk training") and I saw two Hawks, one in a tree, and one flying over my head while I was hauling rocks to the shrine.

So, Hawks are something I have come to love, even before knowing their significance in the Egyptian religion, as well as they are a common sight here in minnesota.

So any information you have to share about Hawk deities that you know of would be appreciated. Thank you. :)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Not a Deity. But the Norse thought there was an eagle in the far North, whose beating wings blew the winds. Oh and it sat atop the world tree.

d2gWV4jMWGNbwUUgWdQMEQcKu4Nt8SqbIw3kMc9la4E.jpg

He's at the top of this image.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So any information you have to share about Hawk deities that you know of would be appreciated. Thank you. :)
We have Garuda as the mount of Lord Vishnu and as a son of Kashyapa and brother to many others.

Progeny of Sage Kashyapa (He married 13 daughters of the first human according to one tradition to proliferate in Hinduism, Daksha): Adityas (suns) Rudras Vasus Daityas Marutas Danavas Krodhavasas Nāgas (Cobras including Sheshanaga) Manasa Iravati Gandharvas Vamana Vayu Indra Varun Agni Takshaka (Serpents) Apsaras.

Garuda_by_Hyougushi_in_Delhi.jpg

Spiderman

Veteran Member
We have Garuda as the mount of Lord Vishnu and as a son of Kashyapa and brother to many others.

Progeny of Sage Kashyapa (He married 13 daughters of the first human according to one tradition to proliferate in Hinduism, Daksha): Adityas (suns) Rudras Vasus Daityas Marutas Danavas Krodhavasas Nāgas (Cobras including Sheshanaga) Manasa Iravati Gandharvas Vamana Vayu Indra Varun Agni Takshaka (Serpents) Apsaras.

Garuda_by_Hyougushi_in_Delhi.jpg
Do their followers/devotees sometimes get naked and drink urine for Religious purposes, that you know of?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Seker

Montu

Qebehsenuef
?
So, just out of curiosity, why does the greatest Deity of Ancient Egypt have the head of a Hawk/Falcon, and not an Eagle? Aren't Eagles supposed to be better or something? I guess not. I definitely don't think so, but I saw a full grown Female bald eagle twice a few months ago, and they are so massive when their wings are out and they fly over your head, it's delightfully frightening!

I'm just surprised at how more than one Ancient Egyptian Deity has body parts of a Hawk/Falcon, including the greatest of them all, and I cannot think of an eagle Deity in ancient Egypt.

I would not be surprised to know it (they) exists, but would rank lower than the great Falcon Gods!

I was just wondering if you knew what the reasoning was behind it.

It could be multiple factors. Ra never chose to have a Falcon head in the first place. Falcons/Hawks are more common or they make better pets.

Could be, no one had any choice in the matter and Ancient Theologians didn't get to decide.:shrug:

But I often wondered why I associated a Hawk with Denise Naslund, when Eagle represents America, our official bird, glorified in so much artwork and propaganda.

But later, upon learning what great hunting companions Hawks make, Hawkins surname means "Hawk taming, falconry" , Isis having hawk wings with Freyja (Denise had vikings ancestry. I didn't know Freyja had hawk wings either when I identified Denise with Hawk), and above all, random guy giving me book on Ancient Egyptian Religion and learning Ra and Horus have Hawk heads, I'm so very glad I picked Hawk instead of Eagle.

Especially because a Hawk pooped on my knee cap while I was riding my bike last spring. :joycat::innocent::smilingimp:

That and the two Hawks when I was making my shrine to her and Hawkins, make me so glad I got the locution to identify her as Hawk/Falcon though!

In view of Ra, Horu, Freyja, and Isis, it just tickles me pink :p and very strange coincidence and meaningful! Hawks are so cool now!:cool:

I still think you need to buy a pet Hawk named Horu! ;)

rtha-31.jpg

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
?
So, just out of curiosity, why does the greatest Deity of Ancient Egypt have the head of a Hawk/Falcon, and not an Eagle? Aren't Eagles supposed to be better or something? I guess not. I definitely don't think so, but I saw a full grown Female bald eagle twice a few months ago, and they are so massive when their wings are out and they fly over your head, it's delightfully frightening!

I'm just surprised at how more than one Ancient Egyptian Deity has body parts of a Hawk/Falcon, including the greatest of them all, and I cannot think of an eagle Deity in ancient Egypt.

I would not be surprised to know it (they) exists, but would rank lower than the great Falcon Gods!

I was just wondering if you knew what the reasoning was behind it.

It could be multiple factors. Ra never chose to have a Falcon head in the first place. Falcons/Hawks are more common or they make better pets.

Could be, no one had any choice in the matter and Ancient Theologians didn't get to decide.:shrug:

But I often wondered why I associated a Hawk with Denise Naslund, when Eagle represents America, our official bird, glorified in so much artwork and propaganda.

But later, upon learning what great hunting companions Hawks make, Hawkins surname means "Hawk taming, falconry" , Isis having hawk wings with Freyja (Denise had vikings ancestry. I didn't know Freyja had hawk wings either when I identified Denise with Hawk), and above all, random guy giving me book on Ancient Egyptian Religion and learning Ra and Horus have Hawk heads, I'm so very glad I picked Hawk instead of Eagle.

Especially because a Hawk pooped on my knee cap while I was riding my bike last spring. :joycat::innocent::smilingimp:

That and the two Hawks when I was making my shrine to her and Hawkins, make me so glad I got the locution to identify her as Hawk/Falcon though!

In view of Ra, Hour, Freyja, and Isis, it just tickles me pink :p and very strange coincidence and meaningful! Hawks are so cool now!:cool:

I still think you need to buy a pet Hawk named Horu! ;)

View attachment 59724

It's possible eagles aren't common in North Africa. The falcon is the fastest animal when it comes to its downward speed when catching prey etc.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's possible eagles aren't common in North Africa. The falcon is the fastest animal when it comes to its downward speed when catching prey etc.
Just a very mild coincidence. When i typed on my phone and submitted that post on Hawks to you, it was before knowing you posted on my Goddess thread, with Isis spreading her falcon wings, and pic of mother Goddess holding the Hawk in hands. Me likey! I think it's cool and need to print it out when I return to my apartment! :cool:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Just a very mild coincidence. When i typed on my phone and submitted that post on Hawks to you, it was before knowing you posted on my Goddess thread, with Isis spreading her falcon wings, and pic of mother Goddess holding the Hawk in hands. Me likey! I think it's cool and need to print it out when I return to my apartment! :cool:
Both images are of Aset (Isis) :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Possibly, but that tends more to go to Mut (whose very name means 'mother'), Hathor and, very early on, Bat (who is basically Hathor).
Rival,
Just an odd coincidence you might find interesting. @JustGeorge shared an enormous amount of vital information in the last 24 hours with me.

One piece of so much else, is I mentioned to her , shortly after my discussion with you about Hawk (Falcon) Deities, and you posting Isis with Hawk sign on Goddess thread... told George that I used to run twelve miles straight in Iowa , through corn fields.

She responded that she was from Iowa! Then I remembered the bird on the Iowa flag is a Hawk. Then it dawned on me "OMG! Iowa is called the Hawk-eye state".

The Eye of Ra, the Hawk (Falcon) Eye
istockphoto-1135570249-170667a.jpg

eye-horus-black-gold-260nw-108679406.jpg

Is many Female companion Divinities who fight his battles for him, daughters of Ra, as you are well aware.

I called Denise Naslund, who I mentioned to you earlier, "eye of Ra" as well as "Eye Dea (Dea is french for Goddess)",after learning about Ra.

In jail I called her "Queen of France", because I saw her wearing patriotic french flags in imagination! That was before knowing she died National France day (July 14), or that her first and middle name are French as well.

Then it dawned on me, the Hawk-eye state flag is French:
Flag-of-IowaStateFlag.jpg

So, it is confirmed confirmation I didn't assign the Hawk to her, but more importantly, this Ra Hawk-Eye Theology, and Religion of Ancient Egypt , it's serious business, real stuff! Too cool! :cool: