• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Having Spirit

Lightkeeper

This question came to mind from another forum. Is breaking the rules or laws the only way to show you have spirit? Can we follow the rules and still have spirit?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Lightkeeper said:
This question came to mind from another forum. Is breaking the rules or laws the only way to show you have spirit? Can we follow the rules and still have spirit?

I'm not sure I understand you. What do you mean by having spirit?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jensa said:
I think one aspect of "having spirit" is not allowing laws, rules, social conventions, etc to prevent you from being true to yourself, from following your boon (as Joseph Campbell puts it). I don't think that necessarily means that you have to break the laws, rules, etc. But it certainly means in practice that you are often required to work around them, bend them, and perhaps sometimes break them. Lightkeeper's question is an interesting one.

Lightkeeper

Jensa said:
As opposed to not being a risk taker. Having spirit to live life to the fullest and to be who you are no matter what.

Ceridwen018

You don't have to be an outlaw to have or show spirit. I agree with Sunstone. You have to stand up for what you believe in and live for yourself. Be a leader, not a follower--that kind of stuff.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"To thine own self be true" is often difficult given a number of things, not the least of which are the many laws, regulations, social conventions, etc. that are made on a "one size fits all" basis. But genuine happiness is nearly impossible unless one is being true to oneself. In practice, that does mean that at times we have to break or bend the rules. The question is how wisely we do so, for it's not good to foolishly break or bend the rules.

Lightkeeper

Sunstone said:
"To thine own self be true" is often difficult given a number of things, not the least of which are the many laws, regulations, social conventions, etc. that are made on a "one size fits all" basis. But genuine happiness is nearly impossible unless one is being true to oneself. In practice, that does mean that at times we have to break or bend the rules. The question is how wisely we do so, for it's not good to foolishly break or bend the rules.
Thank you for clarifying that. I might add that putting your life and someone else's life at risk for something frivilous is not being true to yourself. Which brings up another question is selfishness being true to yourself or is part of being true to yourself and being spirited also looking out for our loved ones?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Lightkeeper said:
Thank you for clarifying that. I might add that putting your life and someone else's life at risk for something frivilous is not being true to yourself. Which brings up another question is selfishness being true to yourself or is part of being true to yourself and being spirited also looking out for our loved ones?
I've known many people who it could be said of them that their selflessness was an aspect of their being true to themselves. For instance: A naturally kind and generous person would be denying his self -- he would not be true to himself -- if he tried to root out his selfless nature in order to blend in with others who were more ruthlessly self-centered than he.

When we love, we are true to ourselves. At least, we are if it is true love. And part of being true to ourselves when we love is looking out for our loved ones to the extent that they need being looked out for.

This is a fascinating topic with many nuances, isn't it?

I think we can be risk takers without breaking the rules. It takes a bit of spirit, after all, to refuse drugs when there's peer pressure.