• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Having no gender vs. having more than one

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Question: What is the difference between identifying with no gender and identifying with multiple genders?

I mean, how does that work out, regarding outward expression?

What is the difference, in practical terms?

Socially, and culturally, what is the difference between these to categories of people?

I'd be interested to hear some ideas

And wouldn't having (say) two genders mean that the two cancel each other out, thus leaving the subject genderless??? Or does it not work like that?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Question: What is the difference between identifying with no gender and identifying with multiple genders?

Socially, and culturally, what is the difference between these to categories of people?

And wouldn't having (say) two genders mean that the two cancel each other out, thus leaving the subject genderless??? Or does it not work like that?
Genderless: traditional gender stereotypes hold no weight in outward expression (Persona and Anima/Animus have no gender identification)
Binary: the individual identifies with one gender and outwardly expresses that gender's stereotypes and represses the opposite gender's stereotype (Stable Persona and Stable Anima/Animus)
Nonbinary: individual picks and mixes gender stereotypes for outward expression (Can be stable or fluid)
Gender fluid: the individual will change the outward gender stereotype expressions in either an exclusively binary fashion, an exclusively non-binary fashion, both, or neither. (Fluid Persona and Fluid Anima/Animus)

*Persona: outward (extraverted) social expression presentation mask
*Anima/Animus: content held back/repressed from the outward Persona becomes the presentation mask towards the inward (introverted) introspective presentation mask

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Good question. Gender seems to be about attracting the opposite sex. Men do stuff to attract women, women do stuff to attract men. :shrug:

crossfire

Premium Member

It might make things easier to understand if you think of gender as a socio-psychological mask, rather than as a biological sex. (For example, in ancient Greek drama, actors wore masks to present the character they were playing. Almost all of the actors were biologically male, so they would don a feminine mask (gender) for a feminine character, even though they were biologically male.)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Same sex attraction is a thing. Also, non-binary gender identities also exist. Same with attraction to more ambiguous gender identities.

Ok, but what defines the male gender role? What boxes do you check off that identifies that role?

I understand the sexual attraction part, but is there more to being a gender than sexual attraction?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, but what defines the male gender role? What boxes do you check off that identifies that role?

I understand the sexual attraction part, but is there more to being a gender than sexual attraction?
Gender roles is different from gender identity. A role is something society expects from a gender identity, an identity is how a person expresses. People who are genderqueer, agendered, gender fluid or nonbinary gendered tend to subvert or ignore gender roles. Either taking bits and pieces of both or rejecting them outright. Similarly, there's people who are attracted to expressions that clash with traditional gendered expression. From people who like 'tom boys' or body building feminine or feminine men to people who like androgynous looks.
Basically:
1*b2Qe9SjYZO9bhmft5ozgcA.jpeg

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Gender roles is different from gender identity. A role is something society expects from a gender identity, an identity is how a person expresses. People who are genderqueer, agendered, gender fluid or nonbinary gendered tend to subvert or ignore gender roles. Either taking bits and pieces of both or rejecting them outright. Similarly, there's people who are attracted to expressions that clash with traditional gendered expression. From people who like 'tom boys' or body building feminine or feminine men to people who like androgynous looks.
Basically:
1*b2Qe9SjYZO9bhmft5ozgcA.jpeg

So agender, someone who has no interest in playing a role.
I think generally the only reason for playing a role is to attract someone for sex.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Are you speaking of sexual classification made in cases of hermaphrodites? I'm taking it to be a physical classification not a psychological one.

If so, I always thought that was a class in itself and perhaps designated as such, but I'll have to look.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So agender, someone who has no interest in playing a role.
I think generally the only reason for playing a role is to attract someone for sex.
Some reject roles, some don't. Heck there's whole cultures (especially some Asian music cultures) surrounding androgyny, where people have the expectation for androgynous expression. Roles are performative, but identity isn't. And roles don't have to be traditional to still be roles.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you speaking of sexual classification made in cases of hermaphrodites? I'm taking it to be a physical classification not a psychological one.

If so, I always thought that was a class in itself and perhaps designated as such, but I'll have to look.
There is no true hermaphroditism in humans. But there is intersex. Ambiguous sex characteristics is intersex. Ambiguous gender (what's between the ears not what's between the legs) is gender non-conformity. Which includes gender fluid, genderqueer, et all.

lostwanderingsoul

I see no reason why a little boy can't play with dolls or even wear lipstick and a dress. But when he says he is a girl, he is wrong. He is just a little boy who likes to play with dolls and wear lipstick and a dress. A little boy can grow up to be a doctor or lawyer or engineer. But he can't grow up to be a woman. Gender may be based on what is between the ears instead of what is between the legs. But when gender does not agree with what is between the legs then we must not tell people that this is acceptable. It means that what is between the ears is wrong and needs to be treated that way instead of telling people they can pick what they want to be.

There are only two (2) genders: Male, and female.

Males are human beings with XY chromosomes. They have a penis, and testicles.
Females are human beings with XX chromosomes. They have a vagina, a uterus, and ovaries.

That's about it.

crossfire

Premium Member
There are only two (2) genders: Male, and female.

Males are human beings with XY chromosomes. They have a penis, and testicles.
Females are human beings with XX chromosomes. They have a vagina, a uterus, and ovaries.

That's about it.
Those are biological sexes (which you forgot intersex.)
Gender is a socially derived classification construct, whereas sex is a biologically derived classification.

lostwanderingsoul

Those are biological sexes (which you forgot intersex.)
Gender is a socially derived classification construct, whereas sex is a biologically derived classification.
"Gender is a socially derived classification construct" is a meaningless pile of garbage. In the example above, the boy who plays with dolls is still a boy. And if he wants to use the girls bathroom because he plays with dolls he needs to be told he is a boy and needs to use the boys bathroom. He may think and act and play like a girl but he is not a girl.

crossfire

Premium Member
"Gender is a socially derived classification construct" is a meaningless pile of garbage. In the example above, the boy who plays with dolls is still a boy. And if he wants to use the girls bathroom because he plays with dolls he needs to be told he is a boy and needs to use the boys bathroom. He may think and act and play like a girl but he is not a girl.
Indeed, the ancient Greek actors were all men, even those who played female characters. The actors were sexually male. The masks the actors wore represented gender according to the character role.

lostwanderingsoul

Indeed, the ancient Greek actors were all men, even those who played female characters. The actors were sexually male. The masks the actors wore represented gender according to the character role.
I bet none of these male actors ever claimed he actually WAS a female and tried to use the female bathroom. I have no problem with boys or men PLAYING like females but when they start saying they ARE females someone needs to have the guts to tell them they are wrong.