• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Having a rabbi

Tumah

Veteran Member
What's OP
What do u mean I wasn't sure?
You are claiming to have only had a religious education in the same thread that you ask basic questions about Judaism that every kid knows. So either you are playing around here, and you've never had any religious education. Or you really haven't had a secular education, but you slept through your religious classes. In which case you've not had a secular or religious education.

Leo613

You are claiming to have only had a religious education in the same thread that you ask basic questions about Judaism that every kid knows. So either you are playing around here, and you've never had any religious education. Or you really haven't had a secular education, but you slept through your religious classes. In which case you've not had a secular or religious education.
I've had no secular education in school and the religious education as u can see remains to be seen

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I figured that one out a long, long time ago, my friend --- but back in the day when you babysat me - 1st Temple period - you were singing, badly I might add,a different tune about the attitude one should have toward his babysitter.
Ya, but I went wrong somewhere in my babysitting practice because you became quite a spoiled brat. Maybe it's when I kept dropping you on your head? :(

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
How does one choose a rabbi. If religion is personal then it's a personal choice, how can the rabbi dictate to u how u should live.
My question is, if the rabbi is someone like Rabbi Schneerson, does a person have to leave the fold to follow a different rabbi?

Poisonshady313

My question is, if the rabbi is someone like Rabbi Schneerson, does a person have to leave the fold to follow a different rabbi?

The customs and traditions are so particular to any given Hasidic dynasty/sect and the communities are usually so very unified within themselves that "to follow a different rabbi" isn't really a thing that means anything. I haven't heard of any Lubavitchers determined to start following the Satmar Rebbe (grand rabbi), or vice versa. It doesn't really work like that.

Maybe you could be more specific in your question.

YoursTrue

The customs and traditions are so particular to any given Hasidic dynasty/sect and the communities are usually so very unified within themselves that "to follow a different rabbi" isn't really a thing that means anything. I haven't heard of any Lubavitchers determined to start following the Satmar Rebbe (grand rabbi), or vice versa. It doesn't really work like that.

Maybe you could be more specific in your question.
Ok. So what does the grand rabbi do?
I believe in some branches of Judaism, similar to churches, the congregation can vote out (get rid of) a rabbi or minister. But what about the Grand Rabbi? How does he get to that position, and what are his responsibilities, and can he be ousted from his position?

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
Ok. So what does the grand rabbi do?
I believe in some branches of Judaism, similar to churches, the congregation can vote out (get rid of) a rabbi or minister. But what about the Grand Rabbi? How does he get to that position, and what are his responsibilities, and can he be ousted from his position?

In terms of responsibilities, it depends on the Rabbinic position. Technically a Rabbi is anyone who received certifying authority to deliberate on Jewish Law. In practice, it's also extended to anyone with a significant degree of subjectively greater knowledge, even without authority to deliberate on Jewish Law. I'm pretty sure one of the major leading Israeli Haredi Rabbis has never received that authority, but he's memorized word-for-word perhaps hundreds of Jewish texts.

So it really depends on the particular position. There can be a communal Rabbi who functions similar to a Grand Rabbi, in that he guides his community, even if they aren't part of his congregation (or he doesn't have one).

There's a pulpit Rabbi who may either guide his particular congregation, or simply be an available authority on Jewish Law and perhaps give a sermon.

So in terms of Hassidism, you may have the Grand Rabbi of a particular Hassidic sect who's the leader of the sect. He may institute enactments for his community, give sermons, etc. However, since his community may extend beyond the town he lives in, other congregations of his sect may hire (or he may be asked to appoint) a different Rabbi as a local authority and preacher.

Since the Grand Rabbi isn't a hired pulpit Rabbi, but a community Rabbi, you don't really vote him out. Instead he relies on people choosing to follow him (as do all community Rabbis). So anyone can change their "allegiance" and switch to a different Hassidic sect or choose to follow a different Grand Rabbi. I don't think I've ever heard of a Grand Rabbi ever being tossed to the curb, but it's definitely not uncommon for individuals to switch to other Rabbis/sects or even entire groups of people to choose to follow a different Grand Rabbi.

YoursTrue

In terms of responsibilities, it depends on the Rabbinic position. Technically a Rabbi is anyone who received certifying authority to deliberate on Jewish Law. In practice, it's also extended to anyone with a significant degree of subjectively greater knowledge, even without authority to deliberate on Jewish Law. I'm pretty sure one of the major leading Israeli Haredi Rabbis has never received that authority, but he's memorized word-for-word perhaps hundreds of Jewish texts.

So it really depends on the particular position. There can be a communal Rabbi who functions similar to a Grand Rabbi, in that he guides his community, even if they aren't part of his congregation (or he doesn't have one).

There's a pulpit Rabbi who may either guide his particular congregation, or simply be an available authority on Jewish Law and perhaps give a sermon.

So in terms of Hassidism, you may have the Grand Rabbi of a particular Hassidic sect who's the leader of the sect. He may institute enactments for his community, give sermons, etc. However, since his community may extend beyond the town he lives in, other congregations of his sect may hire (or he may be asked to appoint) a different Rabbi as a local authority and preacher.

Since the Grand Rabbi isn't a hired pulpit Rabbi, but a community Rabbi, you don't really vote him out. Instead he relies on people choosing to follow him (as do all community Rabbis). So anyone can change their "allegiance" and switch to a different Hassidic sect or choose to follow a different Grand Rabbi. I don't think I've ever heard of a Grand Rabbi ever being tossed to the curb, but it's definitely not uncommon for individuals to switch to other Rabbis/sects or even entire groups of people to choose to follow a different Grand Rabbi.
Thank you for such a complete answer. I understood it.