• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you thought of...

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If you follow a religion or you live a very spiritual based lifestyle.
Have you thought of why you still feel you suffering in your life?
Yes, because I am still at the beginning of the road. When I reach the goal, suffering is finished.

Often in a religious text, it says something on the line of "if you follow the rules/guidelines in this teaching, your suffering will end".
But often when listening to religious people, they are absolutely not free of suffering, what is your thought of this?
a) Buddha, said something quite different about "life" and "suffering"
b) Bible, Job story said something quite different about "life" and "suffering"
c) My Master said "If you want God/Nirwana, God will grant you His 3 Zeroes ... be careful what you wish for, God might grant it, you might not like it"
c1) Take your health + c2) Take your wealth + c3) Take your good name (friends)

What can we do differently so that we, our self does not feel so much mental pain or suffering during our life?
My health is not good (kidney, crohn, some swelling in the head etc) ...
*) I remember Buddha, who reminded us that life is suffering (unless Self Realized)
*) I think of India, some kids begging, without having arms of legs (parents cut them of, they got the parents more money when begging)
*) I think of this American man, born without arms legs, he once came to Holland. Still smiling. Amazing. I thank God, I still have arms/legs.
*) I become humble, realizing that I am unable to cope with all this, and I need help. And I think of my Master. This does the trick most of the time. The more desperate I am, the more help I get. My problem is, that I (my ego) want to fix things, instead of surrender and ask my Master for help. I am quite stubborn at that. But I am slowly learning.

For me it has been a life long struggle to cope with all the trouble, but now, after 30 years, it finally gets a little easier, thank God.

I wish you all the strength and wisdom you need, to find your way out of this.

I hope it works out, finding your bus, to make it your home. That could be great, if that is what you like. I met someone, who was living in a caravan, and when visiting him, it always felt like a camping holiday for me. Probably, because I have been camping my whole life, and I like that. Although nowadays with my physical challenges, I am glad I have a simple small house. Less adventurous, but good enough for me.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I wish you all the strength and wisdom you need, to find your way out of this.

I hope it works out, finding your bus, to make it your home. That could be great, if that is what you like. I met someone, who was living in a caravan, and when visiting him, it always felt like a camping holiday for me. Probably, because I have been camping my whole life, and I like that. Although nowadays with my physical challenges, I am glad I have a simple small house. Less adventurous, but good enough for me.
Thank you :) At this moment in my life it would be the right thing to do for me, if i ever going to live in a bus/motor home. But there is a lot of work before i can say i have gotten there :) But with some hard work and some good friends helping me out i am sure within the end of the summer i will live in a bus :)

pingpongpal

Mods: if this is in the wrong area of the forum, feel free to move it.

Often in a religious text, it says something on the line of "if you follow the rules/guidelines in this teaching, your suffering will end".
But often when listening to religious people, they are absolutely not free of suffering, what is your thought of this?

What can we do differently so that we, our self does not feel so much mental pain or suffering during our life?

Christianity does not promise the end of suffering if you follow the rules/ guidelines for Jesus said in John 16: 33 "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." God did create the original earth with suffering but when Adam sinned, God cursed the world so we have suffering today. The good news is that God is mitigating the curse. The curse of Genesis 3 was Eve would have pain in childbirth, Adam would see thorns and thistles, and have hard labor for food, and both would die. Today we have epidurals to alleviate pain in childbirth, herbicides to kill weeds, and John Deere tractors to make farming easier. The mitigation comes through technology which comes from God since he has infinite knowledge according to Psalm 147: 5. The inventor who realized this was Samuel Morse, the invented of the telegraph. The first message he transmitted was "What hath God wrought" (Numbers 23:23) Samuel Morse realized he was thinking thoughts after God to create the telegraph.
God does promise to use His creation to bless corporate faithfulness according to Deuteronomy 28: 1-14. The founders of the United States knew this principle so they instituted sodomy laws, sabbath laws, along with other laws that codified the Old Testament Law.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Suffering is part of creation, the key is to have a healthy outlook on what this means.

It is like birth pains as we are being born from the material to our spiritual reality.

Suffering is a release from this world into our spiritual reality.

Regards Tony

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Christianity does not promise the end of suffering if you follow the rules/ guidelines for Jesus said in John 16: 33 "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." God did create the original earth with suffering but when Adam sinned, God cursed the world so we have suffering today. The good news is that God is mitigating the curse. The curse of Genesis 3 was Eve would have pain in childbirth, Adam would see thorns and thistles, and have hard labor for food, and both would die. Today we have epidurals to alleviate pain in childbirth, herbicides to kill weeds, and John Deere tractors to make farming easier. The mitigation comes through technology which comes from God since he has infinite knowledge according to Psalm 147: 5. The inventor who realized this was Samuel Morse, the invented of the telegraph. The first message he transmitted was "What hath God wrought" (Numbers 23:23) Samuel Morse realized he was thinking thoughts after God to create the telegraph.
God does promise to use His creation to bless corporate faithfulness according to Deuteronomy 28: 1-14. The founders of the United States knew this principle so they instituted sodomy laws, sabbath laws, along with other laws that codified the Old Testament Law.
From your answer, I guess this is your understanding of the gospel in the bible? Because I think many Christians would see it very differently from how you describe it. (i do not say you are wrong, only that it seems to be your interpretation of the scripture)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

one man's suffering is another man's joy. if you aren't doing what you love, then you're doing it wrong

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes.

I only suffer when I forget who I am. ;)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't see suffering as something you get rid of but learn how to shift your perspective of it. The Buddha is a good example, one I agree with, on this. He still had suffering. No ever lasting life or anything. However, his perspective of birth, life, illness, and death changed to where it didn't affect his mental state of being; he wasn't defined by it.

I also feel when we die, that's it. We interact with our loved ones still but only in a manner in which we remember them, what they owned, and where they lived and so forth.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Hi Amanaki. My understanding is things like grief, sorrow and such are a form of energy that we can channel into positive things.

For instance failure may trigger determination that was lacking and helps the person finally succeed. Being in a dark place may nudge us to turn on the lights.

Attachments

• FD22E597-61C6-41E0-A97D-0AD095B4B52B.jpeg
    FD22E597-61C6-41E0-A97D-0AD095B4B52B.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 0

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

Dear Amanaki,

If we distinguish circumstance from experience, one could say that unfortunate circumstances continue, but their suffering may lessen.

I think that we all suffer - whether believers or not.

Suffering impacts on our perspective. If we let it do so without self-reflection and self-work, it tends to impact it negatively. But if we, in time, learn to find ways of understanding how our (negative) predicaments can change us for the better; then, suffering has a chance to impact positively on our perspective.

Deep lessons are hard to learn and often man does not understand them until - by circumstances - forced to do so.

Sometimes, when we call something a lesson, we take it to mean that we have been in the wrong - therefore life will teach us a lesson. I do not see it this way.

Life offers everyone (right, wrong and anything in between) opportunities to learn. Many of these opportunities are both inevitable and painful.

Though many are those who suffer plenty and teach themselves nothing, I do believe that - though we cannot escape suffering - we can learn to choose to work hard on turning our pain into experiences that will impact our perspective constructively. And when our perspective on life improves, bad situations hurt less.

Yours humbly,
Hermit

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I think that the point is not to get rid of suffering all together. From the moment we are born, until the end, we are moving towards death, which is not a pleasant process. Life is struggle, life is suffering. The goal of religion is not to get rid of suffering, but to alleviate it, and make it more palatable to deal with.

WhyIsThatSo

The suffering never ends here, this place (world) was 'made' (created) for suffering.
Until you realize who you really are, and what this world really is..
Then the "truth will set you free".

Invisibilis

Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional.

Pain is nothing but a curious sensation. Its purpose is to get the person's attention that the body is under threat.
Suffering is a self-fabricated story of not coping with the pain. If one changes their mental focus on something else, often the pain and suffering ceases.

Most people still believe they are not okay. As a result, anything that threatens the 'self' will experience suffering (not coping). They have forgotten that they really are spirit, and not flesh. We have a body, but we are not the body. Much like we may have a vehicle, but we are not the vehicle. If the vehicle is in damaged (pain), those believing they are the vehicle will experience the pain, and the story of suffering with the vehicle as well.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"mātrā-sparśah tu, Kaunteya, śītoṣṇa-sukha-duḥkha-dāḥ;
āgama āpāyinah anityah, tan titikṣasva Bhārata." BhagawadGita 2.14

mātrā-sparśāḥ - sensory perception; tu - only; kaunteya - O son of Kuntī; śīta - winter; uṣṇa - summer; sukha - happiness; duḥkha - and pain; dāḥ - giving; āgama - appearing; apāyinaḥ - disappearing; anityāḥ - nonpermanent; tān - all of them; titikṣasva - just try to tolerate; Bhārata - O descendant of the Bharata dynasty (Arjuna)

O son of Kuntī, the impermanent appearance of happiness and distress, and their disappearance in due course, are like the appearance and disappearance of winter and summer seasons. They arise from sense perception, O Arjuna, just try to tolerate them.