• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Sinned?

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
Lol, I feel like Cartman in the Southpark Movie!

"What? I can't even say ****** off? Agh!"

P-i-s-s-e-d off! Bwaha!

My longer, more poignant post is at the bottom of the last page.

<------------

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Not to be contradictory, but didn't Jesus come to give us the "New Covenant" ?

I have always believed that the God of the old testament was not actually representative of God himself; more of what was perceived, maybe misunderstood - at worst - "manipulated" for whoever wanted to portray him that way.

http://www.wcg.org/lit/law/otl/otl04.htm

Comment: Christians have a relationship with God, and that relationship is on the basis of the new covenant, not the old. In the new covenant, God gives some commands and makes some promises, and those promises have already begun to be fulfilled. The Holy Spirit is given to us not only to transform our hearts but also as a down payment of greater blessings to come (2 Cor. 1:22). Just as the old covenant was made before all the promises were delivered, so also the new covenant has been established before all its promises are completely given.
The new covenant was ratified through the blood of Jesus Christ. Not only did his death pay for our sins, it also ended the old covenant and began the new. When we drink the wine in commemoration of Jesus' death, we show our acceptance of the new covenant, including the forgiveness that is given because of his shed blood.

"What? I can't even say ****** off? Agh!"
Well, the forum is designed for members not to resort to that kind of language.

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
michel said:
Not to be contradictory, but didn't Jesus come to give us the "New Covenant" ?

I have always believed that the God of the old testament was not actually representative of God himself; more of what was perceived, maybe misunderstood - at worst - "manipulated" for whoever wanted to portray him that way.

Fair enough. I've heard that argument before too. Chrisitianity is not considered to be religion "à la carte", and yet it's funny how they chose to retain the ten commandments, but discard the vengeful god, the animal sacrifices, the death penalty, et al. Except that Jesus' teachings are also rife with statements about god being vengeful and not to cross him. He doesn't portray god as the loving, gentle deity that those who haven't read the bible think he's bringing forth. No, Jesus didn't come to change the teachings of the Old Testament, but to give people a clean slate and an opportunity to more readily get into heaven (I guess god was getting kind of lonely up where, what with all the killing and rejecting and whatnot).

So my biggest beef remains that "thou shalt not kill" is a sacred commandment, but not only does god disregard it, but has (and does) command his people to kill when his laws are broken.

Heh, and if you want to carry on about the New Testament, Jesus only reiterates five of the ten commandments - "Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother." (Mark 10-19) Are they no longer concerned with other gods and idols? I know some christians consider worshipping the Jesus on a cross, or using the rosary was "graven images". By not mentioning them as commandments, is he saying that they're okay?

And in the very words of Jesus: "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." (Mat 5:17)

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (Mat 10:34)

But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. (Mat 15:3-4)

michel said:
Well, the forum is designed for members not to resort to that kind of language.

Lol, I'm just saying that I'm surprised that ****** off is considered a swear!

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
So my biggest beef remains that "thou shalt not kill" is a sacred commandment, but not only does god disregard it, but has (and does) command his people to kill when his laws are broken.
Maybe it's just that our system of justice is far to passive and then we wonder as to why crime continues,murders getting 1, 2 maybe 3 years in jail serving maybe half that,what's up with that.
God's criminal justice system was a deterrant as are many cultures who use that sort of consequence,eg: cutting off your hand for theft,let's see what they would do for murder.
Maybe we have become a bit to liberal and soft and you wonder why we have a soceity who has no fear of the law.

Heh, and if you want to carry on about the New Testament, Jesus only reiterates five of the ten commandments - "Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother." (Mark 10-19)
Keep reading and he will tell you what is the greatest commandMar 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this [is] the first commandment.
And the second [is] like, [namely] this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
The first command is directed to the first 4 commandments,the later is towards our fellow man

Are they no longer concerned with other gods and idols? I know some christians consider worshipping the Jesus on a cross, or using the rosary was "graven images". By not mentioning them as commandments, is he saying that they're okay?
Oh he mentions them ,when he says love the lord your god with all your heart

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
We are all perfect. Everything we do is perfect.
Actually none of us are perfect,that is so far from the truth if we truly look around in society and see the carnal,indulgences and lustful pleasures that men find themselves participating in ,not to mention the crime and violence and greed.
But hey if you see perfect that's your perspective,but to me that is wishful thinking at best