• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you seen a lot of death?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I used to dream of working with the dying but I'm certain I wouldn't be able to handle it now. It would make me very angry at God and even more difficult to stay sober.

I admire those who are strong enough to work such jobs, provided that they have healthy motives for doing so.

Have you ever worked in an old folks home, paramedic, military, or other job where death is something you encounter regularly?

Did it take it's toll on you? Are most deaths you witnessed unhappy, depressing, and scary, or is it often peaceful?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I seen enough death in my lifetime to know and accept it as a fact of life.

All the way from the military to assisting the doctor with placing corpses on the autopsy table, or help with loading vehicles from funeral parlors when I was a hospital guard.

Things like that used to disturb me, but as time went on I viewed death in a more realistic manner and recognized the role it plays.

I see it as a part of nature.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I've dealt with death a lot, but not seen a person die. I've known dying people, though. Otherwise, just pets and animals.

I've seen many, many people die on film, however (which sounds more sinister than it actually is, lol).

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've seen lots of people die, in failed medical codes, withdrawal of life support or just from end-stage disease.
You do what you can, but death is inevitable.

Often, in hopeless cases, death is chosen by the family. I switch off the life-support devices and withdraw. The family gathers around the bed, praying &/or weeping. When I see the life signs cease on remote telemetry, and the family's said their last good byes, I go back, remove the medical devices, prep the body and have it taken to the morgue.
Yes, it's sad and emotional, but that's how life is.

Suave

Simulated character
I witnessed my 81 year old grandmother take her final breath; she had a severe stroke and soon thereafter met her earthly demise in a hospice care facility, that is the only time I've seen somebody in person pass away.

I myself had a near death experience, which happened to me when I was 13 years old. It happened immediately after I had a fainting spell from hyperventilating and holding my breath in such a way that I'd forced myself to pass out. When I woke up from this fainting spell, I was floating outside and above my body. While I was floating outside and above my body, everything in the room started spinning around me and then became brightly illuminated with a blinding white light which blinded me until I descended back into my body. During this floating out of my body sensation, I felt as though I were weightless, like energy.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I used to dream of working with the dying but I'm certain I wouldn't be able to handle it now. It would make me very angry at God and even more difficult to stay sober.

I admire those who are strong enough to work such jobs, provided that they have healthy motives for doing so.

Have you ever worked in an old folks home, paramedic, military, or other job where death is something you encounter regularly?

Did it take it's toll on you? Are most deaths you witnessed unhappy, depressing, and scary, or is it often peaceful?
Personally i have seen many different people passing away, both my parents passed from cancer.
At one time i was working on a nursing home for people with dementia, and it was common that people passed away from time to time. And in multiple situations i was in the room at the moment they passed away, especially if they had no more family who could come.

For me, death is a part of life, so i do not get angry at God for taking home people. I do not get angry because people die from sickness or old age.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Probably my earliest experience was on a school trip on the Thames in London, where we all saw a police launch recovering a woman's body from the river as we passed by. Quite far away so not a lot to see. I've also seen the results of an accident on a motorway, where apparently a leaking gas canister exploded and destroyed a towed caravan and the car pulling it. The elderly driver was dead at the wheel but his wife escaped. I was on a coach, so that myself and several others got off to help clear the road of the debris. I also saw a woman I think run down by a milk float close to home. Saw my father when he passed away, and since I wasn't that close to him, I didn't feel a lot at the time. I can't say that experiencing any of these did much to me apart from the obvious sadness for all involved. Seen, or been involved in, plenty of accidents so perhaps such has caused some immunity.

Last edited:

pearl

I have worked at nursing homes and later with hospice care provided in own homes. I can only admire the courage expressed toward the event of their death.