• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Met A...

Who Have You Met?

• Sikh

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Jain

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Daoist

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Buddhist

Votes: 44 80.0%
  • Baha'i

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Muslim

Votes: 54 98.2%
  • Neopagan

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Hindu

Votes: 42 76.4%
  • Jew

Votes: 44 80.0%
  • Left Hand Path

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Because I have too much time to think, I've been pondering lately how you meet people with various beliefs here on the forums, but may not have ever met anyone with those beliefs personally. How about you? Have you met people from the following religions(in person, not online)?

For the sake of this poll, I'm going to assume most of us that are on the forums live in places in which we've likely met a Christian or an Atheist. If you have not, please state that.

As for the religions listed, if you know what sect they belong to, feel free to add that. Or, if you've met a person from a notable faith that I haven't listed, please add that as well.

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Because I have too much time to think, I've been pondering lately how you meet people with various beliefs here on the forums, but may not have ever met anyone with those beliefs personally. How about you? Have you met people from the following religions?

For the sake of this poll, I'm going to assume most of us that are on the forums live in places in which we've likely met a Christian or an Atheist. If you have not, please state that.

As for the religions listed, if you know what sect they belong to, feel free to add that. Or, if you've met a person from a notable faith that I haven't listed, please add that as well.

I used to carpool in elementary school with a Sikh boy. I remember once he explained a little of his religion to me and he told me that Sikhs worship the same God as Christians. When I got home and relayed this information to my Baptist parents, they were displeased and insisted that wasn't true haha. But they were very nice, highly intelligent people.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Dang...I've met'm all.
Worked with many.
Hired many.
Gimme a harder quiz, eh.

Alright, a bonus edition just for you...

How about someone who practices Shinto? How about someone who practices Vodou? How about a Druid? How about someone following the Yoruba religion? Maybe an enthusiastic adherent from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, complete with colander on head?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Alright, a bonus edition just for you...

How about someone who practices Shinto? How about someone who practices Vodou? How about a Druid? How about someone following the Yoruba religion? Maybe an enthusiastic adherent from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, complete with colander on head?
None of those....yet.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
You mind me asking your general whereabouts? :)

It was at the Fort Worth Zoo, to be exact. My car battery had died and a nice Muslim man was the only person who volunteered to give my car a jump start. I asked several other people before this gentlemen came along, and they all declined helping me. A few of these people didn't even answer me, they just shook their head no and kept walking. I remember it well because I was put out by a couple of these rude and inconsiderate people because they were wearing a Christian cross.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It was at the Fort Worth Zoo, to be exact. My car battery had died and a nice Muslim man was the only person who volunteered to give my car a jump start. I asked several other people before this gentlemen came along, and they all declined helping me. A few of these people didn't even answer me, they just shook their head no and kept walking. I remember it well because I was put out by a couple of these rude and inconsiderate people because they were wearing a Christian cross.

I take it you live in Texas, then? I've heard its a mostly Christian area... had a Druid friend move there once, and she got a lot of scuff over it(I think she eventually converted in hopes of having a social life).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Not recently of course, but I've been at events from our local interfaith group Congregational Members List where I've met a bunch of those on your list. We've had events where people presented something from their group, songs, dances, meditations so we could get a taste of what they believe.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I take it you live in Texas, then? I've heard its a mostly Christian area... had a Druid friend move there once, and she got a lot of scuff over it(I think she eventually converted in hopes of having a social life).

Yes, I live in Texas, and it seems to be predominantly Christian, or at least that's my perception of the area.

In my case, the Muslim was the Good Samaritan, and not the Christians who passed by and wouldn't help me in my time of need.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Because I have too much time to think, I've been pondering lately how you meet people with various beliefs here on the forums, but may not have ever met anyone with those beliefs personally. How about you? Have you met people from the following religions(in person, not online)?

The most interesting religion to me that is not on the list is the Parsees, Zoroastrians. I met one in Dubai, a very interesting and cultivated man. I’ve also met a Japanese Shinto follower, though it was in a very low key way. (And a number of Japanese Catholics too, which surprised me, until I learned about the Jesuit mission.)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
The most interesting religion to me that is not on the list is the Parsees, Zoroastrians. I met one in Dubai, a very interesting and cultivated man.

That's awesome! Never met a Zoroastrian. I know little of the faith.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
To my knowledge I've never met a Jainist, but I've met everyone else on the list.

No has met a proper Druid in centuries. We don't even actually know that much about the Celtic religions as a whole.

I meant a modern Druid. :p There are plenty of them(and most acknowledge the lack of information regarding the topic).