• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you given to the victims of Hurricane Harvey or Irma?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
If you have not already donated to the victims of Hurricane Harvey or Irma, please give today. There are all sorts of charitable services collecting. A simple google search should find one you trust.

Please give generously.

No, but they haven't given to me either.

I've always said I would give if they'd move out of the damn flood plane, but they don't they just keep putting their crap up there. I'll keep my word when they do something that makes sense.

That entire region is just a drain on the entire economy, and I just see it as money wasted.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've always said I would give if they'd move out of the damn flood plane, but they don't they just keep putting their crap up there. I'll keep my word when they do something that makes sense.
What of those born there, have obligations there, for whatever reason can't go elsewhere, and, of course, what about the fact that damn near everyone lives somewhere that is prone to some sort of destructive natural disaster? Earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, land slides/avalanches, floods, extreme high or low tempuratures, drought, and so on?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
No, but they haven't given to me either.

That entire region is just a drain on the entire economy, and I just see it as money wasted.
Dang!
I thought I was a hardass.
Tom

Super Universe

Defender of God
The unfortunate reality is that the American Red Cross volunteers do the best they can with limited money they are given. The volunteers help people. The American Red Cross executives do not. There are 15 of them who "steal" millions of dollars that are meant to go to people in need. The CEO of the American Red Cross "steals" $516,000 a year and the lowest paid executive "steals" $316,000 a year.

Even the CEO of St. Jude's Children's Hospital steals $1 million a year from the money donated to help kids with cancer.

People should be able to give directly to FEMA.

Also, there should be regulations on how much charitable organizations can pay their executives. I would cap it at $50,000 a year for the CEO and no more than $200,000 in total for all executives and 80% of earnings must go to help people.

There is no morality in capitalism, morality has to be forced upon others.

esmith

Veteran Member
Every since the Red Cross charged my father for a doughnut and a cup of coffee I refuse to donate to them. We give to the Salvation Army instead, along with other charities.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If you have not already donated to the victims of Hurricane Harvey or Irma, please give today. There are all sorts of charitable services collecting. A simple google search should find one you trust.

Please give generously.
I agree very good suggestion, but I like to remind people to be very careful and prudent about who they give their money to, and to check out the Charity's expenditures and find out how much of your dollar actually goes to the victims as others have already pointed out.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Dang!
I thought I was a hardass.
Tom

It's not even being a dick, it's just throwing money at lost causes. I wish people would stop being pussies and just say it. I'm not insensitive to their plight, but because someone else decides to make poor life decisions doesn't exactly mean I have to empty my wallet. There are literally places in these hurricane areas where the chance your house will receive catastrophic damage in a flood is a _certainty_. Should we rebuild their houses every 3-5 years every time? I mean ****, sign me up on that deal... I want a new house every 3-5 years...

DavidFirth

It's not even being a dick, it's just throwing money at lost causes. I wish people would stop being pussies and just say it. I'm not insensitive to their plight, but because someone else decides to make poor life decisions doesn't exactly mean I have to empty my wallet. There are literally places in these hurricane areas where the chance your house will receive catastrophic damage in a flood is a _certainty_. Should we rebuild their houses every 3-5 years every time? I mean ****, sign me up on that deal... I want a new house every 3-5 years...

Okay, we get it, you don't want to give. How about you leave this thread alone?

4consideration

Premium Member
I'll have you know that things have changed since I sheetrocked my bathroom window.
Ask @4consideration . When she claims ignorance you'll know it's true.
Tom
I'll testify on your behalf.

Rock solid, people. Rock solid! ;)

edit: For those of you that know I'm in Florida, we are in an area not expected to get much damage.

If you are inclined to donate to help those in harm's way, please do so.

Also, information readily available though technology has become so valuable. Please consider that people you know may need help you can do without money -- like search for available resources in real time -- from where you are.

Being stuck in slow interstate travel, with dwindling dollars and/or lack of availability of resources, incredible stress (and the interruption of everything you know and expect to be so) takes it's toll on one's psyche. It becomes very hard to think. Even if you don't have money, just helping someone locate a shelter, or organization location close to where they are (or going) that offers help, could be like gold.

Last edited:

DavidFirth

Irma has devastated the Caribbean and is destroying Florida right now. It is expected to strongly affect weather and cause damage in Alabama and Georgia also.

Please pray for us and give whatever you can to help. People have lost loved ones, houses, cars. Businesses have been completely wiped out.