• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you faced prejudice because of your religion?

Have you faced prejudice because of your religion?

• Yes, I am Catholic

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes, I am Christian

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Yes, I am Muslim

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes, I am agnostic

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yes, I am atheist

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Yes, I am Jewish

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yes, I follow an Eastern belief

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I am Pagan or Wiccan

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Yes, I follow another belief

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • No, I've never faced prejudice because of my religious beliefs

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters

Prima

Have you faced prejudice or unkindness of any sort because of your religious beliefs? The poll will be up in a moment. Feel free to share your experiences.

Pah

Uber all member
I have never been face-to-face with overt prejudice for my atheism and I quite discount that which has been expressed on this and other forums

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
No, I've never faced prejudice because of my religious beliefs

Probably, largely due to the fact that keep most of my beliefs to myself unless asked about it. It's something that is very personal and private to me.

Prima

I myself have faced general nastiness and ignorance. I haven't faced anything too bad, however.

No*s

Captain Obvious
My family wasn't too receptive of my Christianity from the outset, much less Orthodoxy, and I've found myself the target of missionaries who want to save me from my "works-based" salvation more than once (I can relate to the non-Christians on the latter :p). Both groups have a strong dislike of Orthodoxy. Ironically, it is the secular and the Roman Catholics who are most accepting :)

Saw11_2000

Yes, when people hear I'm atheist, sometimes I get the occasional go to hell. Also, people think that I'm a flag burning uber-liberal, which is simply not true. People also think that I'm stupid because I don't believe in God...etc.

People can be quite nasty sometimes.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
It most recently happened today, when I was attending my first pagan symposium at a local U.U. church. A homeless man came in, wearing a "Faith" cap, and started looking through the books we were trading to each other. It became evident, as I tried to strike up a conversation with the person, that he was, to put it kindly, a raving space-looney. He would have a normal sentance or two, and then notice a page and say something like "Ah, so this is what you people believe" and I would point out that only certain paths practisced whatever tradition he was rambling about. Finally, someone was kind enough to grab the 'leader' of the gathering, and she asked him if she could be of any help. He demanded that she go around and take up a collection for him, and she said "I'm sorry, but I can't do that, sir. In fact, I'll have to ask you to be leaving now." So the guy repeated "Oh, I have to be leaving now?!" in a confrontational manner, and was screaming "Get out of the church, witches!" as he angrily marched out of the building.

Apparently, he didn't get the concept of U.U. It was still a wonderful day!

I'm a bit scared, since my family is thinking of moving to small-town Iowa, a particular town where anyone who doesn't go to the local tiny church only does so because they think that church is too liberal because it doesn't officially condemn abortions in the cases or rape or incest. (The landlord was kind enough to tell us why he didn't go there, thinking that we of the same faith as he.) Mind you, I'm also finding living in the city right now even more frightening than anything else.

I've a feeling my father's side of the family would burn me if they found out I was a Pagan, but I try not to share my opinions about things to them, hehee!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Yes. I have been disowned by my mother. I have been cursed by those I have shared my faith with. I had my grade lowered for inviting a professor to church.

II Timothy 3:12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Mr_Spinkles said:
That's another thing I like about this forum....the Christians, nontheists, Wiccans, etc. can all agree on one thing: that everyone deserves to be treated with respect and kindness, regardless of their creed.
"You must spread Karma out..." :149: How dare my fruballing rights be limited?! (Because that would cause unlimited fruballing is why, but I like to pretend I don't know the answer.)

Well said!

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
For those who have never felt prejudice, I feel sorry for you, being left out and all, so I will help you.

I hate you all, for your religious beliefs!!!!:mad:

Now you have had an experience of prejudice against you, brought on by your religious beliefs. :)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Druidus said:
I hate you all, for your religious beliefs!!!!:mad:
Or 'I hate you for this particular one of your religious beliefs (or non-beliefs)!'

I wouldn't want anyone to experience that, though.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Yes, I have had a former co-worker find it necessary to follow me around the work place with a bible in hand quoting from it and outright telling me that I was going to burn in hell for all eternity and stuff like that.

I have also had an old science teacher of mine see my pentacle and start plying me with questions about goat sacrificing and drunken ritual orgies and such.

I don't let this stuff bother me really though. I don't care...I chalk it up to ignorance. This doesn't stop me from wearing my pentacle or admitting my faith to anyone who asks. I am proud of what I am and I feel everyone should be. I would never make comments to anyone like those made to me, but everyone cannot claim to open-mindedness either.

Alien_Youth

Soldier in God's army
I have received prejudice since I became a christian as people tend to lump in born again christians such as myself with jehovah's witness and therefore when I tell people I am a christian they immediately assume that I am going to try and be like the Jehovah's witness which I'm not. I know why the Jehovah's witness do what they do. I don't enjoy it when they knock at my door trying to convert me but I respect that it is part of their faith and politely tell them that I have already found God. I just wish that people would ask me about my specific beliefs before lumping me in with another religion based on the fact that people's main perception of born again christian is people like Benny Hinn (no offence to him) who's main mission is to have religious crusades and covert people. Even though I have the same beliefes and have asked God into my heart as he has I wouldn't go having crusades as faith is more easily shared through a lifestyle and personal testimonies.

Just my thoughts on this isssue,

God Bless you all,

Alien Youth

p.s. I apologize for my somewhat closemindedness in the Satanism debate. I did more reading on it and even though I still feel it is evil and I don't like it. I will defend my beliefs and if any Satanist wants to learn about my religion and beliefs they can ask me but I will not be a zealot any longer.

M

Majikthise

Saw11_2000 said:
Yes, when people hear I'm atheist, sometimes I get the occasional go to hell. Also, people think that I'm a flag burning uber-liberal, which is simply not true. People also think that I'm stupid because I don't believe in God...etc.

People can be quite nasty sometimes.
I have also been refered to as stupid.(JWs)
I am not in the habit of casually bringing up my beliefs in conversation as I am not out to "convert " anyone.Other than the above stated incident ,though, I have not had any problems.Excepting one time my wife's coworker thought atheist meant devil worshiper.But I wasn't there and just had a good chuckle over it.:D

Saw11_2000

Majikthise said:
I have also been refered to as stupid.(JWs)
I am not in the habit of casually bringing up my beliefs in conversation as I am not out to "convert " anyone.Other than the above stated incident ,though, I have not had any problems.Excepting one time my wife's coworker thought atheist meant devil worshiper.But I wasn't there and just had a good chuckle over it.:D
What are with those JWs? I've heard bad stories about some, but my grandmother is JW, and she's nice, celebrates birthday, gives Christmas presents, etc.

I guess it's just the individual.