• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever saved a person's life?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Back when I was younger and felt immortal, I was a rock climber - jeez! In that capacity I saved many lives and had mine saved many times. It's a ridiculous sport, but boy oh boy, does it ever teach trust of your partner!

I once stumbled into a situation where a person was having a seizure. I made the person as safe as I could and forced a passerby to call 911. Not sure how life-threatening the situation really was though.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
This is an interesting thread, and I am reticent to post. Please... no "good job".

I have rescued a number of people... but mostly because I'm a Scuba Instructor. I got it from my Dad. He flew med-evac in Korea. In fact, the Master Chief who taught me to dive had been rescued by my Dad. He always wanted to do something for my dad to show his appreciation, but he died before that happened. Ergo, he paid it back to me instead. As for me, I have provided air to a half a dozen or so out of air divers. I've towed a number of exhausted divers, preventing them from drowning. However, the best rescue is the incident you prevent. I've caught a lot of those over the 48 years I've been diving. It's mostly a matter of situational awareness.

However, if we're referring to nail biting, every second counts rescues, then the number is only one. There are a number of embarrassing details with that rescue, so don't expect a detailed account. :D I saved two students (not mine) who had gotten separated from their instructor and were completely narced. I'm certain had I not intervened, that they both would have perished. We spent three days in a decompression chamber together and I learned a lot from that experience. Only my students get to hear the details so they can learn from my mistakes. This is the only public admission of this incident I've ever made.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I once stumbled into a situation where a person was having a seizure. I made the person as safe as I could and forced a passerby to call 911. Not sure how life-threatening the situation really was though.
Why did the person have to be forced?! "Oh come on Icey, it's just a seizure. He'll be okay."

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I matched someone and donated stem cells (like donating marrow only instead of doing it from the hip in one procedure, you do it on a pheresis machine over 2 days after 5 treatments of neupogen). That, and I have stopped myself from killing people and I think that should count.
iu

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
You all did so well, congratulations and thank
you all for the lives saved, no matter how small
you may think your contribution ...

As for myself, far too many to remember or list.
First as a Surf Lifesaver back in the 60's/70's
and after from then a voluntary Ambulance Officer, Paramedic ...
these days it seems dressing up nice to go out
to a fancy dinner or theater .. will oft be the trigger to come across yet another Motor Traffic accident... the nice clothes yet again
bloodied and the social event diverted. ..

Spiderman

Veteran Member
You all did so well, congratulations and thank
you all for the lives saved, no matter how small
you may think your contribution ...

As for myself, far too many to remember or list.
First as a Surf Lifesaver back in the 60's/70's
and after from then a voluntary Ambulance Officer, Paramedic ...
these days it seems dressing up nice to go out
to a fancy dinner or theater .. will oft be the trigger to come across yet another Motor Traffic accident... the nice clothes yet again
bloodied and the social event diverted. ..
iu

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I have not knowingly saved a person's life. My greatest attempt, sadly, failed.

I have, however, saved the lives of animals. I was driving to work one morning when the car I was following hit a dog and continued driving. I picked up the dog and desperately tried to find a emergency vet, as the dog had been run over, was alive, but despondent, and I feared internal injuries. I found an emergency vet about 20 miles from the incident and brought the dog there. I continued to work after checking the dog in. Ultimately, the vet found the dog's owner, and though the dog was in serious condition, he made a full recovery.

I have pulled over to pick up snapping turtles who were crossing busy highways to put them on the side of the road to which they were attempting to be.

I also have, on a couple of occasions, stopped freeway traffic for an animal attempting to cross the road and got confused.
That is good that you saved the lives of animals. That counts! Animals make a difference!