• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever fainted?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Other than drug-related grand mal seizures, I've never fainted.

If you have, what caused it? I hear women sometimes faint from good news like "you won the lottery" or the Pope visiting them. (Though I'm well aware that not all people would consider that good news lol, I asked a lady what she would do if the pope visited her Retreat Center. She said she would faint. Is there good reasons you might faint?)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

If you have, what caused it? I hear women sometimes faint from good news like "you won the lottery" or the Pope visiting them. (Though I'm well aware that not all people would consider that good news lol, I asked a lady what she would do if the pope visited her Retreat Center. She said she would faint. Is there good reasons you might faint?)

Once, I was sick, in school. Walked up to the teacher to tell him I wasn't feeling well, vaguely remember him trying to catch me as I fell to the floor. Then I threw up.

Wouldn't say I was exactly unconscious, more like the edges of my vision darkened, went to black with sporadic images still getting to my brain. Had no physical control over my body, just collapsed where I stood. I suspect I could have gotten pretty hurt it the teacher hadn't caught me on the way to the floor.

I imagine it's usually used as a colloquial expression by most but it's a real thing. Brain/consciousness just shuts down for a moment.

Daemon Sophic

Actually over fifty years I’ve never fainted, but I came close twice now in the past 6 months.
Once from hyperventilating while lifting weights, and the other time while nearly exhausted from hiking a long trail. I fell and smashed my rump on the large root of a tree. As I tensed up and stifled a scream, I almost lost conciousness. It was good that I didn’t since I was on the edge of a rocky slope. :eek:

I’ve seen quite a few people faint though.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I was introduced to the "pass-out game" in the early 90s (no, I will not share the details on how it's played ITT). Aside from being knocked out by a 40 pound iron ladder jack hitting me in the head from a height of 30 feet, that's the only time I was rendered unconscious.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I remember bouncing out if bed when I was quite young and landing on the floor LOL. I was fine, it was a case of being prone too long and then suddenly standing straight up and my young metabolism could not keep up LOL. Only happened once... as I was more wary after that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
One hot day about 50 years ago, I was carrying a heavy slab of pre-fab building on the back of a flatbed and stepped over the side. I landed flat on my back, and a rock hit my spine. The next thing I remember was waking to a friend with his hands in my mouth making sure my tongue stayed free. Apparently I was out about 2 minutes. The one and only time. Very weird mental imagery went past as it happened, much like suddenly going into a dream state.

Got the afternoon off, went to a doctor.

Earthling

David Henson

Yeah, several times. A couple times as a teenager, due to muscle spasms in my back. Once doing dishes at the Arby's I worked at and another time when laughing unexpectedly at the Monty Python scene where the animator has a heart attack.

Then in my twenties I had a stone in a saliva gland and it was very painful to eat. I hadn't done so in three days and went to hospital to have blood work done and passed out seeing the blood and needle. Then once about that same time when my black lab was hit by a car and the vet took a giant needle and stuck it in her stomach to see if she was bleeding internally. I felt very dizzy and walked out to the lobby where I passed out. The veterinarian's young daughter thought it was hysterical.

When I finally had surgery on the saliva gland I passed out in pre-op, I told my dad they must have given me drugs but the nurse said no, the IV only had saline solution at that time. Well, it was enough for me.

Just a series of ridiculous and embarrassing events, really. Come to think of it.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

No however two or three times I momentarily blacked out when my head hit the bottom of something. The blackouts did not last long just a few seconds. These happened due to a fall through the air and a poorly designed water flume ride at an amusement park. Each blackout was preceded by a loud bang. When I fell through the air and hit the ground other people heard the crack from far away. When I hit the bottom of the pool only I heard a bang.