• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever been to Cologne, Germany?

ronki23

I'm planning to go to Germany sometime in 2019 and have heard that Berlin is the coolest place to go. But I also want to do West Germany so perhaps Cologne.

Apart from the Cathedral, what is there to do and see in Cologne? I'm thinking of Cologne Carnival but what else? Would 5 days be too long because Carnival starts Thursday and finishes Tuesday?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Ooh, you're lucky. I'd love to see Germany. Hell, I'd love to live there. Berlin seems kind of overrated, like large cities in general. Maybe worth a visit but not worth making it the centerpiece of the trip. In Europe, it tends to be the smaller towns, older cities and countryside that are the real attractions. That's where the real history and spirit of a country is. Be sure to visit the Black Forest if you're a nature lover!

5 days in Cologne doesn't seem like too much. There's lots of things to do and see:
25 Best Things to Do in Cologne (Germany) - The Crazy Tourist

ronki23

Ooh, you're lucky. I'd love to see Germany. Hell, I'd love to live there. Berlin seems kind of overrated, like large cities in general. Maybe worth a visit but not worth making it the centerpiece of the trip. In Europe, it tends to be the smaller towns, older cities and countryside that are the real attractions. That's where the real history and spirit of a country is. Be sure to visit the Black Forest if you're a nature lover!

5 days in Cologne doesn't seem like too much. There's lots of things to do and see:
25 Best Things to Do in Cologne (Germany) - The Crazy Tourist

It's a shame we only get 3 days in Berlin; i'd prefer 4 days there because the Grunewald Forest would take a day in itself. We need to be back on a Sunday so i'm thinking Wednesday we arrive in Berlin so we get Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Unless we arrive in Berlin on Tuesday because the highlight of Cologne Carnival is the Monday so perhaps we don't need to stay in Cologne on Tuesday. We plan to arrive in Cologne on Thursday; the day before the carnival starts. So we get Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday to explore Cologne.

Just depends if it's worth staying till Tuesday in Cologne because the carnival ends on Wednesday but the highlight is Monday

ronki23

Carnival ends on the Wednesday so need to decide whether we leave on Tuesday or Wednesday because the highlight of the carnival is Rosenmuntag on Monday. Probably leave Cologne on Tuesday so we get Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday in Berlin

Flankerl

I can generally advice against rushing through cities. It's an error many tourists do, they run through the big attractions and hop to the next city.

When they are back home they usually can't tell you anything about the country they just been to and never had any contact with the natives.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm planning to go to Germany sometime in 2019 and have heard that Berlin is the coolest place to go. But I also want to do West Germany so perhaps Cologne.

Apart from the Cathedral, what is there to do and see in Cologne? I'm thinking of Cologne Carnival but what else? Would 5 days be too long because Carnival starts Thursday and finishes Tuesday?
You should try checking out an event at Fernsgarten in Minsk Germany.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Besides the cathedral visit the Ludwig museum (modern art with a lot of Picasso), also the Imhoff-Schokoladenmu chocolate museum, in fact there are quite a few museums. How about a Rhine cruise or see some roman history at the north gate

ronki23

Besides the cathedral visit the Ludwig museum (modern art with a lot of Picasso), also the Imhoff-Schokoladenmu chocolate museum, in fact there are quite a few museums. How about a Rhine cruise or see some roman history at the north gate

I'm not interested in museums simply because by the time i've read everything there the day is almost over.

Rhine cruise and North gate do sound good to me

ronki23

My last 2 holidays will be Germany and South Korea/Japan both 2019. While I would like to go to India at Diwali I don't know when, if ever, I will go because 2019 will cost a fortune

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'm not interested in museums simply because by the time i've read everything there the day is almost over.

Rhine cruise and North gate do sound good to me

Ahh, ok, i could spend my life wondering around museums.

There is a lot to do just walking around or getting a city bus ticket. (Cant remember what they are called but i am sure you can find out on the internet)

ronki23

I can generally advice against rushing through cities. It's an error many tourists do, they run through the big attractions and hop to the next city.

When they are back home they usually can't tell you anything about the country they just been to and never had any contact with the natives.

Thank you @Flankerl

I was told Hochdeutch and Plattdeutch have a friendly rivalry with one another? Because my German friend doesn't recommend Munich or Frankfurt. Most people I know who've been there highly recommend Berlin. I thought the difference in culture was between West and East Germany- hence the reason I chose Cologne (I was originally going to do Berlin and Munich but was told Munich is boring and overpriced).

Out of curiosity, will I be allowed to visit the synagogues in Germany? I have no synagogue local to me in the UK. I've always had admiration for the Jews- despite their small population they have considerable influence in the world.

Because Dubai was really cool I am also interested in seeing Jordan too so i'd probably do Egypt, Jordan and Israel. I would love to go to Israel one day but nobody my age to go with- I want to party in Tel Aviv. Hence my interest in seeing Germany's synagogues

Last edited:

ronki23

Ahh, ok, i could spend my life wondering around museums.

There is a lot to do just walking around or getting a city bus ticket. (Cant remember what they are called but i am sure you can find out on the internet)

I see. I want to do Germany before Brexit and because i've done France 5 times. I definately want to do Berlin but I wanted to go somewhere else in Germany too so originally I planned Munich but was told it's boring and overpriced. So I chose Rhineland; originally I was going to do Frankfurt, Bonn and Dusseldorf but I was told Frankfurt is not a nice place while Bonn and Dusseldorf look boring.

Flankerl

I was told Hochdeutch and Plattdeutch have a friendly rivalry with one another?

Not really. Low German is pretty much dead due to it being made fun of since the 19th century as a language of stupid people and thus not being taught and discriminated against.
You may find it among old people in small towns.

Because my German friend doesn't recommend Munich or Frankfurt.

I don't see the connection. Neither München nor Frankfurt are areas where Low German was ever spoken.
That said München is a city for tourists and Frankfurt isn't. Unless you are into banking.

Most people I know who've been there highly recommend Berlin.

All foreigners ever recommend Berlin for various reasons.
The city is well equipped to handle tourists as you can get by English quite well compared to literally any other German city.
But this usually results in the tourist not interacting with Germans and having no clue about the country they've been to apart from the Wall and Hitler.

I thought the difference in culture was between West and East Germany- hence the reason I chose Cologne (I was originally going to do Berlin and Munich but was told Munich is boring and overpriced).

The difference in culture is not only East and West. It's not as bad as Switzerland but for example Cologne is in the Rhineland.
Meanwhile on the other side of the state is Westphalia. The people genuinely (friendly) dislike each other and are nothing alike with the people in Rhineland being more open and "fun" and the ones in Westphalia being more like stereotypical North Germans, which they are as Westphalia is traditionally a Low German area while the Rhineland is Central German.
Differences in culture are in states and districts all over the country. Another example being Franconia in Bavaria.

Out of curiosity, will I be allowed to visit the synagogues in Germany?

No.
For that you will need to contact the Synagogue ahead of time and prove who you are, Passport for example.
If they approve you visiting you will then have to show your Passport at the entrance where the police officer will check you.

ronki23

For goodness sake, I can't go to Germany until October/ November now. Even then i'm only doing Berlin

Kiopo

Are there any churches or Chapels worth visiting in Germany? I have been to Israel once and has visited almost all the sacred places. Germany and Singapore are in my bucket-list next. Already booked Singapore Malaysia tour packages and will be there by next month. I collected the list of important Christian religious centers over there.