• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever been asked.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Have you ever been asked to hold a spiritual/religious lecture before?
If yes how was your experience?
What was your choice of topic forthe lecture?

I have been asked to holde a few lectures in the new year and currently working on the teching.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No I have never given such a lecture and I hope I'm never asked to do so. It's not because talking in public is an issue - I gave technical lectures at IT conferences. It's because the subject matter is so dependent on the viewpoint of members of the audience that I don't see how I could say anything coherent about some topics.

And others that I might be able to approach are not interesting to others. I learned that when I told some people about wonderful songs I had found that support certain ideals. What I consider to be incredibly appropriate songs are not interesting to others.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe

I have been asked to holde a few lectures in the new year and currently working on the teching.

WOW!

You have more courage than I have.

Well, that's mostly because I know nobody would be interested in anything I had to say.

So the only practical suggestion would be to look up the group or groups on the Internet to get an understand of what they are about, so you can have some idea what teachings of your's might best match their's.

That's all I got.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
WOW!

You have more courage than I have.

Well, that's mostly because I know nobody would be interested in anything I had to say.

So the only practical suggestion would be to look up the group or groups on the Internet to get an understand of what they are about, so you can have some idea what teachings of your's might best match their's.

That's all I got.

I have been asked to teach basic buddhism for the two first lectures, and this i have done a few times before. But if all go well the two first lectures, then i have been asked to teach insight meditation to dedicated Theravada buddhists, and honestly that is a bit more challenging :)

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe

I just had another semi bright idea, maybe you could call or E-mail them and get some suggestions on what you could talk about.

Shantanu

I think you are doing a wonderful thing. I have never been asked as I lead a very secluded life developing my knowledge.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think you are doing a wonderful thing. I have never been asked as I lead a very secluded life developing my knowledge.
Personally i found teaching to be not only teaching for others but actually it is a moment of lesson for me too, that is the time i really see my own knowledge, so i take it as a way of progressing too.

Shantanu

Personally i found teaching to be not only teaching for others but actually it is a moment of lesson for me too, that is the time i really see my own knowledge, so i take it as a way of progressing too.
Absolutely, this is why I have done Forums for 10 years or so because it teaches the truth by exposing one's truth to new ideas and criticisms.

PureX

Veteran Member
No I have never given such a lecture and I hope I'm never asked to do so. It's not because talking in public is an issue - I gave technical lectures at IT conferences. It's because the subject matter is so dependent on the viewpoint of members of the audience that I don't see how I could say anything coherent about some topics.

And others that I might be able to approach are not interesting to others. I learned that when I told some people about wonderful songs I had found that support certain ideals. What I consider to be incredibly appropriate songs are not interesting to others.
Yes. I have long been interested in the subject of spirituality within the arts, or the spirituality being expressed through a great many works of art, past and present. But it's still a difficult subject to talk about because art is by it's nature a very subjective experience. (However, the fact that we all seem to HAVE these subjective experiences relative to most works of art indicates to me that a significant and universal phenomena is still at work, there.) Art is how we express to each other how we experience and understand our own reality. It serves to inform us, to challenge us, to show us we are not alone, to show us how unique we are, AND how alike we are at the same time, and to clarify through the articulations of others, that which we are thinking and feeling within ourselves. Which, I think, makes art a very good means of sharing and exploring the human 'spirit', and what that means to us.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Not on spiritual matters, no, but I have taught several computer courses over the years and am comfortable speaking in front of an audience. (I can actually be serious when I force myself!)

In "spiritual" terms, I keep a very low profile with those around me and though I am a master of "Koan speak" I would not relish speaking to a larger audience on any spiritual topic. I did the "teacher" thing once, well, twice, and vowed I would never make that mistake again.

I loved teaching in a classroom setting. That was a very rewarding experience.

What was your choice of topic for the lecture?
I didn't actually prepare lectures but would go through concepts from stem to stern in a very methodical way. It was done on the fly and without notes. I knew my topic(s) thoroughly so I could handle any questions with ease. The tricky part was finding ways to express it to my mainly Hong Kong Chinese students who were still mastering English. That is where we had a lot of fun in back and forth discussions.

I have been asked to hold a few lectures in the new year and currently working on the teching.
Just talk from the heart and do not get too deep, especially at first. Work out common themes that most would understand and then work them into established Buddhist doctrine. Nothing simpler :) (I'm sure you will do fine.)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Not on spiritual matters, no, but I have taught several computer courses over the years and am comfortable speaking in front of an audience. (I can actually be serious when I force myself!)

In "spiritual" terms, I keep a very low profile with those around me and though I am a master of "Koan speak" I would not relish speaking to a larger audience on any spiritual topic. I did the "teacher" thing once, well, twice, and vowed I would never make that mistake again.

I loved teaching in a classroom setting. That was a very rewarding experience.

I didn't actually prepare lectures but would go through concepts from stem to stern in a very methodical way. It was done on the fly and without notes. I knew my topic(s) thoroughly so I could handle any questions with ease. The tricky part was finding ways to express it to my mainly Hong Kong Chinese students who were still mastering English. That is where we had a lot of fun in back and forth discussions.

Just talk from the heart and do not get too deep, especially at first. Work out common themes that most would understand and then work them into established Buddhist doctrine. Nothing simpler :) (I'm sure you will do fine.)

The first speech/ lecture i will do will be about the 4 noble truth of suffering and 8 folded path ( core teaching in buddhism) , so far i have written a few pages, but think it can be a speec that willlast 20-30 minutes.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The first speech/ lecture i will do will be about the 4 noble truth of suffering and 8 folded path ( core teaching in buddhism) , so far i have written a few pages, but think it can be a speec that willlast 20-30 minutes.
Plus, I assume you will be doing this in your native language, correct? (IE. Not in English.)
(Note: Your English is quite good, but it is obvious that it is not your native tongue.)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You are feeling perky then! I would just pass whatever you write by a native English speaker prior to giving the lecture just to make sure it is all good.
I use a native english speaker to look over it yes. someone who is a buddhist too, so he know the teaching too :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I use a native english speaker to look over it yes. someone who is a buddhist too, so he know the teaching too :)
Excellent! You will do just fine. Remember your breathing while talking, nice and regular
I don't know about you or others, but I like to walk around while I am talking. I think better when I am moving. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Excellent! You will do just fine. Remember your breathing while talking, nice and regular
I don't know about you or others, but I like to walk around while I am talking. I think better when I am moving. :)

Hehe As a buddhist i do notice my breath all the time :)
personally i like to sit in front of the listeners . Sitting in lutus position or half lotus. But that is maybe because it feel most comfortable to me

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hehe As a buddhist i do notice my breath all the time :)
personally i like to sit in front of the listeners . Sitting in lutus position or half lotus. But that is maybe because it feel most comfortable to me
I just noticed on your profile that you are 41 years old. I'm heading towards 63 in February, so have been sitting long enough now and that's why I like to walk around LOL. It's all good.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I give lectures regularly.
But no one has ever requested one.
But I have had requests to stop.