• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Been Insulted by Religious People in Front of Everyone's Eyes?

rrobs

if you can talk about it... what did hurt you? Can you explain? Was that a pastor taking a wrong decision? Or a friend who did a mistake?
I would be very intigued to know.
Very kind of you to be interested in helping others. I know another guy who does the same thing. His name is Jesus! :)

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
When I debated in a Christian forum, I became aware of the fact that some people were insulted, but nobody seemed to have problems with this - the moderators included.

I think it's a difference between getting insulted by one person and nobody sees or hears anything... and the insult/ offence happening in front of the whole group. The role of the group is key, I think.
When they condone the insult, it's the group's fault I think.

Did anything of this sort happen to you?

Hello. I was banned once from a Christian forum for saying that I respected all faiths although I believe very strongly in Christ. That was a very distressing experience.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Hello. I was banned once from a Christian forum for saying that I respected all faiths although I believe very strongly in Christ. That was a very distressing experience.
That sounds terrible...what kinda bigotry mustve been on that forum. I wouldve been left the forum.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Very seldom. In well-run forums moderation will step in to stop insults of people. However that is not to be confused with ridicule of ideas, including religious ideas. Some people claim to have been insulted when it is their beliefs that have been attacked. That is not insulting them and if they can't see the distinction that is their problem.
I see what you're saying, but for religious people, their belief are very much a part of what makes them who they are. When you say, "[Fill in the blank with any religious group] are so gullible" or "so self-righteous" or "so controlling" or whatever, everyone in that group feels insulted, even though they may not have the trait that is being criticized at all.

There is definitely a way to express disapproval of certain beliefs or practices without being offensive, but most people don't want to bother to make the effort.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I see what you're saying, but for religious people, their belief are very much a part of what makes them who they are. When you say, "[Fill in the blank with any religious group] are so gullible" or "so self-righteous" or "so controlling" or whatever, everyone in that group feels insulted, even though they may not have the trait that is being criticized at all.

There is definitely a way to express disapproval of certain beliefs or practices without being offensive, but most people don't want to bother to make the effort.
Yes I agree the style of criticism of ideas can make a difference to whether or not someone may feel insulted.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Christians are great people but they allow their ministers who are only people too to dominate how they think. I remember I had some people come to my door. I welcomed them and suggested we pray together for humanity. Their reply was that they were forbidden to mix with other religionists for fear of catching a spiritual disease.

So basically Christians in my area won’t pray with me or befriend me. Christ taught to love even our enemies so it was very disappointing to see this happening.

Whatever hat we wear, we are all still God’s children I believe and should not treat each other like strangers.