• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Been Insulted by Religious People in Front of Everyone's Eyes?

rrobs

I won't be starting such a thread.
But for one to survive, I have advice.
- Avoid hostility.
- Make it clear that you're offering a personal opinion...not stating a fact.

You might be amazed at what you can
get away with if you're careful & civil.
Good advice. Thanks!

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If the poster insults their religion, I think that is fair.
When someone "insults a religion" making a claim trouble usually starts
But its good to realize that such a claim is "stupid" in itself
So, it says all about the insulter, not much about Religion

Houses have no feelings, nor have Religions, so you can't insult those. It's like shouting at a stone "you stupid stone", kind of stupid in itself I think. When you hit your head against a stone, and lose your mind, then you might shout "stupid stone"

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Who said anything about "Love to insult"?

I just respond in kind to what, in my opinion, is religious nonsense; if that insults you then I'm sorry but so be it.
I replied to @thomas t , so it was not meant for you what I wrote, otherwise I would have written it immediately after your quote

I wrote the lines after Thomas's quote (so for Thomas), even in BOLD to make sure it was clearly for Thomas. And I thought I made it even more clear by saying "those who love to insult...". Which clearly excludes you, because you are not such a person, as far as I know you (from virtual life). BUT I needed to quote your line, to give the proper context to what Thomas replied to. I hope this clarifies it.

So, to be clear, you did not insult me at all. You never have. And sorry that I was not clear enough in my reply.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Perhaps it's you that is unable to hold a decent conversation with people who reject what you base your life on. There is no reason why an intelligent, mature person cannot hold a discussion with someone who disagrees. I suspect that you cannot contain your emotions.

But how can I respect your religion when I reject faith as a path to truth, and your religion can only be believed by faith? Are you asking me to feign respect for ideas I reject?

And if you can't read such comments without becoming triggered, that's on you. I have no interest in tap dancing to protect your delicate sensibilities.

Look at how you just trashed atheists while explaining how horrible we are. Did you get an emotional response from me or anybody else? No, but I wouldn't expect the same from you. I wouldn't expect an even, measured response. I would expect you to tell atheists how horrible and unreasonable we are.

Here's Pat Condell' stake on the subject:

"Theists seem to demand respect for their beliefs even from atheists, but seldom offer it in return.

"If you criticize religion, every so often someone will say to you quite disapprovingly "You may not have faith in God, but you could show a bit more respect for those people who do." So yes, maybe I could show a bit more respect. The only fly in the ointment is I don't actually feel any respect. I have tried, I really have, and I feel just terrible about it, but it just isn't there.

"My conscience knows that there's no earthly reason for anybody on this planet to respect religion in any way. Indeed, purely on the evidence religion itself provides in such regular abundance, there's every reason to actively disrespect it to the point of outright abuse. And quite frankly, the fact that religion gets so little abuse compared to what it really deserves, I can only attribute to the unbelievable tolerance, restraint, and plain good manners of atheists and secularists everywhere.
"​

This is how we answer you. If you don't like it, don't publish your religious views in mixed forums like this. I promise that if you never post about your faith again or how much you dislike atheists, you'll never see another word about it from me. When you post like you did above, you make it too tempting not to tell you what I think about it. But I'll do it like this, not like you did. You don't want to know what I think of theistic atheophobes.

As in this thread. You just saw the personal attacks from the theist again. Whereas we tend to talk about ideas (Christianity) more than persons (Christians), you'll notice that none of the criticisms in the quoted section above were about atheism, just about how horrible and arrogant we atheists are, and how we thrive on insulting him and his ilk.

You responded just like a religious, dogmatic adherent who would think he has to safeguard his tribe no matter what.

Good going. Have a blast.

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
Well, I'd take you up on that wager. Go ahead and start a new thread that has the merest hint of
criticizing homosexuality, hinting that it is against the scriptures. If it doesn't get taken down within three hours, you win.

BTW, I accept PayPal. :)

Take care.
from my experience, posts that are anti-homosexuality did survive on RF, look at this one
It is clear that the Bible condemns homosexuality without using the equivalent for the modern term "homosexuality".

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
When I debated in a Christian forum, I became aware of the fact that some people were insulted, but nobody seemed to have problems with this - the moderators included.

I think it's a difference between getting insulted by one person and nobody sees or hears anything... and the insult/ offence happening in front of the whole group. The role of the group is key, I think.
When they condone the insult, it's the group's fault I think.

Did anything of this sort happen to you?
Come to think of it, my path was twice attacked with quite nasty remarks from an atheist and once slighted by a religious person.
In all three cases there was no moderation and that didn't feel very nice.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Tho I never have been attacked in front of a group offline, back when I was one of those fundamental Christians that even christians hate I do remember attacking a science teacher's atheism in front of a group...I sorely regret that. Especially since now that I am a pagan I have gotten hate for being a pagan. I expect in the future to get some hate online in the future due to my views regarding Lucifer and maybe walking a left handed path mostly from abrahamics(it's already happened once that I was attacked in front of a group and I just started walking this path for less then a month)but I expect that'll be from misunderstanding my beliefs and an unwillingness to try and understand more then anything else...i do wonder if I'll get hate from pagans for wanting to work with a being created by an abrahamic faith and embraced by satanism and Luciferianism.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You responded just like a religious, dogmatic adherent who would think he has to safeguard his tribe no matter what. Good going. Have a blast.

Actually, I gave you a reasoned answer, not a religious one. I was pretty sure that you'd choose this path. You ignored it all and came up with this instead. You attacked atheists, got a reasoned and responsive reply, and rather than addressing it, decided to attack me personally. Good going.

"I always flinch in embarrassment for the believer who trots out, 'Atheism is just another kind of faith,' because it's a tacit admission that taking claims on faith is a silly thing to do. When you've succumbed to arguing that the opposition is just as misguided as you are, it's time to take a step back and rethink your attitudes." - Amanda Marcotte

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
Actually, I gave you a reasoned answer, not a religious one. I was pretty sure that you'd choose this path. You ignored it all and came up with this instead. You attacked atheists, got a reasoned and responsive reply, and rather than addressing it, decided to attack me personally. Good going.

"I always flinch in embarrassment for the believer who trots out, 'Atheism is just another kind of faith,' because it's a tacit admission that taking claims on faith is a silly thing to do. When you've succumbed to arguing that the opposition is just as misguided as you are, it's time to take a step back and rethink your attitudes." - Amanda Marcotte

Oh. Extremely religious. There are many religious apologists who get touchy when their religious group or even a fraction of it is criticised, even in a specific context. Generally what they do is when someone has an opinion like that even about a small group, or even on a specific setting, from their group who they call "we", they tend to generalise and tell the other "you attacked my religion". You too.

There are many quotes on the internet. Here is a random one maybe you would like.

“You can no longer see or identify yourself solely as a member of a tribe, but as a citizen of a nation of one people working toward a common purpose.” “People who think with their epidermis or their genitalia or their clan are the problem to begin with. One does not banish this specter by invoking it.

I dont know who said it.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
When I debated in a Christian forum, I became aware of the fact that some people were insulted, but nobody seemed to have problems with this - the moderators included.

I think it's a difference between getting insulted by one person and nobody sees or hears anything... and the insult/ offence happening in front of the whole group. The role of the group is key, I think.
When they condone the insult, it's the group's fault I think.

Did anything of this sort happen to you?

Not to me, but I have seen these things happen in debates, in which people are being insulted in front of an audience. A good example is the David Wood and Mohammed Hijab debate where Muhammed Hijab insulted David Wood all the time (ironically proving himself to be an idiot as well). The big problem with this one is that the Muslims were cheering Hijab with obvious bias and obviously because David Wood provokes their ideas as well on his channel. But they pretty much had a mob mentality. Sye Ten, a Christian apologist, also tends to be aggressive and insulting.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Tho I never have been attacked in front of a group offline, back when I was one of those fundamental Christians that even christians hate I do remember attacking a science teacher's atheism in front of a group...I sorely regret that. Especially since now that I am a pagan I have gotten hate for it. I expect in the future to get some hate online in the future due to my views regarding Lucifer and maybe walking a left handed path mostly from abrahamics(it's already happened once that I was attacked in front of a group and I just started walking this path for less then a month)but I expect that'll be from misunderstanding my beliefs and an unwillingness to try and understand more then anything else...i do wonder if I'll get hate from pagans for wanting to work with a being created by an abrahamic faith and embraced by satanism and Luciferianism.

I provoked anger from a Pagan author for my identifying as Druid. I was pretty surprised at that... She said it was too male focused, and chided me to find a Goddess based tradition. When I pointed out that many Druid revere the idea of Goddess, she still said it wasn't good enough, as its history was too male-centered. :rolleyes:

Oh, the poo she'd fling at me now...

VoidCat

I provoked anger from a Pagan author for my identifying as Druid. I was pretty surprised at that... She said it was too male focused, and chided me to find a Goddess based tradition. When I pointed out that many Druid revere the idea of Goddess, she still said it wasn't good enough, as its history was too male-centered. :rolleyes:

Oh, the poo she'd fling at me now...
Ridiculous

A Vestigial Mote

When I saw the thread title, I thought of something in real life.

I've noticed that whenever some pastor/minister/priest/etc. is invited to give an invocation or speech for a public event, there's a good chance that what he says will have some material that's pretty denigrating toward non-religious people or non-theists.

It's not always; maybe a third of the time? And I'd bet good money that, usually, the pastor doesn't realize how insulting they're being.
I was in a sermon once where the chosen speaker for the day (a pastor-in-training, I suppose) was referring to ideas like secular humanism (without necessarily realizing it) thusly: "There are even people who believe you can have a systems of morality without relying on God!" And he said it with such incredulity - as if the people who could possibly believe that are just crazy - and all the believers in the place were shaking their heads and muttering like it was all just the craziest thing they'd ever heard. Never mind that the particular people who are concerned about morality at all are likely just as morally focused (if not more so) as they are themselves. He obviously truly believed that it was the case that you couldn't have morality without God. When I speak ill of Christianity, I never state that it is impossible that Christians could have any morals. It would be preposterous for me to claim that! Just as preposterous as what this pastor was doing - but he didn't even realize it. Too wrapped up in his own view of things.

More often than not, it is this sort of "insult to intelligence" that gets me riled up. When one is propagating falsehoods and fostering the ignorance of others. That's when you'll see me take note.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Oh when I first left Christianity I was very hateful towards Christianity sad to say. Too much past trauma. I was hurt so I lashed out. I don't think I attacked anyone in front of a group tho...I noticed the behavior and corrected it as soon as I could...I did say some hateful things about the abrahamic God I wish I could take back...Probably should apologize to Him. But I still feel we are at uneasy terms at the moment.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh when I first left Christianity I was very hateful towards Christianity sad to say. Too much past trauma. I was hurt so I lashed out. I don't think I attacked anyone in front of a group tho...I noticed the behavior and corrected it as soon as I could...I did say some hateful things about the abrahamic God I wish I could take back...Probably should apologize to Him. But I still feel we are at uneasy terms at the moment.

I find a lot of people have some anger towards Christianity when they leave it. I think for some, it did damage. I myself had that, but I was eventually able to separate that my poor experience came from my dad's negativity with religion, and not the Christian religion itself, and I was able to heal those wounds.

VoidCat

I find a lot of people have some anger towards Christianity when they leave it. I think for some, it did damage. I myself had that, but I was eventually able to separate that my poor experience came from my dad's negativity with religion, and not the Christian religion itself, and I was able to heal those wounds.
I think the Christian God understands why I haven't apologized. He knows I know at least that I know it's not His fault some of His people are buttholes and I think He's probably used to people at this point hating Him based on what others have taught regarding Him. Used to people leaving cuz of trauma. He also knows for me going back to Him at least at this time would lead to too much shame and guilt.

Edit: I wonder if some Luciferians and Theistic Satanists will want to argue with me in the future cuz while I embrace neither path I do plan on working with Lucifer and I have no quarrel with the Christian God? I don't think they would hate on me just maybe argue...

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I don't think it's just Christianity, but almost any faith. Have a look at any ex-________ forum. Fortunately, the anger seems to wear off over time. As they say, time heals all wounds.

VoidCat

if you can talk about it... what did hurt you? Can you explain? Was that a pastor taking a wrong decision? Or a friend who did a mistake?
I would be very intigued to know.
I could get into a long convo about this.i grew up in messed up version of Christianity a kind that was so messed up...so much was wrong with it and it almost killed me. I even tried to end my life it was so bad.