• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Been Insulted by Religious People in Front of Everyone's Eyes?

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
When I debated in a Christian forum, I became aware of the fact that some people were insulted, but nobody seemed to have problems with this - the moderators included.

I think it's a difference between getting insulted by one person and nobody sees or hears anything... and the insult/ offence happening in front of the whole group. The role of the group is key, I think.
When they condone the insult, it's the group's fault I think.

Did anything of this sort happen to you?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When I debated in a Christian forum, I became aware of the fact that some people were insulted, but nobody seemed to have problems with this - the moderators included.

I think it's a difference between getting insulted by one person and nobody sees or hears anything... and the insult/ offence happening in front of the whole group. The role of the group is key, I think.

I have broad shoulders, what I have found is that I mostly attract the insults, sometimes it is a tactical assault on one's own stance.

So I take it and leave it now and try to do better myself.

Regards Tony

exchemist

Veteran Member

Very seldom. In well-run forums moderation will step in to stop insults of people. However that is not to be confused with ridicule of ideas, including religious ideas. Some people claim to have been insulted when it is their beliefs that have been attacked. That is not insulting them and if they can't see the distinction that is their problem.

Last edited:

thomas t

Very seldom. In well-run forums moderation will step in stop insults of people. However that is not to be confused with ridicule of ideas, including religious ideas. Some people claim to have been insulted when it is their beliefs that have been attacked. That is not insulting them and if they can't see the distinction that is their problem.
ah yes, that's the other side. People cry foul only if their ideas get challenged.
I believe that in 90 % of all cases people call something insult and it's just a normal interaction on the subject level.
Thank you for pointing that out.

PureX

Veteran Member
"Insults" are relative. Just because someone intends to insult or offend you doesn't mean you've actually been insulted or offended. And the same is true of the witnesses. Most insults are impotent, and only reflect the foolishness of the intent; and can otherwise be ignored. The witnesses can know this as well as the "target".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I do have felt insulted a few times during discussion, But looking back at it now, it had more to do with my own stupidity than it was an actual insult meant to hurt.
Some people just ask the right questions that feels like a knife if you know they hit that area where knowledge is lacking within you.

thomas t

I have broad shoulders, what I have found is that I mostly attract the insults, sometimes it is a tactical assault on one's own stance.

So I take it and leave it now and try to do better myself.

Regards Tony
thank you for sharing your thoughts.
The Bible teaches that (real) insults must be taken seriously, if the offender was not getting under attack themselves. This is at least my interpretation of Matthew 7:1.
Many Christians try to find a way around this precept, saying they "observe" something to be true. According to them the name calling is merely "discernment", and speaking what they call truth must not be wrong according to them.

By offending someone, they establish a hierarchy as I see it. Or it's the attempt to do so.
Abraham took some precautions just to avoid a potiential scenario in which someone could have established a hierarchy between Abraham and himself. This is at least my interpretation of Genesis 14:23.
And a true insult is even worse than that, I presume.

Altfish

Veteran Member

It does depend what or how you define 'Insult' but if the poster insults the person, they should be reprimanded.

If the poster insults their religion, I think that is fair.

thomas t

hahaha.
But that's not fair if it comes down to disparaging views about the religion itself, I think. You can say Christianity is wrong. You can say you disagree. You can draw a picture of the pope making fun of him....

However, when you say "being Christian is silly" you're attacking a personality trait of believers, in my opinion.

It's like saying "Homosexuality is sin, but I do not say anything against them as a person". Sexual orientation is also a personality trait, as I see it.

Or, it's like saying "being black is like being a pig. But I'm no racist".
You can't have it both ways...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I don’t give people the power to insult me.

As I see it, when one gives another the power to insult them, one has made another their master.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

As I see it, when one gives another the power to insult them, one has made another their master.
How about when in a discussion someone tries their best to insult and as the reciever you sit there thinking.
Really???? Come on DUDE :confused: If you wanna be my master you have to try better than that patheitc insult of yours :eek::D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It does depend what or how you define 'Insult' but if the poster insults the person, they should be reprimanded.

There is also the distinction between insulting a religion and insulting a religious group. While the former may be “fair,” the latter is not.

Personally, I find nothing productive coming from either.

Altfish

Veteran Member
hahaha.
But that's not fair if it comes down to disparaging views about the religion itself, I think. You can say Christianity is wrong. You can say you disagree. You can draw a picture of the pope making fun of him....

However, when you say "being Christian is silly" you're attacking a personality trait of believers, in my opinion.

It's like saying "Homosexuality is sin, but I do not say anything against them as a person". Sexual orientation is also a personality trait, as I see it.

Or, it's like saying "being black is like being a pig. But I'm no racist".
You can't have it both ways...
Religion is like your politics, you musical taste, your dress sense, you choose to believe you are right.

The person has no choice be they white, black homosexual, trans,

That is the difference; e.g. if you are a Catholic, I believe it is fair game for me to say, "Your belief that when taking communion you are actually drinking the blood and eating the body of Jesus" is dumb.
Just as you could say, "Trump is a horrible man" to a GOP supporter.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Wise words but it takes some work to be in a position where nobody can insult you. You have to know yourself and must be confident with yourself.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Usually I'm the one who is accused of being insulting.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
By religious people, on a couple of occasions my sex has been disparaged, "you are a woman, you know nothing". Those tend be fly by nighters and disappear within a few days or weeks.

There are one or two long time members who try to push the boundaries between civil and insult, they get back what they give and soon look elsewhere for their jollies.

And one particularly irksome guy, religious affiliation unknown but assumed christian, a nemesis from an old forum who pops in every few month's and hurls insults until i put him on ignore. Some time later he will re-appear with a different username.

And... we have had a few Muslim short term visitors who will not even acknowledge a woman, i find this insulting.

By non religious, only one who is a long time member, sees himself as well read and is rather condescending of woman, he delighted in trying to put me down, he now resides in my exclusive ignore club as a permanent resident.

But for 99.99% of the time, even during heated discussion RF tends to be civil

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It's not just with religion. Economics & politics are rife
with insults being tolerated by the offender's group, which
includes moderators when they lack sufficient diversity.

Of course, I'm not saying this happens on RF.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

It depends. For instance, I find "if you do not believe, you will roast in Hell for all eternity", without providing any hard logic and evidence, more insulting, then "you are a Schlampe". The former is a direct attack to my intelligence, the latter is just the final proof that my contender has lost.

Ciao

- viole

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Very seldom. In well-run forums moderation will step in stop insults of people. However that is not to be confused with ridicule of ideas, including religious ideas. Some people claim to have been insulted when it is their beliefs that have been attacked. That is not insulting them and if they can't see the distinction that is their problem.
There is room for mischief in that standard.
It's reasonable to call an argument "erroneous" or "fallacious".
Those are traits about ideas, & aren't associated with a person.
But I've seen a manner of insulting the person under the guise
of criticizing ideas, ie, the indirect insult.
Example....
Call an idea "ignorant", "juvenile", "whiney", or "hateful".
Those are insults about a person's state of mind, but applied to
the idea. It's been argued that insulting ideas is within the rules.
But are they in the spirit of the rules? No.
I observe that the effect on the person targeted is the same as
direct insults, ie, they take offense, & discussion degrades.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Perhaps if people could be civil, considerate, moral, and ethical, there would be no need for moderation, and moderators wouldn’t be necessary on a forum.

Of course, I’m not saying some people aren’t on RF.