• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have any intermediary life forms, particular in the way of apes, developed writing?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"Have any intermediary life forms, particular in the way of apes, developed writing?"
Just for information, please.
Regards

[96:4]اِقۡرَاۡ وَ رَبُّکَ الۡاَکۡرَمُ ۙ﴿۴﴾
Convey! And thy Lord is Most Generous,
[96:5]الَّذِیۡ عَلَّمَ بِالۡقَلَمِ ۙ﴿۵﴾
Who taught man by the pen,
[96:6]عَلَّمَ الۡاِنۡسَانَ مَا لَمۡ یَعۡلَمۡ ؕ﴿۶﴾
Taught man what he knew not.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 96: Al-`Alaq

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Most probably not but cave paintings were sometimes accompanied by symbols and some caves were frequented by H. Sapiens as well as H. Neanderthalensis. Afaik, it is not known whether Neanderthals did paint the symbols, what meaning (if any) the symbols had and it can be argued that those symbols aren't really "writing".

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Have any intermediary life forms, particular in the way of apes, developed writing?

So the human beings should thank G-d that He did a special favor to them to endow them with the power of pen/writing to communicate with one another and to conserve human knowledge that helped among others to develop Science?:

Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So the human beings should thank G-d that he did a special favor to them that he endowed them with the power of pen/writing to communicate with one another and to conserve knowledge that helped among others to develop Science?:

Writing is not language. There have been, and are hundreds, if not thousands of human languages that have no form of writing that work perfectly fine. Writing is only a graphical/pictorial representation of writing, and an extremely poor one at that. In fact, Prof. Joseph F. Foster, Ph.D. of the University of Cincinnati called it "a parasite on language". You'd be better off looking into how spoken language developed, and thank that FOXP2 gene for it.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

So the human beings should thank G-d that he did a special favor to them that he endowed them with the power of pen/writing to communicate with one another and to conserve knowledge that helped among others to develop Science?:

Nope. Humans came up with it all on their own.
Multiple times, actually, independently from one another over differen timespans.

Right, please?

Regards
Why should I care what your Quran says any more then what the Bible says or the Bagavad Ghita or Dianetics?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Nope. Humans came up with it all on their own.
Multiple times, actually, independently from one another over differen timespans.

Why should I care what your Quran says any more then what the Bible says or the Bagavad Ghita or Dianetics?
I didn't say that one should not care about them. Did I, please?
But Atheism doesn't have to say anything about it. Right, please?
They just hide behind Science while Science does not support Atheism. Does it, please?

Regards

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
"Have any intermediary life forms, particular in the way of apes, developed writing?"
Regards

I suspect that language, speech, grammar, teaching tool making, and social interaction are all fundamental functions that have to be there before writing becomes a thing. Writing is an extension of language and speech. The need for it stems for transfer of knowledge in a social setting. So, no, I don't think any other animal has developed writing.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

So the human beings should thank G-d that He did a special favor to them to endow them with the power of pen/writing to communicate with one another and to conserve human knowledge that helped among others to develop Science?:

Right, please?

Regards

But the animals are happier and more virtuous than us.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

I didn't ask why I should NOT care about them.
I asked why I SHOULD care about them.

You included quotes from this book, so logically you think it was relevant and therefor must think that I should care.

So why should I care?
If I shouldn't care, then your quotes were irrelevant and then the question becomes "why include those quotes, if they don't matter anyway?"

Atheism doesn't say anything about anything.

They just hide behind Science while Science does not support Atheism. Does it, please?

Atheism isn't science and science isn't atheism.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Regards

Depends what you mean by writing.

Bees will move in patterns tracing directional information to the location of a particularly useful plant bed with good pollen.

Is this a form of writing or must the animal in question have sn opposable thumb and be able to grasp pen or pencil?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Regards

What paranoid nonsense

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I suspect that language, speech, grammar, teaching tool making, and social interaction are all fundamental functions that have to be there before writing becomes a thing. Writing is an extension of language and speech. The need for it stems for transfer of knowledge in a social setting. So, no, I don't think any other animal has developed writing.
I agree with one here.
Also it should be kept in mind we should praise and thank G-d that before the power of pen/writing He endowed us out of His special mercy the power of immaculate expression unique among the Human being.
And there is no other claimant with positive reasons to this effect. Right, please?

Regards
He has taught him plain speech.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 55: Ar-Rahman

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Depends what you mean by writing.

Bees will move in patterns tracing directional information to the location of a particularly useful plant bed with good pollen.

Is this a form of writing or must the animal in question have sn opposable thumb and be able to grasp pen or pencil?
Please feel free to say clearly if one thinks that Bees know writing and these store new knowledge in the form of books for their posterity.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I didn't ask why I should NOT care about them.
I asked why I SHOULD care about them.
You included quotes from this book, so logically you think it was relevant and therefor must think that I should care.
So why should I care?
If I shouldn't care, then your quotes were irrelevant and then the question becomes "why include those quotes, if they don't matter anyway?"
Atheism doesn't say anything about anything.
Atheism isn't science and science isn't atheism.

My that reasonable attitude is for every Revealed Religion (Judaism, Buddhism,Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Christianity) which has mentioned these things. It is a common treasure of the humanity.
If one doesn't care, I don't mind.

Regards

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I agree with one here.
Also it should be kept in mind we should praise and thank G-d that before the power of pen/writing He endowed us out of His special mercy the power of immaculate expression unique among the Human being.
And there is no other claimant with positive reasons to this effect. Right, please?
Don't know why God would have to be able to talk, write, or communicate without someone like him/her/it to interact with. Language, as we know it from linguistics, has developed. We can trace it through history, artifacts, etc, so it's not a mystery that it's something that has evolved from the need of human interaction, and not given by any external source.