• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hats off in church

LilChrist

Is it wrong to wear a hat in church? Or is it just a belief? What's the difference between church and all day if it is? Should it be enforced? Just some questions I have.

Runt

Some pagans believe that is it inappropriate to wear ANY clothing when interacting with the divine... paganism is generally a nature-based religion and many pagans believe that worshippers should be as natural as possible while worshipping the gods. And when are you more in your "natural" state than when naked? Whether or not the removal of clothing is ENFORCED I don't know... but some groups expect it.

Lightkeeper

It's common for women to wear hats in church. I think baseball caps and or mens hats are inappropriate in church or inside any building. We have forgotten our manners. Much of today's clothing makes the statement that we don't care about protocol or manners.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Personally, it's all symbolic. Some people don't wear a hat as a gesture of respect. Others wear a hat as a gesture of respect. If I wear a ball cap as a gesture of DISrespect, that is because the culture of that particular church or group or gathering takes it that way. In different places in the world, the signs and symbols of respect differ. If you know them, you can choose to honor or dishonor them. If you don't know them, then any dishonor or disrespect is accidental.

LilChrist

It's supposed to be a sign of respect, I know. But that was something made up my man, right? And didn't Jesus wear a head-covering--talliyth, I think--when he taught in synagouges? And if it's enforced, then I'm taking my hat off for man, not God, aren't I? Also, churches should be as close to the kingdom of Heaven as they can, correct? So, in the kindom of Heaven there is neither Jew nor Gentile, male nor female, etc. So, what's the difference between males and females wearing hats? As long as you aren't doing it to purposely offend anyone, is there anything wrong with it? I mean, as long as it doesn't ruin your relationship with God, everything's okie-dokie, right?

(Q)

If one is in a public place and the weather is somewhat inclement, a hat may be needed, although I can't recall the last time it rained indoors.

Is a person looked down upon because they aren't wearing the appropriate clothing or aren't showing manners and respect as is deemed by the good folks here, simply because they want to worship?

Pardon me while I fart.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
ammong native americans... it is rude to wear a hat during an honoring song, unless that hat has an eagle feather or other personal medicine attached to it...

wa-do

LilChrist

Is it wrong to wear a hat in church? Or is it just a belief? What's the difference between church and all day if it is? Should it be enforced? Just some questions I have.

Runt

Some pagans believe that is it inappropriate to wear ANY clothing when interacting with the divine... paganism is generally a nature-based religion and many pagans believe that worshippers should be as natural as possible while worshipping the gods. And when are you more in your "natural" state than when naked? Whether or not the removal of clothing is ENFORCED I don't know... but some groups expect it.

Lightkeeper

It's common for women to wear hats in church. I think baseball caps and or mens hats are inappropriate in church or inside any building. We have forgotten our manners. Much of today's clothing makes the statement that we don't care about protocol or manners.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Personally, it's all symbolic. Some people don't wear a hat as a gesture of respect. Others wear a hat as a gesture of respect. If I wear a ball cap as a gesture of DISrespect, that is because the culture of that particular church or group or gathering takes it that way. In different places in the world, the signs and symbols of respect differ. If you know them, you can choose to honor or dishonor them. If you don't know them, then any dishonor or disrespect is accidental.

LilChrist

It's supposed to be a sign of respect, I know. But that was something made up my man, right? And didn't Jesus wear a head-covering--talliyth, I think--when he taught in synagouges? And if it's enforced, then I'm taking my hat off for man, not God, aren't I? Also, churches should be as close to the kingdom of Heaven as they can, correct? So, in the kindom of Heaven there is neither Jew nor Gentile, male nor female, etc. So, what's the difference between males and females wearing hats? As long as you aren't doing it to purposely offend anyone, is there anything wrong with it? I mean, as long as it doesn't ruin your relationship with God, everything's okie-dokie, right?

(Q)

If one is in a public place and the weather is somewhat inclement, a hat may be needed, although I can't recall the last time it rained indoors.

Is a person looked down upon because they aren't wearing the appropriate clothing or aren't showing manners and respect as is deemed by the good folks here, simply because they want to worship?

Pardon me while I fart.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Is it wrong? No, I don't think so.

Is it impolite or rude? Possibly, depends on the situation and the hat.

I love my ball caps, but I don't wear them to the church service. To other church functions? Sure, why not.

Where I come from, it wasn't long ago, that some churches required women to wear hats to church. In fact, recently my grandmother stated that the pastor at her chuch expressed an interest in women returning to this tradtition every Sunday, not just on Easter.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
ammong native americans... it is rude to wear a hat during an honoring song, unless that hat has an eagle feather or other personal medicine attached to it...

wa-do

I would think that not wearing a cap inside a church is a sign of disrespect for that building. Now respect is a personal thing so you might choose to wear a hat without disrespect intended. The same thing goes with church clothes. You are expected to wear them to church to show your respect for Christ and your reverence of him. Again there is a difference between an outward show of respect and an inward respect for something. I would say that if you do respect the service and God's presence in it then you would take off your hat anyway.

Master Vigil

Respect is subjective and man made, therefore I do not believe it wrong to wear or not wear anything while in church or the woods or where ever you practice your spirituality. Something so small as taking your hat off in church or dressing up for church is rediculus in my opinion. You are not there to look nice, you are not there for anyone else but yourself.

true blood

I don't really go to a church but I do like to wear my hat. I suppose I would remove my hat if the church members' tradition was to take them off. However I would inform them all that this was only a tradition of men and ask them if I may wear my hat in the future. If they said no I probably wouldn't return. But I've never been in this situation before. If they said yes, I could wear my hat, I may even choose not to then wear it. It would be interesting I think.

Runt

Of course religion is about you! As a Christian how can you say otherwise? You follow God's law because if you do not you will go to hell. You let Jesus into your heart because you want to get to heaven and Christianity teaches that Jesus is the only way. Explain how fear of hell and the desire to go to heaven to be with God are NOT about you!