• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Hatred shows a lack of care for what is right. It is generally without just cause to hate.

But I am also sure that people can hate with justified cause.

So really there are two separate meanings for the word hate.

The bad kind is definetly against love. Or is rash and judges erroneously without regard.

I think with an truthful understanding that is more actual than erroneous hate can be avoided.

I think the bottom line is what is truthful and rightful. A person that is peaceful won't be led by unruly passions. They will act out of genuine understanding and won't be satisfied with less. Whereas a bad person don't know or don't care to get down to the truth of the matter. They are content with an ignorant understanding.

The temptation for some people is to go with what seems true vs. the actuality they can't grasp or they are blind to it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Does your religion teach the concept of hate? In what capacity and to what end?
It's not my religion, but Christianity certainly teaches the concept of hate.

Genesis 16:5
Then Sarai said to Abram, “My slave girl now hates me, and I blame you for this. I gave her to you, and she became pregnant. Then she began to feel that she is better than I am. I want the Lord to judge which of us is right.”

Genesis 27:41
[ Jacob Leaves the Country ] After that Esau hated Jacob because of this blessing. Esau said to himself, “My father will soon die, and after we are finished with that, I will kill Jacob.”

Genesis 34:30
But Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, “You have caused me a lot of trouble. All the people in this place will hate me. All the Canaanites and the Perizzites will turn against me. There are only a few of us. If the people in this place gather together to fight against us, I will be destroyed. And all our people will be destroyed with me.”

Genesis 37:4
When Joseph’s brothers saw that their father loved Joseph more than he loved them, they hated their brother because of this. They refused to say nice things to him.

Genesis 37:5
One time Joseph had a special dream. Later, he told his brothers about this dream, and after that his brothers hated him even more.

Genesis 37:8
His brothers said, “Do you think this means that you will be a king and rule over us?” His brothers hated Joseph more now because of the dreams he had about them.

Genesis 50:15
[ The Brothers Are Still Afraid of Joseph ] After Jacob died, Joseph’s brothers were worried. They were afraid that Joseph would still be mad at them for what they had done years before. They said, “Maybe Joseph still hates us for what we did.”

Exodus 5:21
So they said to Moses and Aaron, “May the Lord judge and punish you for what you did! You made Pharaoh and his rulers hate us. You have given them an excuse to kill us.”

Exodus 20:5
Don’t worship or serve idols of any kind, because I, the Lord, am your God. I hate my people worshiping other gods. People who sin against me become my enemies, and I will punish them. And I will punish their children, their grandchildren, and even their great-grandchildren.

Exodus 34:14
Don’t worship any other god. I am Yahweh Kanah—the jealous Lord. That is my name. I hate for my people to worship other gods.

Leviticus 19:17
“Don’t secretly hate any of your neighbors. But tell them openly what they have done wrong so that you will not be just as guilty of sin as they are.

Leviticus 20:23
I am forcing other people to leave that country because they committed all those sins. I hate those sins! So don’t live the way those people lived.

Leviticus 26:17
I will be against you, so your enemies will defeat you. These enemies will hate you and rule over you. You will run away even when no one is chasing you.

Leviticus 26:43
“The land will be empty. The land will enjoy its time of rest. Then the survivors will accept the punishment for their sins. They will learn that they were punished because they hated my laws and refused to obey my rules.

Numbers 21:5
They began complaining against God and Moses. The people said, “Why did you bring us out of Egypt? We will die here in the desert! There is no bread and no water! And we hate this terrible food!”

Numbers 35:20-21
“You might hit someone with your hand or push someone or throw something at them and kill them. If you did that from hate, you are a murderer, and you must be killed. A member of the dead person’s family can chase you and kill you.

Numbers 35:23
Perhaps you threw a rock that was large enough to kill, but it hit someone you didn’t see and killed them. You didn’t plan to kill anyone. You didn’t hate the person you killed—it was only an accident.

Deuteronomy 1:27
You went to your tents and began to complain. You said, ‘The Lord hates us! He brought us out of the land of Egypt just to let the Amorites destroy us.

Deuteronomy 4:24
because the Lord your God hates for his people to worship other gods. And he can be like a fire that destroys!

Deuteronomy 4:42
Any person who killed someone by accident and not out of hate could run away to one of these three cities and not be put to death.

Deuteronomy 5:9
Don’t worship or serve idols of any kind, because I am the Lord your God. I hate for my people to worship other gods. People who sin against me become my enemies. And I will punish them, and their children, their grandchildren, and even their great-grandchildren.

Deuteronomy 6:15
The Lord your God is always with you, and he hates for his people to worship other gods! So if you follow those other gods, the Lord will become very angry with you. He will destroy you from the face of the earth.

Deuteronomy 7:10
but the Lord punishes people who hate him. He will destroy them. He will not be slow to punish those who hate him.

Deuteronomy 7:25
“You must throw the statues of their gods into the fire and burn them. You must not want to keep the silver or the gold that is on those statues for yourselves. It will be like a trap to you—it will ruin your life. The Lord your God hates those idols.

Deuteronomy 9:28
If you punish your people, the Egyptians might say, “The Lord was not able to take his people into the land he promised them. And he hated them. So he took them into the desert to kill them.”​

Do you hate?
Yes I do.

Do you see any practical use for hatred?
Of course I do. It helps to identify and keep in mind those things that don't deserve my respect and acceptance, which helps to focus on things that might deserve censure or elimination.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I respectfully disagree. Failure to recognize personal boundaries is a hallmark of narcissistic personality disorder, so that is not the isolating (pardon the pun) cause. NPD is more of an id disorder than an ego disorder. Fear is often unconscious, and therefore, by definition, outside of the realm of ego. (Ego being the conscious mind.)
To me this is a "not everything that looks like gold is fool's gold". That NPD exists does not mean that everyone who sees others as one must have NPD.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Do you hate?

I have been on the recieving end of religious hated on several occasions.

First time it continued for over 2 years before i mastered the courage and confidence to put a stop to it. Gave our vicar and his close circle of friends a piece of my mind and proudly walked out of the church for ever.

I needed to know why my church congregation systematically mentally molested a child (i was 12 years old when it started, 14 when i left).

The confidence came with learning to read, (i dyslexic, and the brunt of church hatred for it).

In an attempt to understand why i should be treated so i read the bible, it was the second book i ever read, not knowing differently i read it as a book, from cover to cover, without the cherry picking that sanitises the **** and its all there in the OT, why you should hate difference, hate those who are not like you, those you consider are sinners, even those you want to steal from.

Yes Christianity teaches hatred, as to your other questions, i have no idea and no wish to know.

But i will say that the hatred given me by Christianity instilled my own hatred of Christianity in return that took many years to cool down. But even now i can get heated about some of the hurtful things Christians consider normal behaviour

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I subscribe to Popular Science, Smithsonian, & National Geographic.

Hate is a human feature. Religions might be able to lessen or inflame it.
But beware the ones who deny it. To deny hatred...to claim being above
it is to ignore it, which allows it to fester & grow.
Yes indeed, hate is part of being human. And like the appendix, also pretty useless. And I think that's the key -- know it for what it is, useless, and you can then simply refuse to play.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Do you hate?

No hate, but when I was a Raelian life was an experiment for humans to decide which emotions were better. Hate could be positive and negative. People were working it out because we were better than our creators, so they didn't know how to set us up and we would set ourselves up ourselves.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have been on the recieving end of religious hated on several occasions.

First time it continued for over 2 years before i mastered the courage and confidence to put a stop to it. Gave our vicar and his close circle of friends a piece of my mind and proudly walked out of the church for ever.

I needed to know why my church congregation systematically mentally molested a child (i was 12 years old when it started, 14 when i left).

The confidence came with learning to read, (i dyslexic, and the brunt of church hatred for it).

In an attempt to understand why i should be treated so i read the bible, it was the second book i ever read, not knowing differently i read it as a book, from cover to cover, without the cherry picking that sanitises the **** and its all there in the OT, why you should hate difference, hate those who are not like you, those you consider are sinners, even those you want to steal from.

Yes Christianity teaches hatred, as to your other questions, i have no idea and no wish to know.

But i will say that the hatred given me by Christianity instilled my own hatred of Christianity in return that took many years to cool down. But even now i can get heated about some of the hurtful things Christians consider normal behaviour

I said this to a person who thinks similar and expressed similar in a poem (yet most people couldn't see her theme):

Your poem broke my heart.
Such despair of the higher ascended roads,
So what if heaven's judgment is harsh?

I still know you can pick up the skyward sword,
That is a phoenix that drinks from heaven's springs,
You don't need anyone's word,
To know without these you would have longed burned your wings,

Of fear and hope,
Fear protecting what you hold dear,
While hope seeking what is near.
So hold on to that rope.

And shut the chaotic whispers of irrational doubt,
Shut it out, once and for all,
And see with certainty,
In the innermost center of love
That values things as they are.
And knows their eternal given worth,
You will make new friends,
As you forge forth.

Remember who you are.
And be true,
That's all that heaven asks of you.

Here is the original thread: Dear Losty.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member

Do you hate?

Hate is a negative reflection against something; love a positive.

Understanding can change the way we reflect; like when we give up smoking, and then hate smokers. :confused:

In my opinion. :innocent:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I pretty much worked it out so I don't hate anymore but I also have issue's with love. Hatred was destructive in my parents life and my early life. I found I didn't want to live that way so I learned to diffuse problems. No problems ever get so bad that I hate. I still dislike people and things and I still like people and things. I can say that for many years now I haven't hated anything and doubt I ever will again.

I would say people that say they have only love and no hatred you need to beware. But a person that doesn't love does not need to hate.
I still hate.
But I now choose whom & when.
I don't waste it on politicians.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I said this to a person who thinks similar and expressed similar in a poem (yet most people couldn't see her theme):

Your poem broke my heart.
Such despair of the higher ascended roads,
So what if heaven's judgment is harsh?

I still know you can pick up the skyward sword,
That is a phoenix that drinks from heaven's springs,
You don't need anyone's word,
To know without these you would have longed burned your wings,

Of fear and hope,
Fear protecting what you hold dear,
While hope seeking what is near.
So hold on to that rope.

And shut the chaotic whispers of irrational doubt,
Shut it out, once and for all,
And see with certainty,
In the innermost center of love
That values things as they are.
And knows their eternal given worth,
You will make new friends,
As you forge forth.

Remember who you are.
And be true,
That's all that heaven asks of you.

Here is the original thread: Dear Losty.

Nice but pretty much irrelevant, one doesn't shut out hatred and violence, that is the path to inner turmoil and mental illness, one must face it and accept what it is.

If the dream heaven is the key to growing such hatred then heaven believers are welcome to it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Does your religion teach the concept of hate?

No.

Do you hate?

I’m ashamed to admit that at times I do feel hatred. It’s almost always triggered by something someone or a group has done. I tend to confuse or conflate the action and the actor. Though in something like 9/11 I can’t separate the perpetrators from the actions. However, I didn’t give in to the blind hatred of an entire ethnicity or religion.

Believe it or not, yes. If the hatred is for an injustice and it spurs action to correct the injustice. Maybe that’s not hatred, however, and “righteous anger”.

Does your religion teach the concept of hate?

For me it is not religion that teaches. To me, Jesus is the teacher and he says:

love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Mat. 5:44-45

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Believe it or not, yes. If the hatred is for an injustice and it spurs action to correct the injustice. Maybe that’s not hatred, however, and “righteous anger”.
No, it is not hate. In the Baha'i Faith we call that righteous indignation and it is appropriate when warranted....
I have plenty of it myself because justice is hugely important to me. :oops:

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No, it is not hate. In the Baha'i Faith we call that righteous indignation and it is appropriate when warranted....
I have plenty of it myself because justices is hugely important to me. :oops:

Sounds like a euphemism to me. It appears to have the same meaning, but Baha'i just added four syllables to make it sound like it's nicer.

Tell me, what's the difference between hate and "righteous indignation?"

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
How very true. Too bad many people are not aware of that.
I think people can be aware if they choose to. It is always good to try

If the hatred is for an injustice and it spurs action to correct the injustice. Maybe that’s not hatred, however, and “righteous anger”.

I want to say I believe that hate and anger are two separate concepts to me. Hatred is an emotion which draws energy in the form of negative feelings. It really serves no purpose. It blocks one from clear thinking and positive action.

Anger is very different imo. Anger can lead one to take action. Injustices, purposeful ignorance, thoughtlessness, destroying our ecosystems all make me angy. It leads me to think about why I feel angy and what positive action can I take to get the problem where I want it to go. Anger creates the initial inertia and then through thoughtful pondering of the situation I can clearly come up with a viable plan. The anger can be let go of if I take action to at least try to stop or change it. Anger has a purpose. It comes and goes and I don't hang on to it.

Hate is completely different I believe. It is never let go of, it only creates hurt for yourself and others and it eats at one continually with no way out. It has no positive attributes as I see it. One cannot be peaceful when they are consumed by hate. And when one is not peaceful, quality thinking is not possible.