• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sounds like a euphemism to me. It appears to have the same meaning, but Baha'i just added four syllables to make it sound like it's nicer.

Tell me, what's the difference between hate and "righteous indignation?"
Hate is directed at a person or persons whereas righteous indignation is directed at wrongdoing that goes against one's principles.

Bird123

Does your religion teach the concept of hate? In what capacity and to what end?

Do you hate?

Do you see any practical use for hatred?

Hate is a Big One. I'm afraid it will take some people many lessons and many lifetimes before they discover that the price for hatred is always too high.

Hatred is not as simple as it might seem. The roots run in from many directions. Mankind has a controlling nature. People want the world to conform to their wishes or view. People want to control others. Maybe some of this is learned and passed down through parents.

So many believe that might makes right and attempt to change others through anger or pain. Some might think it is easier to change someone else if one carries a Big stick. Sad they can think of no other way. Perhaps they are just lazy.

Often people place feelings over reason. Some will choose hate and never listen to reason. They must discover all the sides before they will realize the truth.

This world is a multilevel classroom. There will always be those learning the lessons around hate. Even if they do not listen, point them in the right direction. There will come a time when your words will be discovered and heard.

Me? I never hate. If a person would do terrible things to me that would cause most people to hate, I would not hate. I would work at fixing them. I would work at solving the underlying problems. I would work at teaching them. At the very least, I would point them in the right direction.

Unconditional Love? Yes, that is what it's all about. Unconditional Love always does what is Best for the other. One will never be happy choosing hate regardless of what one might think they could gain. I will do my very best to lead them into the light.

That's what I am seeing. It seems pretty clear to me.

Oh yes, if someone is hating you, remember that is their choice. They are the ones who really have the problem. Never think there is something wrong with you. See it for what it really is. It's not you! Hmmm? Not what can I choose to do next to fix them and teach them? More might be resting in your hands than you realize. You will accomplish nothing if you simply return the hate.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hate can also be disguised or excused as 'righteous anger'. Not always easy to tell.

Yes, as we saw after 9/11. An incident can become a flashpoint for festering animosity to turn into full blown hate. I like to think anger can be assuaged and maybe even reasoned with. But even if hatred isn’t acted on, it’s not easy to dispel.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, as we saw after 9/11. An incident can become a flashpoint for festering animosity to turn into full blown hate. I like to think anger can be assuaged and maybe even reasoned with. But even if hatred isn’t acted on, it’s not easy to dispel.
Neither is acceptable to me personally, yet I understand how people get there. If you don't have a really thick skin, or the depth of insight to view things from a much deeper perspective, with things like reincarnation in mind, seeing us as all souls on a sojourn, sure, it's gotta be tough. Don't forget, some of my best friends survived the atrocities of a civil war. Hate happens, sadly.

I have a harder time with indoctrinated hate where the person really has no personal excuse.

amorphous_constellation

Hatred doesn't seem productive or very natural. Seems like something humans bring to the table of reality more than other beings, who live in a more mathematical concordance with natural reality. The mouse even does not hate the cat, as nature actually makes the mouse attracted to the cat via toxoplasmosis. The salmon ends up in the jaw of a grizzly bear, unthinkingly. it is not likely to ascribe vehemence to this door to its end. Gazelles perhaps know something like fear as a stimulus, but I doubt they can hate. Do plants hate? I think the primates start to become unnatural, and start to hate, as they seem to be the ones who start to contemplate. This ability is carried forward into modern times, and I am not sure how we can extricate it from our being