• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate watching movies

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, so this might be a bit weird but does anyone have a movie that they think is really bad but just watches it anyway? Like so bad it’s good?
Well I have a movie that I thought was awful but I found enjoyment not out of its awfulness but by the experiences I had watching it with certain people

That film is God’s not dead. And if you like the film, more power to you. I’m exceptionally happy for you.
But for me, I’ve actually watched this film multiple times for a couple reasons. I always gain an interesting insight and it tortures my family friends, who I will point out are themselves Christians. They also happen to be all employed or retired teachers. One in arts, one in literature, one in math, one in SOSE and one in History. So a broad range of perspectives I think.

In case you were under a rock, God’s not dead is a pureflix film that centres around Hercules trying to teach a College level philosophy class. He’s the strawman atheist who constantly breaks teacher codes of conduct and apparently hates God. When a student refuses to sign a piece of paper that declares God is dead, he decides it’s a good idea to have said student prove the opposite position or lose 30% of his grade. Because that’s totally how the Socratic method works you guys. /s
Anyway shenanigans ensue and the student tried valiantly to defend God to the class. By invoking Steven Hawking and Dostoevsky for some reason.

In addition to watching my cousins’ souls collectively leave their body out of sheer embarrassment I’ve gained all sorts of insights due to their responses. My Literature teaching Uncle immediately commanded me to read the Brothers Karamazov. My arts teaching cousin balked at the professors inaccurate uses of various philosophers. My maths teaching cousin went into full lecture mode in order to “defend what Hawking actually said” and my History teaching uncle gave me a list of sources he thought countered the films thesis. And my SOSE teaching Aunty gave me a pile of “homework” as punishment for making her view the film.

Are there are films you hate watch? For any reason. I just thought to share something that amused me.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly, I hate movies in general... I just can't sit and focus that long. Part of my brain dies. And it really sucked growing up, because everyone wanted to get together and watch movies. All my friends got absorbed, while I picked lint balls off furniture...

But, there are two exceptions. Shawshank Redemption and Lets Go To Prison. Vastly different movies, but still, both about prison...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Marley and me. One dimensional characters and plot with no development. Painfully slow. The dog being disobedient and destructive was obnoxious and annoying rather than funny or endearing. Most people seemed to have liked it or at least thought it was okay, but for me it was agony to sit through.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Okay, so this might be a bit weird but does anyone have a movie that they think is really bad but just watches it anyway? Like so bad it’s good?
Well I have a movie that I thought was awful but I found enjoyment not out of its awfulness but by the experiences I had watching it with certain people

That film is God’s not dead. And if you like the film, more power to you. I’m exceptionally happy for you.
But for me, I’ve actually watched this film multiple times for a couple reasons. I always gain an interesting insight and it tortures my family friends, who I will point out are themselves Christians. They also happen to be all employed or retired teachers. One in arts, one in literature, one in math, one in SOSE and one in History. So a broad range of perspectives I think.

In case you were under a rock, God’s not dead is a pureflix film that centres around Hercules trying to teach a College level philosophy class. He’s the strawman atheist who constantly breaks teacher codes of conduct and apparently hates God. When a student refuses to sign a piece of paper that declares God is dead, he decides it’s a good idea to have said student prove the opposite position or lose 30% of his grade. Because that’s totally how the Socratic method works you guys. /s
Anyway shenanigans ensue and the student tried valiantly to defend God to the class. By invoking Steven Hawking and Dostoevsky for some reason.

In addition to watching my cousins’ souls collectively leave their body out of sheer embarrassment I’ve gained all sorts of insights due to their responses. My Literature teaching Uncle immediately commanded me to read the Brothers Karamazov. My arts teaching cousin balked at the professors inaccurate uses of various philosophers. My maths teaching cousin went into full lecture mode in order to “defend what Hawking actually said” and my History teaching uncle gave me a list of sources he thought countered the films thesis. And my SOSE teaching Aunty gave me a pile of “homework” as punishment for making her view the film.

Are there are films you hate watch? For any reason. I just thought to share something that amused me.

It's just a film, i treat all films i watch in that way and i am not usually disappointed.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly, I hate movies in general... I just can't sit and focus that long. Part of my brain dies. And it really sucked growing up, because everyone wanted to get together and watch movies. All my friends got absorbed, while I picked lint balls off furniture...

But, there are two exceptions. Shawshank Redemption and Lets Go To Prison. Vastly different movies, but still, both about prison...
We actually “studied” Shawshank Redemption in English class. It was so popular it became one of the features in “movie day.” Aka all the curriculum is done but your parents are still working and there’s still technically school weeks left so let’s watch films in class.
It’s one of my all time faves

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
We actually “studied” Shawshank Redemption in English class. It was so popular it became one of the features in “movie day.” Aka all the curriculum is done but your parents are still working and there’s still technically school weeks left so let’s watch films in class.
It’s one of my all time faves

We watched it in school, too! Though it was done at the beginning of the course, and was more of a study of institutionalization.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
We watched it in school, too! Though it was done at the beginning of the course, and was more of a study of institutionalization.
Ours was based on theme, story structure and characters. But maybe because I’m Australian. :shrug:

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
God's not dead tells a certain type of Christians not to go to college because it's a den of sin. Whether that's a good thing is debatable.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
God's not dead tells a certain type of Christians not to go to college because it's a den of sin. Whether that's a good thing is debatable.
I’m perhaps biased as I grew up around Christians who are themselves educators. I just cringe at such a destructive (imo) message

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'll watch Dolemite when I have the weird craving to laugh at it. I also watched this once and found it pretty funny:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
LoL...Kinda. Romeo + Juliet with Leonardo Di Caprio and Claire Danes.
Since to me the only Romeo and Juliet will always remain the 1968 one by Zeffirelli...
But I watch it anyway...because of Leonardo only...:p

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Sure and Hamlet is just a play. But as a weirdo artsy type it’s fun to dissect the abstract :D

Actually i like Hamlet, read rhe book, seen the play a couple of times, once at Stratford upon Avon. The Patrick Stewart/David Tennant adaptation was very good but i had no preconceptions before i watched it.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Actually i like Hamlet, read rhe book, seen the play a couple of times, once at Stratford upon Avon. The Patrick Stewart/David Tennant adaptation was very good but i had no preconceptions before i watched it.
Neither did I. I’m a born Hindu who grew up under the colonial hangover. Do you think Shakes was venerated as the bard for me? Bruh only reason I like him is because I happen to like the Western literary canon. Mostly because I’m weird. Oh and Patrick Stuart reading Shakespeare. Be still my beating heart. *swoons*

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I always watch films with the understanding that I can walk out (w hat ever the ticket cost.)
or switch off or flip channels.
It is unusual for me to watch any film right through.
On Tv I mostly record them and watch them later, often taking a few bites to finish them.
this allows me to fast forward the really dire bits. or simply delete them.

However I have watched some films more than once.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Hilarious. I haven't watched it, and I'm never going to if possible.

Loving Walter is so sad. Ian McKellen and Barbara Jefford .. I could never watch that again. It was well done and absolute torture.

The 2006 made for TV movie Black Hole. This film seemed to have multiple unrelated plots going and which never converged. I'm not usually one to pick at the technical faults of a sci fi film, but but this completely misrepresented everything about how technology works, what gravity is, also how real people think. The science is sharknado bad but not funny. They hallmark seriously thought they were making a sci fi flick. A space alien emerges from the black hole created by a particle accelerator. As the black hole slowly grows, destroying the research facility, getting bigger and more destructive the ghostly giant alien seems to hunger for power lines, but it can be repelled by noise. Romance happens also. Earth is saved by a boombox.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Don't like movies? I like a lot of pop movies, action and fantasy. Don't like romantic suspense and most horror. Some horror like Donnie Darko is good..certain ones. I have met other people like yourself that didn't like any movies except for particular ones.

After I passed age 35 my ability to like movies dropped off significantly. I stopped expecting them to be good. I saw flaws and old routines and directing problems, casting problems, producing problems, lighting problems, odd phrasing etc.

PureX

Veteran Member
Maybe it's just old age, but I find that the next day I couldn't tell what movie I watched the night before, or what it was about.

I would be a little worried about this except that I suspect it's not a failure of my memory so much as it's a lack of significant content in nearly all the contemporary movies being made.

Once upon a time, movies were made with the hope of creating something meaningful, and significant. Now, they are made solely in the hope of their being profitable. (Same goes for houses, cars, groceries, clothing, appliances, and everything else we humans spend our lives making.) So it's no surprise that what we create is generally insignificant, and meaningless. Including even what passes for "art" these days.