• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate The Government Thread

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
1: Congress is useless.
2: We have absolutely zero strong leaders that everybody can get behind.
3: Schools start at different times and the fact that other teachers have already started the year is making me feel super behind on getting prepared for the school year and I hate it.
4: Daylight Savings Time is a sin against God, man and nature and the fact that our government continues to perpetuate Fake Time is despicable. Winter time is real time. #MakeTimeRealAgain

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have a dislike of bureaucracy not government. Government bureaucracy in my experience is mostly due to trying to ensure fairness and eliminate the chance of poor judgement on people's parts. For example, thick books specifying how to build a home because people don't take pride in their work and instead want to use substandard materials and processes to make a few more dollars.
The builders I know use better materials & techniques than code requires.
But your disdain for business, & praise of government really aren't the issue here.
You're still allowed to hate government for doing some particular thing.
I listed things I hate.
Have you only love for everything government does, eg, endless wars,
civil forfeiture abuse, denial of jury trial rights, wasteful spending,
corruption, etc, etc?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Take your pick....
County, city, township, state, & all 3 federal branches.

What about homeowners associations which have the power to penalize homeowners for violations? They are setting themselves up as a policing authority, which is a governmental function.

No, the briber is a crook.
The bribee is government.
But if you endure trouble from some bribed
government minion, this could generate hatred.
Have you been so harmed?

Not directly, but I would say that whoever or whatever performs a government function should be considered government, even if they aren't officially employees of the government.

So, for example, a mobster who kills someone would, for all intents and purposes, be committing a government-sanctioned summary execution, since they bribe government which allows them to commit these acts with impunity.

So, whoever has power over others, regardless of whatever form it takes, is acting on governmental authority - and their actions would most certainly be a reflection on the current government (and those among the elite who work with and support that government).

For much the same reason, I would consider all media to be a form of government, since they hold influence and power.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What about homeowners associations which have the power to penalize homeowners for violations? They are setting themselves up as a policing authority, which is a governmental function.
Those aren't government...they're private associations
you join with prior agreement to their rules.
But if carp about those you must, be my guest.
Not directly, but I would say that whoever or whatever performs a government function should be considered government, even if they aren't officially employees of the government.

So, for example, a mobster who kills someone would, for all intents and purposes, be committing a government-sanctioned summary execution, since they bribe government which allows them to commit these acts with impunity.

So, whoever has power over others, regardless of whatever form it takes, is acting on governmental authority - and their actions would most certainly be a reflection on the current government (and those among the elite who work with and support that government).

For much the same reason, I would consider all media to be a form of government, since they hold influence and power.
This all seems like bickering.for the sake of bickering.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I say it's an unenumerated right, like the right to abortion or Miranda notification.
Otherwise, government would have the power to prevent anyone from leaving
the country, which would be unreasonable.
It does have that power. Such as with this IRS thingy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It does have that power. Such as with this IRS thingy.
Do you approve of government's having unlimited power to prevent leaving the country?
And what of our losing civil liberties when crossing the border, eg, warrantless searches?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I hate the government when it's thinks it's your nanny and can tell you in an in-your-face manner exactly what you can and cannot do with your own personal property and personal self on your own land that you purchased with your own money.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I hate the government when it's thinks it's your nanny and can tell you in an in-your-face manner exactly what you can and cannot do with your own personal property and personal self on your own land that you purchased with your own money.
One reason I was never willing to accept Section 8 tenants was the
government requirement to monitor who visited & lived in the unit,
& then notify government. There's even special surveilling property
management software for this.
Local government here also had a de facto surveillance requirement
imposed upon landlords.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Those aren't government...they're private associations
you join with prior agreement to their rules.
But if carp about those you must, be my guest.

Well, it's the same with government. One can always leave.

This all seems like bickering.for the sake of bickering.

No, just my observations as to what constitutes "government."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If it turns out to be legal to take away rights (eg, travel) due to some
unfulfilled obligation (eg, debt) this would be a potentially very
oppressive tool. This is one example. Another is a male's failure
to register for the draft, in which case educational & financial benefits
will be denied. It all seems very People's Republic Of Chinaesque.
Are you comfortable allowing someone like
Trump to expand such power over us? I'm not.
In the news....
JUDGE: 'Terror' watchlist violates constitutional rights...

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Systems rust. Parts wear down. Mold grows. Sunlight fades and weakens things. Eventually you have to replace things.