• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate The Government Thread

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Thankfully your information sources lied to you.
Asset forfeiture is one thing I too hate about the cops and how often it happens and is abused, and there is nothing about it that is a lie. It's a big reason as to why drug dealers often own nothing on paper, despite living in lavish houses and driving luxury cars. Otherwise, for pretty much any reason and only having to word things just right to relate it to the criminal activity, it all gets confiscated at the whims of police. But regular people do own things on paper, and any cash, vehicles, electronics, and so many other things are forfeit. And sometimes even if it is not owned by that person but is just there. Some countries tell their citizens to not carry cash when traveling here because of it. They can shoot and kill your dog, leave you broke, without a phone or transportation, and anything you have they want, it's theirs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, I suppose it depends on how one defines "government."
Take your pick....
County, city, township, state, & all 3 federal branches.
Suppose there was a private businessman who controlled a political machine which could bribe, blackmail, or coerce local politicians and other officials. Wouldn't that private businessman be, in effect, a government official - or at least considered an integral part of government and how it operates?
No, the briber is a crook.
The bribee is government.
But if you endure trouble from some bribed
government minion, this could generate hatred.
Have you been so harmed?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you owe the IRS back taxes, you may lose your passport
The IRS is finally ready to make good on threats to strip U.S. passports from Americans who owe more than $52,000 in overdue taxes.
So? What's the problem?
If it turns out to be legal to take away rights (eg, travel) due to some
unfulfilled obligation (eg, debt) this would be a potentially very
oppressive tool. This is one example. Another is a male's failure
to register for the draft, in which case educational & financial benefits
will be denied. It all seems very People's Republic Of Chinaesque.
Are you comfortable allowing someone like
Trump to expand such power over us? I'm not.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
If it turns out to be legal to take away rights (eg, travel) due to some
unfulfilled obligation (eg, debt)
Am I correct in thinking that your country still puts people in jail for not paying their taxes? That certainly takes away your right to travel.

Shad

Veteran Member
I'm furious over Uncle Sam's continued use of militarily attacking and bombing someone. It's been a very long time since the troops have actually defending our freedom, yet they die and suffer horrible, and left to rot and die once they no longer serve. I wouldn't hate the military budget as much if the money went to making sure the troops are taken care of for until they die and the aren't left to struggle. I hate that Uncle Sam is utterly unconcerned about enforcing his own laws onto states. The Constitution doesn't forbid medical treatments - it does prohibit the respecting of religion and tests of religious faith for office. And those Uncle Sam lets influence him, he listens to those motivated by greed and fear. Uncle Sam will let them put a price tag on just about anything, and he allows them to teach "sex is ew, gross, icky."

I am reminded of Apocalypse Now.

"We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won’t allow them to write “****” on their airplanes because it’s obscene.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I never thought of you as one of those uber-patriotic flag waving,
my country can do no wrong, love it or leave it types of pooches.
There are a surprising number of government lovers on this thread!

I have a dislike of bureaucracy not government. Government bureaucracy in my experience is mostly due to trying to ensure fairness and eliminate the chance of poor judgement on people's parts. For example, thick books specifying how to build a home because people don't take pride in their work and instead want to use substandard materials and processes to make a few more dollars.

Business bureaucracy I've experienced as sometimes trying to eliminate errors by forms and rules. But sometimes it's a negative attempt to avoid paying what's owed such as insurance companies denying valid health care claims to increase profits.

So I direct my ire not at government but at the state of humanity today.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We can move about the states, but travel to another country is not a right. The wiki article even supports the claim when it mentions the requirement of a passport for international travel. Revoking passports does not infringe upon any right.
I say it's an unenumerated right, like the right to abortion or Miranda notification.
Otherwise, government would have the power to prevent anyone from leaving
the country, which would be unreasonable.