• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate speach

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall
A friend of mine on another US based Religious Forum has been banned for inciting hate speech, I know him and all that has happened as does on this forum is someone got offended by his comments and reported his post. Surly in a world based on talking personal responsibility, the person who's offended is the problem, but sadly the blame shifting world in which we live in now empowers those who are offended. What a nonsense.

Doesn't the 1st amendment allow for FREE SPEECH ?? So my question: Does the forum have the power & authority to ban him?

He's thinking strongly of filling a case against the forum for not complying with the 1st amendment.

Altfish

Veteran Member
A friend of mine on another US based Religious Forum has been banned for inciting hate speech, I know him and all that has happened as does on this forum is someone got offended by his comments and reported his post. Surly in a world based on talking personal responsibility, the person who's offended is the problem, but sadly the blame shifting world in which we live in now empowers those who are offended. What a nonsense.

Doesn't the 1st amendment allow for FREE SPEECH ?? So my question: Does the forum have the power & authority to ban him?

He's thinking strongly of filling a case against the forum for not complying with the 1st amendment.
You don't say what he said BUT can't a private forum make its own rules. I've had my wrist slapped on a few occasions on this forum for overstepping their boundaries.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that you cannot claim 1st amendment privileges in a hosted forum like this one. The first amendment is mostly intended for public, non-hosted settings.

That said, I am worried that in these days of aggressive offense taking, a lot of valid criticism is being rebranded as "hate speech".

Trackdayguy

You don't say what he said BUT can't a private forum make its own rules. I've had my wrist slapped on a few occasions on this forum for overstepping their boundaries.

Sorry to hear that, the same thing has happened to me on more than one occasion.

So does forum have a legal right to impose rules on people when those rules are in conflict with the 1st amendment and the ruling of the Supreme Court?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...endment/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4f0fb4871d2e

For me this is all about the fear of "offending people" and forum moderators acting as guardians as if they were being a caretakers of a bunch of children who aren't emotionally healthy enough to take responsibility for their own actions and responses.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Sorry to hear that, the same think has happened to me.

So does forum have a legal right to impose rules on people when those rules are in conflict with the 1st amendment and the ruling of the Supreme Court

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...endment/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4f0fb4871d2e

For me this is all about the fear of "offending people" and forum moderators acting as guardians as if they were being a caretakers of a bunch of children who aren't taking responsibility for their own actions and responses.
Firstly, I'm not an American, so I'm not bound by any amendment.
It is a world wide forum
When you sign up didn't we agree to a set of rules? Aren't they readily available in the Introductions section? If you don't agree, you don't have to remain a member.
I'm sure Golf Clubs and the like have dress codes that would infringe my rights - but I knew what I was signing up to. If in the same golf club I start mouthing off - I could be thrown out.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Forums with any particular agenda ban people all the time. It's their right. I could go say stuff on several forums today, and get myself banned right away.

Trackdayguy

Privately owned internet forums are not subject to First Amendment protection.

So I can start a private club that restricts the members and Im not subject to the laws of the land, how about holding them against their will. "This is about OFFENCE nothing else. Because offense is about choice.

PureX

Veteran Member
Living in a society means that along with our own individual freedom there comes a responsibility to respect the freedoms, rights, and well-being of those we are living among. Your friend didn't do that and so was ejected from that particular online society.

So what?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So I can start a private club that restricts the members and Im not subject to the laws of the land, how about holding them against their will. "This is about OFFENCE nothing else. Because offense is about choice.

Sure you can. Let me know how that works out for you.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If he is really willing to file such a frivolous nuisance lawsuit he shouldn't be given membership on any internet forum.

Let's hope that RF dodges that bullet.
Would you recognize him if he tried to join here, and report him to the staff?
Tom

Trackdayguy

Living in a society means that along with our own individual freedom there comes a responsibility to respect the freedoms, rights, and well-being of those we are living among. Your friend didn't do that and so was ejected from that particular online society.

And the people who were offended also had a responsibility and that was NOT to get offended and starting taking some personal responsibility for their emotions instead of blaming others and using political correctness as their scapegoat

So what?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If he is really willing to file such a frivolous nuisance lawsuit he shouldn't be given membership on any internet forum.

Let's hope that RF dodges that bullet.
Would you recognize him if he tried to join here, and report him to the staff?
Tom

Something tells me that if he did, we'd find him quite easily based on the behaviors referenced in the OP.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure that you cannot claim 1st amendment privileges in a hosted forum like this one. The first amendment is mostly intended for public, non-hosted settings.

That said, I am worried that in these days of aggressive offense taking, a lot of valid criticism is being rebranded as "hate speech".

It definitely is not a first amendment issue.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You mean like your friend feeling offended by the rules of the forum?
Tom