• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate is Better?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Agape love involves faithfulness, commitment, and an act of the will. It is distinguished from the other types of love by its lofty moral nature and strong character. Agape love is beautifully described in 1 Corinthians 13.

The type of love that characterizes God is not a sappy, sentimental feeling such as we often hear portrayed.
Agape love is always shown by what it does. God’s love is displayed most clearly at the cross. “God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved” (Ephesians 2:4–5, ESV).
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters” (1 John 3:16).

It's not an emotion.

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it his not arrogant does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;2 does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Seems to me this is describing the actions motivated by love not love itself.

Agape love is always shown by what it does.

By what the feeling motivates you to do. Or what it should motivate you to do. It doesn't always work that way.
It is telling you when you feel love, this is, ideally, how you should act. It is, per its view, describing the actions of love. Not really saying love is not a feeling or emotion, just how one should properly act on it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
so the opposite is hate. infants in all kinds of species would not make it for more than a few hours at best. teenagers might make it for a few days. even adults need the compassion, friendliness of others to exist in a social world.

this isn't rocket science
Why does it have to be love OR hate? What can't people just LIKE other people?
One does not need a social world to exist. All they need is food and water and sleep.
This isn't rocket science.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Why does it have to be love OR hate? What can't people just LIKE other people?
One does not need a social world to exist. All they need is food and water and sleep.
This isn't rocket science.
Nurse, we need another hug. Right away!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Hate is but the absence of Love.
Not necessarily. Haven't you ever heard that hate is the closest thing to love.
Do you understand that sometimes we hate those who we love? This is basic psychology.
Love is the animating force.
Only according to some religions, not according to logic and reason. ;)
There is a whole world out there and there is much more to life than love.

2: O SON OF SPIRIT! The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see with thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others, and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thy neighbor. Ponder this in thy heart; how it behooveth thee to be. Verily justice is My gift to thee and the sign of My loving-kindness. Set it then before thine eyes. The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 3-4

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If you did that to a newborn baby as the only caretaker it would go in effect crazy within a month and if you continue on, it would end a severely and permanently mentally damaged human.
A newborn baby needs love, and ideally children need to feel loved in order to grow up to be loving adults, but they did not get love as children their capacity for loving others is thwarted. To expect these people to be the SAME as children who were loved as children is cruel and lacking in compassion.

To those whom much is given much is expected. Judge not lest ye be judged.

After we are all grown up we can exist without love.
It might not be the best way to live, but people do live that way and continue to exist.

Imo, it is much better to love others than to need to be loved by others. The latter is selfish. I don't want to be selfish. I'd rather put others first.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We all just want to get our next emotional fix.
Some people do, some people don't. We are all very different.
To expect everyone to be loving is not very loving, because not all people have the capacity to love, but sadly those religious people who promulgate love don't understand that because they are blinded by their scriptures. It is almost enough to make me want to drop out of my religion and I might do so if I did not know that my religion teaches MUCH MORE than love.

People generally SEE what they want to SEE. ;)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Some people do, some people don't. We are all very different.
To expect everyone to be loving is not very loving, because not all people have the capacity to love, but sadly those religious people who promulgate love don't understand that because they are blinded by their scriptures. It is almost enough to make me want to drop out of my religion and I might do so if I did not know that my religion teaches MUCH MORE than love.

People generally SEE what they want to SEE. ;)

I read for some hate and anger makes them happy. Maybe not the norm but human like the rest.
I get a little frustrated with people claiming that love will solve everything.

I suspect people are told that, accept it and loose and any rationality about it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I get a little frustrated with people claiming that love will solve everything.

I suspect people are told that, accept it and loose and any rationality about it.
I am more than a little frustrated with these people and I consider it proselytizing.
Most people do not like being told how they should think and feel, either directly or indirectly.
What usually happens as a result is that they rebel so it has the opposite of the intended effect.

There is nothing rational about loving everyone, it is a religious belief of certain religions.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
IMO, people can be animated by hate too.

Yes I am not saying people can not show hate.

It is like the sun and the rays. The sun being love and the rays the virtues. They are what sustain life as a human.

Darkness or lack of virtues is the result of not radiating Love.

So if we do not emanate the full potential of the light of Love, we slip further from virtues, through levels of hate and predudices, down to the full darkness of hate.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Only according to some religions, not according to logic and reason. ;)
There is a whole world out there and there is much more to life than love

This is where we can also use science. The power behind creation and what sustains it, in Faith is known as Love. It is the essence of the Word of God. All virtues emanate from love.

This power, science is yet to name. Some years ago I was reading that some scientists had called it the 'Love Force'.

Anyway, all the best and Love from me to you and all Susan.

Regards Tony