• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate is Better?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Which is better? Love or hate.

Love is positive? Why?
Hate is negative? Why?

What makes love the superior emotion to feel?

Hate exists to warn you against something that threatens you.

Love and hate. the carrot and the stick to keep you alive.

Hate you say can be destructive? Cannot love also be as destructive?
Hate will make you do stupid things. Can't love also make you do stupid things?

Why does hate get such a bad rap. Hate is only trying to protect you.
Because no one can exist without love. it is necessary for all aspects of life. without it, hate only destroys

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Love is to want every single person on Earth to be happy.
Every single person. There are no wicked and no good.
Because Jesus loves everyone.
So, love is when people's happiness makes you happy. And you fight for people's happiness.

Hate is Schadenfreude, is a very negative energy that is there when you hate yourself first.
When you are not at peace with the world.
So you want others' and your unhappiness.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Answering the OP's question, that is not hate.
That is prudence.
Jesus Himself said " Be as pure as doves and as prudent as snakes".
Which means: keep loving, but be careful.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Because certain religions give it a bad rap. ;)
That is also why love gets a good rap but personally I think that loving everyone no matter what they do or who they are is totally unrealistic.

That does seem to be the case. The best approach I've come up with in my personal life is, "Love a few. Accept more." And as for the rest of the people after that, there's a philosophy [some] of us witches have, that deals with not harming others. I'd add interfering to that too, I think.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not believe that love is essential to exist. Only food, water and sleep are necessary to exist.
Nobody ever died from a lack of love.

Except one might argue that love could be a necessary component for the reproduction of life. On the other hand, lust could easily satisfy the same requirement.

I think one of my favorite lines in The Matrix is from Agent Smith towards the end of Matrix 3.

Agent Smith : Why, Mr. Anderson? Why, why? Why do you do it? Why, why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting... for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although... only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love.

I don't know why, but the bolded part always makes me laugh.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It occurs to me, regarding the subject of "love" and "hate" is that the terms themselves can be quite generalized and broad. There are many different kinds of love and hate, different degrees and levels.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It's usually a positive emotion. That's good.
Yes, hate has its uses, but ─ far more than love usually does ─ it needs to be tempered by reason or you end up a Trump follower, taught to be frightened and vicious without ever quite being able to give sane reasons why.

Could temper your dislike and be honest? You could also end up a bomb throwing anarchistic radical left. Don't let your biases cloud your thinking. Do as you preach.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It occurs to me, regarding the subject of "love" and "hate" is that the terms themselves can be quite generalized and broad. There are many different kinds of love and hate, different degrees and levels.
They surely are very different, seen either from an atheist perspective, or from a theist perspective.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Could temper your dislike and be honest? You could also end up a bomb throwing anarchistic radical left. Don't let your biases cloud your thinking. Do as you preach.
You seem to be really cool about storming the Capitol, a matter orchestrated by Trump for the grossest of motives. I find it destructive both in fact ─ lives were lost and property wantonly destroyed ─ and symbolically, in that it proclaims the right of the mob to rule by violence. And it's just the part of the Trump iceberg that shows above water.

I preach not doing that, I preach respect for democratic institutions, I preach decency and respect and inclusion together with common sense. And I try to act accordingly.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You seem to be really cool about storming the Capitol, a matter orchestrated by Trump for the grossest of motives. I find it destructive both in fact ─ lives were lost and property wantonly destroyed ─ and symbolically, in that it proclaims the right of the mob to rule by violence. And it's just the part of the Trump iceberg that shows above water.

I preach not doing that, I preach respect for democratic institutions, I preach decency and respect and inclusion together with common sense. And I try to act accordingly.

Okay. And that which is really real. ;)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What if hatred makes you feel happy?

All creation requires destruction. You can't create one thing without destroying another.
And is not love also a reaction to something?

Love and hate motivate us. Why can't hate motivate us to be creative?

I understand maybe it doesn't usually work that way but maybe the problem is us. We are not taught to creatively use hate.
You can train yourself to think creatively no matter what you feel. That is something you learn to do in spite of your feelings, hopefully from childhood. Games might help teach this if you learn to keep playing even when you are losing. Quitting the game is bad training, and if you keep playing and thinking then you might receive a reward. Its hard when you don't think you're winning, but you can keep playing hard.