• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate Crimes

Pah

Uber all member
Fluffy said:
I honestly did not realise there were that many hate crimes per year before viewing these statistics. A bit of an eye opener. I don't suppose anyone knows of the distribution of hate crimes across America?
“Among the 7,489 reported hate crime incidents in 2003, 7,485 were single-bias incidents. Investigators reported 4 multiple-bias hate crime incidents in 2003” (Hate Crime Statistics, Federal Bureau of Investigation, 2003).
More available here

Fluffy

A fool
Thank you pah. It is even more sickening when you consider that this only covers those crimes that were tried successfully. I wonder how much the figures would increase when those situations where there was a lack of evidence or the victims were too scared to come forward were to be included :(.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Fluffy said:
Thank you pah. It is even more sickening when you consider that this only covers those crimes that were tried successfully. I wonder how much the figures would increase when those situations where there was a lack of evidence or the victims were too scared to come forward were to be included :(.
Same with sex crimes

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I was very surprised to read statistice about ethnic-based crime here in England. The following link is where I obtained the figures below:-

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=267

According to the British Crime Survey the estimated number of racially motivated offences in England and Wales fell from 390,000 in 1995 to 280,000 in 1999. The number of racially motivated incidents against Black, Indian, Pakistani, and Bangladeshi people also fell, from 145,000 in 1995 to 98,000 in 1999. This indicates that increased levels of racially motivated incidents as recorded by police statistics, relate to improvements in recording and higher levels of reporting such incidents.:eek:

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
pah said:
There is a principle of criminal law that looks at motive and makes a judgement based on motive. There is a tremendous disparity in the punishment handed out in the various cases of someone killing another.
Yes, I know this. But in the realm of violent crimes, what makes one motive more dispicable than another? To me, it is a matter of opinion. If someone is convicted of first degree murder, I don't care what the motivation is, I want them to go to jail for the rest of their life.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Original Freak said:
Not all crimes are done because of hate. If you rob someone it's more along the lines of greed, necessity, desperation or many other reasons, but I doubt hate has much to actually do with it. Hate crimes are done specifically to punish someone for looking a certian way or having a certian life style.
I think that there is a certain amount of hatred involved in all violent crime. Just a difference of opinion.