• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hasidic literature?

Levite

Higher and Higher
A big +1 for Aryeh Kaplan. He was really the masterworker of Kabbalah and Hasidut in English translation. His translation of the stories of Rebbe Nachman of Breslov is especially phenomenal.

Adin Steinsaltz did a nice collection of Kabbalistic stories called The Thirteen Petalled Rose, and many if not most of those have ended up as Hasidic stories in one form or another.

Reb Zalman Schachter-Shalomi did a very fine introduction to the Hasidic masters and their thought, called Wrapped In A Holy Flame. I believe there is also one called A Heart Afire.

Elie Wiesel's Souls on Fire is a nice little introductory volume.

There is always Buber's Tales of the Hasidim, although I find that to be rather watered-down.

There is a whole English language Chassidus (Hasidut) section at nehora.com, which is my favorite online Jewish bookseller for hard-to-find volumes. They have some really quality stuff there: worth checking out.