• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HaShem in Judaism - What are the essential qualities?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
That is true. I know Islam has a list of 99 attributes of Allah derived from the Qu'ran.

99 Names of Allah (Al Asma Ul Husna) - with Meaning and Explanation

Are you or anyone else aware of an equivalent list based on the Torah?
There are different theories about this. I don't know if there is agreement on 1 specific list. Wikipedia lists 7 names, but I would want to double check the wiki article before trusting it on this. Many other sources will tell you there are 72 names. So its a little weird. However, if you would like evidence of some sort that there are different names and that these names represent different manners in which G-d operates here in the material world, I can do that.

rosends

Thank you for your contribution. Its always excellent to have your contribution and insights in questions such as these.

You may note at the top of my list of attributes of Hashem are that He is Unknowable. What in your opinion would be a better word or phrase to describe the vast and unfathomable chasm between our meagre human comprehension and Hashem's All-Knowing and Wise attribute?

In regards infinite, I have included Eternal, Omniscient and Omnipotent. Does this not suffice?
It is tough to explain but in my understanding, there is a level beyond "unknowable" -- we can't even know the amount that we don't know. Saying "unknowable" by itself seems only to point to one level and somehow, there is another level of what we don't know: THAT we don't know. Tough to explain -- sorry.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
There are different theories about this. I don't know if there is agreement on 1 specific list. Wikipedia lists 7 names, but I would want to double check the wiki article before trusting it on this. Many other sources will tell you there are 72 names. So its a little weird. However, if you would like evidence of some sort that there are different names and that these names represent different manners in which G-d operates here in the material world, I can do that.
I would be very interested to see such a list.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Interesting. A list of 16 names of HaShem, exactly the same number as your revised list I used in the OP.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is tough to explain but in my understanding, there is a level beyond "unknowable" -- we can't even know the amount that we don't know. Saying "unknowable" by itself seems only to point to one level and somehow, there is another level of what we don't know: THAT we don't know. Tough to explain -- sorry.

The word unknowable to me already indicates that there is a level of knowledge. Any thing we think may be G_d, is pure fabrication.

I see that what we see as unreachable knowledge, is just the knowledge of G_d's Messengers, that they are our mystery to which no vision can surpass.

Regards Tony

Tumah

Veteran Member
I was exploring with another member recently the different theological concepts when comparing Judaism and Islam. We compiled a preliminary list. I would be very interested to hear from adherents of Judaism or anyone with knowledge in this area to provide constructive feedback on the list. What do you see as the most important attributes of Hashem and why? Any thoughts about key similarities or differences with Islam? Remember this thread is for respectful discussion and not for debate.

HaShem
  1. Unknowable
  2. One
  3. Transcendent
  4. Omnipotent
  5. Omniscient
  6. Creator of all
  7. Sustainer of all
  8. Generous Giver
  9. Self-Subsisting
  10. Unchanging
  11. Eternal
  12. With whom we can have a personal relationship
  13. Self-revealer through Prophets and Messengers
  14. Covenants with Israel
  15. God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
  16. Law-Giver at Sinai
I don't think that G-d Himself can be described as having any essential qualities. The qualities that we discuss are all our perception of His Influence. His Influence is not limited in it's essence, but our perception is not. As Maimoindes explains:

He does not know with a knowledge which is external to Him in the way that we know, for ourselves and our knowledge are not one. Rather, the Creator, may He be blessed, He, His knowledge, and His life are one from all sides and corners, in all manners of unity.
The Ramcha"l as well says that the only positive description we can use to describe G-d is that He's One. And the reason he explains we can use that description is because it's not saying anything about G-d Himself, but about everything that isn't G-d Himself.

When we refer to G-d's omniscience, what we're really talking about our own perception in G-d's "G-dding". And that appears to us as omniscience. And sometimes when G-d is G-d, it appears to us as though G-d is being sustaining. But G-d isn't doing anything different than when He appeared omniscient.

So none of these things (except number 2) are qualities of G-d, they're variations in our own perception, some of them quite subjective.

The closest that we have are lists of attributes that G-d uses for administering the world. But again, these are not essential qualities. G-d acts mercifully, not because He is essentially merciful, but because He chooses to act mercifully. He can and does act with strictness, again not because G-d is strict, but because He chooses to act strictly. These aren't qualities of G-d's nature, they're modes of action that G-d chooses to take as much as choosing can be said of G-d.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I would be very interested to see such a list.
Here's a list of 10. It is the easiest list to use because each name correlates to a difference sefirot.

How Many Names Does G‑d have?

"Question:
In my Kabbalah classes, we are discussing the names of G‑d and I have some questions: How many names does G‑d have?"

upload_2019-11-29_2-51-15.png

Here's a definition of sefirot from wikipedia. I haven't read the entire article, BTW. But at least this part seems accurate.

upload_2019-11-29_2-54-53.png

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Ramcha"l as well says that the only positive description we can use to describe G-d is that He's One. And the reason he explains we can use that description is because it's not saying anything about G-d Himself, but about everything that isn't G-d Himself.

I see another way to see the One Name of G-d, is in all the Positive Virtues and Attributes as suggested by Genesis 1:27. Virtues are shown in All the Names of God, who are G-d's Messengers made in that image, they one and all revert back to the One Name.

Another way to put that concept is, that if we envisage G-d as one name, the Sun, all the Messengers are the life giving rays from the Sun, all the Names and Attributes that emenate from the 'One Sun'. We do not know the Essence of the Sun, but we can know the Sun by the light it gives. Those rays of light are what gives life to all that are on earth and in turn what we can reflect.

We can also see that what enemates from the Sun, All the Rays, the Messengers, also do not know the Essence of the Sun.

Our Knowledge of One G-d, One Name is not any knowledge of the Essence of G-d.

That is how I have come to see who we are and what are the essential qualities.

Regards Tony

Tumah

Veteran Member
I see another way to see the One Name of G-d, is in all the Positive Virtues and Attributes as suggested by Genesis 1:27. Virtues are shown in All the Names of God, who are G-d's Messengers made in that image, they one and all revert back to the One Name.

Another way to put that concept is, that if we envisage G-d as one name, the Sun, all the Messengers are the life giving rays from the Sun, all the Names and Attributes that emenate from the 'One Sun'. We do not know the Essence of the Sun, but we can know the Sun by the light it gives. Those rays of light are what gives life to all that are on earth and in turn what we can reflect.

We can also see that what enemates from the Sun, All the Rays, the Messengers, also do not know the Essence of the Sun.

Our Knowledge of One G-d, One Name is not any knowledge of the Essence of G-d.

That is how I have come to see who we are and what are the essential qualities.

Regards Tony
I'm not 100% sure what you're saying as you're implying we can both know and are not capable of knowing at the same time.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not 100% sure what you're saying as you're implying we can both know and are not capable of knowing at the same time.

Correct the Essence of G-d is unknowable to us, never to be reached all doors shut.

On the other hand is the balance, as the Attributes are given of God and all we can know of G-d. The source of the Attributes are G-d's Messengers, Prophets and they are One and all, all that we can Know of G-d

Thus we cannot ever know G-d in Essence and all we know of G-d is Attributes. Not knowing and capable of knowing, that is the image Man was made in.

All names we know G-d by, are just Attributes and can not give us any vision or thought of the Essence of G-d, all praise reverts back to the givers of the Attributes, the Messengers who are One with G-d.

Thus the 'Greatest Name of G-d' is what is promised in Scripture as the 'Day of G-d'. Some Christians see that as the 'Day of Jehovah'. I see in this day, that is the 'Glory of God' that many Jews await for.

Regards Tony