• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has the influence of Atheism (Agnosticism/Skepticism) improved civilization?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Hey paarsurrey - interesting question! Let me ask you to qualify it a bit...

Are you lumping secularism in with atheism, or are you trying to look at atheism all by itself?

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
These are interesting responses from theists; and I have to voice my appreciation.

I believe that the impact on atheism, at this time, is minimal; simply because there are, statistically, so few of us. I have hopes that the influences of atheism will grow and become more apparent in the coming decades; and I believe that these impacts; as will all modes of thought; will have both positive and negative impacts. I hold that there will be more positive impacts than negative impacts.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Theists and Atheists alike to discuss it.
Proof and evidences are appreciated.

Regards
Naturalism has. If you ask for proof and evidence i might report you for trolling it should be self evident. All scientific and technological progress.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is a claim that is practically impossible to defend. Many scientists have viewed science as a way to understand god's creation, the Islamic medieval empire advanced many areas of knowledge. Really, secularism has only really contributed in the regards that we should all get along. Which is definitely very good, but, at the same time, it can't really claim to have done any more-or-less than religion has.

Jumi

Not sure how much influence I would put on either belief in god or lack thereof.

Here's one fun fact: Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Linus Torvalds all atheists so the direction of operating systems comes in big part from atheists.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I suppose once you understand how things can be made to forcefully work (as in by designing an operating system) one realizes how unlikely it is that existence was meant to be.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Regards
I find it interesting and a little strange that you list those three things in the title (Atheism, Agnosticism and Skepticism) as if they are the same thing.

So to answer the question I am not sure I can see how Atheism itself has or could make any improvements on society, and the same thing goes for agnosticism. And this is coming form an agnostic atheist (or is that an atheistic agnostic).

But skepticism, absolutely. Without skepticism I don't think any advancement in society would be possible. Without skepticism I don't think society would be possible at all.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Pol Pot and Stalin were atheist.
One day people may realize people are people, and we'll be violent, nasty, and horrible as long as we are around; religion not needed.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Regards
Specifically anti-religion? Or do you mean everything that wasn't religious in origin? Everything that wasn't religious in origin covers almost all of the known science and advancements we have today. But in terms of an anti-theistic philosophy I don't know. Or do you mean secularism? I think secularism has been an objective good for our societies today yes.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Agreed. but neither Pol Pot nor Stalin encouraged or even allowed skepticism.
It may be the allowance and tolerance of asking questions and skepticism have had the greatest influence. Both atheism and theism have inspired great things and unimaginable cruelties, and they have both been intolerant, to the point of death, towards questions and skepticism.
But it's when things can be questions and questions can be asked is when things really get done.

MD

qualiaphile
Not sure how much influence I would put on either belief in god or lack thereof.

Here's one fun fact: Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Linus Torvalds all atheists so the direction of operating systems comes in big part from atheists.

I think there has to be a distinction drawn between everyday normal atheists and the Hitchens/Dawkins militant type.

Jobs was an atheist, but he was also a buddhist who believed in reincarnation. That's not typical of militant atheists at all.

Jumi

I think there has to be a distinction drawn between everyday normal atheists and the Hitchens/Dawkins militant type.
What do you think of this article regarding Dawkins? What makes him a militant?

Richard Dawkins admits he is a 'cultural Anglican' - Telegraph

Jobs was an atheist, but he was also a buddhist who believed in reincarnation. That's not typical of militant atheists at all.
I wouldn't describe most atheists as militants. The days of Communist hijacking of atheism are gone.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

The way I'm interpreting this post is that you're roughly equating "militant atheist" with "anti-theist". Is that a fair interpretation? If so, I'm not convinced that the OP was about these two flavors of atheism?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The days of Communist hijacking of atheism are gone.
Communism has only hijacked atheism because of anti-communist propaganda. As long as the strong misconceptions about communism persists, there will probably always be those who believe atheism leads to the violent state-dictatorships we have called communist.