• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has the Forum Become More -- or Less -- Hateful Over the Past Year?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's definitely not as friendly and it no longer has the sense of community that it once had.
That is absolutely true...There was much more friendliness back when there was the RF Shoutbox...people used to communicate in a healthier way.

After all we all have different opinions and diversity makes a community enriched.

There was more awareness of that back then:)

Last edited:

suncowiam

It's a religious and political forum...

Given that hate comes from various religious and political spectrum, it just depends really.

suncowiam

That's an excuse, and ignores the fact we all agreed to certain rules when we joined.

What harbors hate?

People are not born to hate... They're taught to hate.

Rules only do so much, assuming they're enforced in the first place. Plus, we didn't all agree to the rules. I bet most people don't know what the rules are or how to interpret the rules.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Everyone clicks on a button that says they agree to the rules. You have to do that to register for the site.
I clicked the button without bothering to read the rules. Rules don't matter.

I'd lurked on RF for awhile and decided that I liked it. One big thing I liked was the level playing field, objective moderation. I'd been a member of many forums before, moderator on one, and I knew good mods when I saw them. RF has excellent moderation.

Proof enough for me is that I can be honest to the point of vicious. And while I have 40+ warnings and 20+ infraction points, I haven't left or been banned.

The staff and I get along great!
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Has the Forum's atmosphere become more -- or less -- hateful over the past year? What do you think?
More or less than what?

In my experience, (joined early 2014, I think) the peak aggressive hatefulness was during the last US presidential race. A crazy, unethical, billionaire was gaining on a corrupt old career politician.
Tensions were high.
Would a lying New York liberal unthrone a true blue conservative?

Much hilarity ensued.

Besides that episode, I don't see much difference from when I joined.
Nothing I can't blame on Trump.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Whether or not you took the time to read the rules, you agreed to them. And if rules didn't matter, no one would have warnings or infractions.
Perhaps this is the only internet forum you've ever been on.
Rules don't matter, what matters is how the mods interpret and enforce those little marks on a computer screen.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't remember that.
There used to be an unmoderated feature, a chat room.
I only vaguely remember a bunch of RF members gossiping about other RF members. I didn't like it and only logged in a couple of times.

But it was definitely there. I don't know if it still is or not.
Tom

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I only vaguely remember a bunch of RF members gossiping about other RF members. I didn't like it and only logged in a couple of times.

Tom
That is absolutely not true...there was a very nice environment...also thanks to very cheerful people:)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Tom
Oh, that.

It feels like it was at least a couple of years ago.

I have been there, but not very often.