• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has Greta studied this?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Are you saying that Sky News should be condemned for reporting what the Resources Minister of Australia said?

It looks like no news is good news for climate change activists. Don’t even talk about it never mind question it.
No, what I'n saying is that the right-wing media, of which Sky News is a part of, picks and chooses what to report and whom to interview. The person interviewed that you posted is a politician, not a scientist or, even better yet, a group of scientists that represents a consensus of what the experts in climate science actually do know.

Notanumber

A Free Man
No, what I'n saying is that the right-wing media, of which Sky News is a part of, picks and chooses what to report and whom to interview. The person interviewed that you posted is a politician, not a scientist or, even better yet, a group of scientists that represents a consensus of what the experts in climate science actually do know.

It is good to know that there are some media outlets prepared to report what politicians are saying and doing.

Have you tried looking behind the curtain?

Shad

Veteran Member
Will do.

Nasa has just reported that the last decade has seen the highest temperature rises in human history. It was on the BBC New tonight.

You mean recorded history not human history. The Roman Warm Period enabled the Romans and Britons to grow crops only seen in areas these South France which are in the Northern Mediterranean climate zone. We are not at the point yet. Keep in mind the technological difference between the Roman period and now. So I am talking about basic agriculture not green houses or agriculture that only exists due to technology such as Cali's wine industry.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is good to know that there are some media outlets prepared to report what politicians are saying and doing.

And it has been shown using more studies than that one that the 97% number is fairly accurate. Why do you keep using PRATT's? Have you given up on debating this topic?

metis

Actually, if does their homework, he was spot-on with almost all the scientific evidence he put forth. But what the "right" did was to mostly pounce on his "hockey-stick graph", which indeed was misleading, and use that as a disingenuous basis to condemn his whole presentation.

We could go point by point and show that he was pretty much correct on the rest, but how many people actually read peer-reviewed science sources, thus at least some of them can be all too easily duped.

If one truly wants to be serious and not just "political" on this, they can access past copies of "Scientific American" going back for decades to see for themselves how the ongoing research has confirmed what he said. I've had subscriptions going back to the late 1960's, so I've followed this quite closely over the years.

But the "right" has an agenda, and using real scientific evidence isn't one of them.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You mean recorded history not human history. The Roman Warm Period enabled the Romans and Britons to grow crops only seen in areas these South France which are in the Northern Mediterranean climate zone. We are not at the point yet. Keep in mind the technological difference between the Roman period and now. So I am talking about basic agriculture not green houses or agriculture that only exists due to technology such as Cali's wine industry.

The Romans had central heating in their Brit properties, and of course the Romans recorded their weather patterns. But the situation now is at crisis point, and so say the majority of Weather Researchers.
But the Planet will survive, only with billions less humans and other Flora and Fauna.

However, what we are doing in Britain and Europe is helping to lift us away from the need for dirty fuel systems. We've got a long way to go because nearly all of our homes are gas heated, but our building regulations now provide for homes which can be heated with a few light bulbs... amazing. And our cities have much cleaner air now.

Shad

Veteran Member
The Romans had central heating in their Brit properties, and of course the Romans recorded their weather patterns. But the situation now is at crisis point, and so say the majority of Weather Researchers.
But the Planet will survive, only with billions less humans and other Flora and Fauna.

My point was never to dispute any modern models but that the Isles along with other areas had been effected by climate change during the Roman era. History of climate change as per the Roman Warm Period is different than modern models. For one the history is spotty and has no objective standard. Hence why I took issues with the claims of recorded history compared to recorded temperatures which only started over the last century. Those two are not comparable thus is a distortion to treat general history as if the same as modern models and methods.

However, what we are doing in Britain and Europe is helping to lift us away from the need for dirty fuel systems. We've got a long way to go because nearly all of our homes are gas heated, but our building regulations now provide for homes which can be heated with a few light bulbs... amazing. And our cities have much cleaner air now.

I need a source for the light bulb claim. Seems far fetched

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
My point was never to dispute any modern models but that the Isles along with other areas had been effected by climate change during the Roman era. History of climate change as per the Roman Warm Period is different than modern models. For one the history is spotty and has no objective standard. Hence why I took issues with the claims of recorded history compared to recorded temperatures which only started over the last century. Those two are not comparable thus is a distortion to treat general history as if the same as modern models and methods.

Such periods were recorded. So was the so called mini-Ice-age of the Medieval period. We know about that from written accounts as well as the amazing paintings of frozen rivers like the Thames etc. That is all a record.

But as I think you are saying, this is different now. The speed of the temperature rises, changes in weather patterns, sea level change. etc etc... well, I reckon that we cannot stop it, but we might possibly slow it down. I think that we're seeing the beginnings of a huge reduction in World population over the next century or two.

I know..... incredible, but that's what I have read. Mind you, all new buildings have four inches of underfloor insulation now, as well as amazing U-values for the whole properties.

I should think that google will have a record of this..... will go looking when I log out of RF.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Here is a BBC article about such homes.

Our television warms our lounge, kitchen and dining area quite nicely, but that is much hotter than a light bulb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/www.bbc.co.uk › news › uk-england-merseyside-34995666
Wirral '£15 a year' low energy house wins award - BBC News
3 Dec 2015 - A "simple" house which runs on the equivalent of a 40W light bulb at a cost of ... of insulation, airtight construction, a ventilation system with heat ...

Shad

Veteran Member
Such periods were recorded.

Not by an reliable standard.

So was the so called mini-Ice-age of the Medieval period. We know about that from written accounts as well as the amazing paintings of frozen rivers like the Thames etc. That is all a record.

Records of events is different from records of yearly temperatures.

But as I think you are saying, this is different now.

My point was about methods are not compared to modern methods and modern data.

The speed of the temperature rises, changes in weather patterns, sea level change. etc etc... well, I reckon that we cannot stop it, but we might possibly slow it down. I think that we're seeing the beginnings of a huge reduction in World population over the next century or two.

We can only reduce not stop in my view. Regarding population growth or decline I think that will be far more about personal choice. for the majority.

I know..... incredible, but that's what I have read. Mind you, all new buildings have four inches of underfloor insulation now, as well as amazing U-values for the whole properties.

So it is part of a whole new housing design I take it?

I should think that google will have a record of this..... will go looking when I log out of RF.

I tried using a general search but with you providing information regarding house designs I may have more lucky. Searching for heating regarding light bulbs comes up with a lot of results outside the subject in question.

Shad

Veteran Member
Here is a BBC article about such homes.

Our television warms our lounge, kitchen and dining area quite nicely, but that is much hotter than a light bulb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/www.bbc.co.uk › news › uk-england-merseyside-34995666
Wirral '£15 a year' low energy house wins award - BBC News
3 Dec 2015 - A "simple" house which runs on the equivalent of a 40W light bulb at a cost of ... of insulation, airtight construction, a ventilation system with heat ...

Thanks. Running on similar energy footprint makes more sense now.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Can Greta provide the answers?

Apparently not, but she does surround herself with some very scary looking people.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
If so, was that manmade?

For the sake of argument, let's say it's not man-made. Is it your advice that we should just sit back and let it destroy civilization, comforted by the fact that it wasn't our fault?

Notanumber

A Free Man
For the sake of argument, let's say it's not man-made. Is it your advice that we should just sit back and let it destroy civilization, comforted by the fact that it wasn't our fault?

The Greta puppeteers have a solution that is far more likely to destroy civilization than an increase in CO2 whether man-made or not.

This is well worth watching by anyone who has concerns.

This is far more concerning than an increase in CO2.

Antibiotic resistance

icehorse

Premium Member
The Greta puppeteers have a solution that is far more likely to destroy civilization than an increase in CO2 whether man-made or not.

This is well worth watching by anyone who has concerns.

I'm guessing this is a strawman, but I'm interesting in hearing your summary of this hour-long video. Just the key ideas would be great. thx - sincerely.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I'm guessing this is a strawman, but I'm interesting in hearing your summary of this hour-long video. Just the key ideas would be great. thx - sincerely.

If you read this, you will understand that Dr Moore has a far greater understanding of the climate than Greta ever will, but he is not the one that world leaders are listening to.

Does that not strike you as being illogical?

Patrick Moore: Should We Celebrate Carbon Dioxide? | The Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF)

If as he says, carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuels is the stuff of life, the staff of life, the currency of life, indeed the backbone of life on Earth. Why do our politicians want to impose taxes on it?

icehorse

Premium Member
If you read this, you will understand that Dr Moore has a far greater understanding of the climate than Greta ever will, but he is not the one that world leaders are listening to.

Does that not strike you as being illogical?

Patrick Moore: Should We Celebrate Carbon Dioxide? | The Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF)

If as he says, carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuels is the stuff of life, the staff of life, the currency of life, indeed the backbone of life on Earth. Why do our politicians want to impose taxes on it?

Sorry. I read the first page and it was riddled with fallacy arguments. If he had a really good case, he wouldn't need to resort to fallacies.

And, for the record, as Greta has said many times herself, she's not an expert, she is merely listening to what the experts say.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Sorry. I read the first page and it was riddled with fallacy arguments. If he had a really good case, he wouldn't need to resort to fallacies.

And, for the record, as Greta has said many times herself, she's not an expert, she is merely listening to what the experts say.

The problem is that Greta is listening to the wrong experts and the uninformed are listening to her.

Unlike Greta, this young woman is capable of answering questions but those with an agenda not only refuse to listen to her they refuse to give her a platform. We need a balanced debate not one-sided propaganda.

Can you highlight the fallacy arguments that you found so off-putting?

metis

What Greta has been saying is not only what the consensus of climate scientists have concluded but even what common sense should tell us. With overall temperatures clearly increasing in recent decades, and now with what we know how both CO2 and methane gas does in terms of heat retention, it's all really quite logical.

OTOH, if one believes more in right-wing politicians and their media, then they may draw a different opinion even if it doesn't stand up to basic scrutiny and even logic.