• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has Christianity failed?

Ori

Angel slayer
With more and more people 'converting' to other religions (Buddhism, Wicca, etc) and with people's different opinions on subjects that the Church deems sinful (homosexuality, abortions, etc), are the Christians dying out?

Maybe not quickly, possibly slowly but surely?

What do you guys think?

Tawn

Christianity has been weakened by the rise of science. This has resulted in some turning to other faiths instead of embracing non-belief. However, theres no reason to believe this trend will continue. It could stop and pan out.. Who knows?

Melody

orichalcum said:
With more and more people 'converting' to other religions (Buddhism, Wicca, etc) and with people's different opinions on subjects that the Church deems sinful (homosexuality, abortions, etc), are the Christians dying out?

What do you guys think?
By dying out, do you mean that you think one day the Christian faith will be extinct...completely? No...that won't happen. While some are converting to non-christian faiths, others are converting to Christianity.

Lloyd

Christianity is taking off in Africa and in some parts of Asia. In the past few decades alone, the vibrance of Christianity has probably been secured for centuries to come. In the west though, the religion is in a fairly serious state of decay. It really just comes down to manpower. If the best and brightest aren't going into seminary then yeah, there are going to be a lot problems. Ultimately though, it's really hard to predict the future with much accuracy at all. A century ago people were sounding the death knell of Christianity and religion in general. But at the beginning of the twenty first century that prediction couldn't be more false if you're looking at the global scale. I think what we're seeing is more of a huge transformation rather than a mere decline.

Lloyd

pah said:
Any idea why that is?
I don't know. It's a tad complex. For one, I know it's a vicious cycle. Church X makes some bone headed remark about science, thus the smart kid who could help Church X to stop making such bone headed remarks is turned off to being a part of Church X.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Every religion dies out sooner or later, but I think Christianity still has hundreds of years left to it.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
There have indeed been some Christian denominations who are completely extinct. Since the time that men embraced individual interpretation of the Bible many denominations have flourished (Luthers time). Some died down and others continued. Everybody thinking they are right. Personally I think this has done more damage then science has. After all, Catholicism does not reject evolution. The Pontifical Academy of Sciences was organized in October 1936 by Pope Piux XI, and its purpose is to foster research in the sciences.

~Victor

Pah

Uber all member
Renaldo said:
True, mello. For every 1 dropout there are 2 rejoining:D
Actually, I think Barna says that the percentage of population has remained about the same There hasn't been much change either way.

chuck010342

orichalcum said:

What do you guys think?

Define Christian