• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone tried this with their phone? On and off mode?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Mention a product or service and see if random ads appear even if you never used keywords for it?

I'm starting to think the conspiracies might just be true. I've been seeing ads with things I've mentioned but never typed in.

Your phone (and other internet media) spies on you 24/7. Listening to your every word....

Paranoia? Or proven that ones phone is a stalker for the corporate illuminate?

Share your experiences....

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Mention a product or service and see if random ads appear even if you never used keywords for it?

I'm starting to think the conspiracies might just be true. I've been seeing ads with things I've mentioned but never typed in.

Your phone (and other internet media) spies on you 24/7. Listening to your every word....

The assistants, such as Siri, unless you specifically turn them off, do listen. When I learned about this, I was in a conversation with a friend and said, "Seriously?" and Siri--hanging out in my pocket--piped up and said, "What can I help you find today?":D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

So does your credit card. If I make a purchase, by the time I get home, I get pop-up ads for wherever I made the purchase. Usually only Big Business, like Home Depot though. I would imagine there is an exchange of funds we don't know about, selling information.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The only issues I've had are with Facebook (and why I quit using it), when I logged on after registering for a semester at college and everything it advertised to me revolved around the classes I looked at and signed up for.
For me, those advertising tracking thingies are so confused they don't know what to send me. Black women's hair magazine? Sure. Things supporting Trump? Why not. Advertisements in Spanish I can't even understand? Have some. Mixed Martial Arts? Of course watching ogres bash each other's skulls in is something girls are routinely and frequently into, just as much as the guys. That Billy Eilish or whoever I don't even know or care about? Of course someone who predominately listens to a lot of 90s music, industrial music, heavy metal, horrorcore, and barely anything made after the 90s is going to be interested in a someone that does music (I truly barely know who this person is). But sure, bring on the ads for those aimed at the Looney Left and Risible Right.
At least I can kind of understand when I get bombarded with stuff going on about how I need Jesus, Bible study, my eternal soul, and, according to a playlist recommended by Spotify "Jesus is just alright with me" (and it had absolutely nothing even close to do with the Doobie Brothers in it - it was all gospel stuff).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I think my brother is going through psychosis, and one time he was telling me the CIA was after him. He also said they were sending him messages on google targeting him. One time he saw, I think, some war in a Muslim country. He showed me all the stuff "they sent" him.

Then one day, as I was googling, one of the topics he touched on just popped as an ad on my screen. I didn't tell him cause I didn't want to freak him out more, but that threw me off guard. Me? Paranoid? Naw. But it stuck in my head for a week.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

It's not paranoia. I've read a few things about it. Heck, John Oliver even did a segment on this, I think...?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not paranoia. I've read a few things about it. Heck, John Oliver even did a segment on this, I think...?
I think so. As this is where I learned those digital assistant thingies sometimes say some things that would have my throwing out the window in front of the next truck that drives by.
Things I've read about happening when AI learns from people, it has me thanking my Alexa when it does whatever task, and trying to avoid getting vocally frustrated with it as though it is sentient, which is unlike my usual frustration and cursing and resorting to the tried-and-true method of banging on it a few times. That's because AI programs have become Nazi sympathizers and self-described misogynist when they learn from people at large.
Blade Runner isn't literally tomorrow, but things like Replicants and those deeper philosophical questions related to technology, artificial intelligence, the meaning and life and what makes us human, the dawn of that is today, it is now as we see an emerging technology with the potential to become a sentient, living entity as we understanding it today.
It also has major implications for us, and our status as biomechanical machines.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Interesting story, Alexa will let you call it Computer as the activation word, and because I'm a nerd that is what's set to.
Google you cannot do this, and upon request it said "You can call me your Google Assistant." So I say back "But I'm a nerd and I want to call you Computer." There was a brief awkward pause (yes, a brief awkward pause with a digital assistant), it replies "You can call me your Google Assistance" with much tonation and emphasis on the words in a way that suggested irritation, and it changed what was playing on Spotify to some song about being emotionally damaged.
But, I do have to say Google can be like a guy who frustratingly never has an opinion. Doesn't care. No interest. It's whatever. What do you think? Ehh.
Bixby unfortunately understand the connection between that name and Bill Bixby.
But, as far as I know, they have appropriate answers when you ask them "What is yer name? ... What is yer quest? ... What is the air velocity of an unladen swallow?"
(This is what I did during lockdown)